My Chevy App - connected service

It use to be free, Onstar told me that was their Beta version plus it was super slow.  I think I got a little break for signing for a year.  This version is much quicker BUT for what we pay for the trucks I think this should still be included.

It is free from the key fob it only costs if you want to use your phone. I pay for OnStar and the WiFi it has come in handy when I lock my keys in the car and I like telling Alexa to start my GMC. Mostly I just want the WiFi. I do travel a lot and OnStar can be handy. I can pull over at a rest stop and connect my laptop to work if I need to. 

21 hours ago, Mountain boy said:

It is free from the key fob it only costs if you want to use your phone. I pay for OnStar and the WiFi it has come in handy when I lock my keys in the car and I like telling Alexa to start my GMC. Mostly I just want the WiFi. I do travel a lot and OnStar can be handy. I can pull over at a rest stop and connect my laptop to work if I need to. 

Just an FYI it is cheaper to tether your laptop to your cell phone than to use On-Stars WiFi (Depending of course on your cell phone data package)...... I too travel a lot for work and the cost savings was substantial. I still pay for On-Star, just not the Wi-Fi.

Just an FYI it is cheaper to tether your laptop to your cell phone than to use On-Stars WiFi (Depending of course on your cell phone data package)...... I too travel a lot for work and the cost savings was substantial. I still pay for On-Star, just not the Wi-Fi.
Not necessarily. My unlimited onstar is $15 a month. To upgrade all 4 of our phones to unlimited is over $60 a month with verizon. I like to have control over kids' use so a 8g shared limit gives an excellent excuse. The onstar unlimited covers most of my non-wifi streaming, and everyone else when we go on road trips (or even to dinner). No contract either, so you can cancel and restart as needed...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Texas Daddy said:

Not necessarily. My unlimited onstar is $15 a month. To upgrade all 4 of our phones to unlimited is over $60 a month with verizon. I like to have control over kids' use so a 8g shared limit gives an excellent excuse. The onstar unlimited covers most of my non-wifi streaming, and everyone else when we go on road trips (or even to dinner). No contract either, so you can cancel and restart as needed...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

We can't get un-limited in Canada.... That is a good deal :)

It does seem wild that my 2016 Colorado I traded in gave me this service for free for 5 years.  Now I need to pay $15 a month!? Where are you all finding $13?  I was told this was a new standard price for all new Chevy's (not just trucks).

I love it during the winter months to get into a toasty truck.  This is all probably stemming from BMW charging a monthly fee for customers to use Apple CarPlay.  I guess I should be happy that Chevy hasn't followed down that path yet!

On 11/15/2019 at 12:19 AM, JAshworth03 said:

It does seem wild that my 2016 Colorado I traded in gave me this service for free for 5 years.  Now I need to pay $15 a month!? Where are you all finding $13?  I was told this was a new standard price for all new Chevy's (not just trucks).

I love it during the winter months to get into a toasty truck.  This is all probably stemming from BMW charging a monthly fee for customers to use Apple CarPlay.  I guess I should be happy that Chevy hasn't followed down that path yet!

The "Remote Access" plan is $14.99/month or $149.90 for the whole year (which comes out to $13/month):

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing/compare-plans/

If you negotiate with the rep you can usually get it for $99/year if you pay for the whole year at once.  That comes out to just over $9/month after taxes and fees are added.  The only downside is that you have to give them a credit card number and they will set you up to auto-renew at the full price.  Just set a reminder for yourself to call back in a year and re-negotiate.