Lowering 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4 WD

Hello everybody, I'm new here, but I thought this would be a good place to get my answers. I want to lower my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD . I know why would you want to lower a 4WD ?  Anyway , I know it can be done , my question is how would you go about it . It sits high in the back for obvious reasons. I'm thinking 4 in the back , and 2 in the front. Who has the best kit out there ? I know nothing about it. Any help would be helpful .If anybody has done  it , I would like your imput. Thank you in advance

My last truck was a crew cab 4x4 lowered. This truck is crew cab 2wd lowered 3/5.
So look at belltech or Mcg. But I say best is struts with the adjustable collars front. Rear is a flip kit. Just measure you driveshaft angles before.
Come to think about it that kit maybe a front spindle for the 2"

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I lowered my 4X4 truck, no issues here.

I did the drop struts that allow for 0-3in of front drop. Only went to 1.5in on the front on mine but it's very noticeable. Bought the bare strut kit from Mcgaughy and swapped my factory springs/mounts over.

For the rear I removed the factory 1.25in lift block, then installed 2in drop shackles. My truck is pretty much level with the slight rake because the rear is a touch bit higher but that is okay with me because I still use my truck for normal things. Only had to trim off the first "bump" on the factory bump stop to give me back the room I wanted.

Doing the flip kit was more money/work and I didn't need to go that low. So if a flip kit isn't what you are after, do what I did. I don't have any current pictures of what it looks like though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DominatorZ71 said:

You people that lower a 4x4 make me sick. Might as well convert to a 2wd because you'll never use that 4wd. Are you guys googling 

"How to make a 4WD truck useless?"

Everyone has their preference on how they want their truck to look.  It's their truck and it's not like you have to look at it every day or drive it every day, so stop crapping all over their preferences and let them enjoy what they enjoy.  They probably think your truck looks like absolute garbage but they aren't on here telling you so.

OP has a valid question that quite a bit of this community can actually relate to.  A lot of cool guys on here have their trucks lowered and I think a great lowering job is actually pretty sweet.  Always nice to see both ends, lowered and jacked up, and the creativity that some people have when it comes to truck aesthetics.

• Like 1

But I use my 4X4 every winter because it snows here, hasn't stopped me yet lol.

The vast majority of guys that level their trucks and run 33's or 35's still spend 90-95% of actual driven miles on tarmac, so what does it matter? I sure as hell would never take my $40-60k truck "offroading" in the deep woods or back country. It's 5,500lbs with a super long wheel base, not exactly ideal.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DominatorZ71 said:

You people that lower a 4x4 make me sick. Might as well convert to a 2wd because you'll never use that 4wd. Are you guys googling 

"How to make a 4WD truck useless?"

Except you make the (invalid) assumption that that having 4x4 means you want/need to go off-road.  I want (and have) 4WD for 2 reasons:

- Snow driving
- Bad boat ramps

My last truck (Escalade EXT) was AWD and lowered 2/3.  It had the auto-leveling suspension so towing wasn't impacted.  Hence the reason I am rocking factory 22" wheels/tires and nothing off-road oriented.  

Except you make the (invalid) assumption that that having 4x4 means you want/need to go off-road.  I want (and have) 4WD for 2 reasons:
- Snow driving
- Bad boat ramps

My last truck (Escalade EXT) was AWD and lowered 2/3.  It had the auto-leveling suspension so towing wasn't impacted.  Hence the reason I am rocking factory 22" wheels/tires and nothing off-road oriented.  
I agree I had a Escalade next on 22" and it is awd. My 2007 crew cab was 4wd and on 22" lowered.
You need to Google some truck race videos. Look up Lady Bug. Red single cab 4wd racing Nissan gtr with over 1000hp. Think he won 20k on that and in video watch the front tires smoke till they get traction. Also big diesel trucks do the same. And if you know your history there was 6cycle turbo awd from gm doing so good they stopped making them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd spend the extra $3500 for 4WD, just to have the "Auto / AWD" feature. 

I had no idea my Z71 had this for at least the first 6 months I owned it. 

I thought "auto" was were it would just engage 4WD high if it ever needed it. 

I didn't know it always had power to the fronts and would actually regulate the power to the fronts as it needed like an AWD vehicle. Full stomp on the throttle during a rainstorm and she just grips and goes. I LOVE IT!! 

Odds are i'll never do any type of true off-roading, just dirt roads and fields some, but i'll always buy a 4WD if it has the AWD feature from now on. 

Especially coming from my old 2002 Silverado that was the 1 wheel peel king.