RUST!? Interior Seat Frames - 2017 GMC Sierra

@L86 All Terrain What vent on the back are you referring to? I want to check that out. Thanks for the input. I have a call out to the service dept at my dealer now, waiting on a call back. I have a Roll'N'Lock bed cover installed on my truck but I don't think it allows any water to get in my vehicle, at least not that I've noticed. I still have 1 year left of B2B coverage. 

@NCPGMC Yes please do, get some pics! Thanks bud.

18 hours ago, wlezel said:

@L86 All Terrain What vent on the back are you referring to? I want to check that out. Thanks for the input. I have a call out to the service dept at my dealer now, waiting on a call back. I have a Roll'N'Lock bed cover installed on my truck but I don't think it allows any water to get in my vehicle, at least not that I've noticed. I still have 1 year left of B2B coverage. 

@NCPGMC Yes please do, get some pics! Thanks bud.

There is one or two black slotted vents on the back of the cab between the cab and the bed of the truck. Some users have reported when parked down hill the rain will run off the cover, down the front of the bed and find its way in through those slotted vents. Usually the slots are pointed down so I am not sure how that happens exactly but one member reported his carpet was soaked all the way to the gas pedal. 

The rust on my '17 is very superficial. Most of it seems to be on the frame and the rails...hard to tell on the rail but that is rust, not dust...nothing compared to @wlezel. I will say that the bottom of my seats seem to have a tremendous amount of "stuff" attached to them and getting a pic was hard. Does everyone else have a plastic bag with a filter-looking white sheet inside the bag attached to it?

20191028_173700.jpg

20191028_173911.jpg

20191028_173934.jpg

Welp dropped off the truck at the dealer today and was told it was normal and other trucks on the lot had it too....

I had the service guy show me some other trucks to prove it, even multiple 2018 models, and all of them had it in varying degrees.. unreal. 

He said with the humidity we’ve had in TN it’s fairly common and hard to argue with that since all the other trucks had it too... even my co workers 2016 has it.

So that’s the update... and it’s not the answer I wanted. But idk what else to do, it’s obvious gmc doesn’t coat this crap good enough, even my back seat has rust on the hinges AND on my factory jack stand itself. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, djw88 said:

its harmless flash rust. its not in plain sight and if the truck lasts 300,000 miles it will still look just like that. no harm in my opinion.

I agree...and I do see many vehicles with rust on the seat frame rails, under the dash, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just looked under the seats of my 3 week old Silverado and it's all rusty under there. 

The dealer is doing some promised work for me so I wanted to take a lot of pictures. (I don't trust anyone) That's when I saw all that rust! 

This is normal?

20200215_150427.jpg

20200215_145921.jpg