How to remove zerks?

Hello all,

2016 GMC Denani

As Ive read on here multiple times I need to replace these zerks with a 90 or 45 degree fitting in order to grease them.

But how do I get them off in the first place?  Even my thin walled sockets dont work.  Brackets in the way.

Not too familiar with suspension stuff, I'd assume remove nut and bracket [ hopefully it is removable ], swap zerks, replace bracket and nut.  Is that the way or is that the please dont remove that nut way...?

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0876.HEIC IMG_0873.HEIC

Edited by MRSUIT

That plate is a camber plate. And has Mark's on it the align with the pin ad a way g
For the shop to line it up quick. Looks like you are maxed out. Anyways use a open or even box end on the side you can't get the socket on. Works every time.
I have no idea what or why you need to get to a zerk. But good luck. Other images didn't load.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

That plate is a camber plate. And has Mark's on it the align with the pin ad a way g
For the shop to line it up quick. Looks like you are maxed out. Anyways use a open or even box end on the side you can't get the socket on. Works every time.
I have no idea what or why you need to get to a zerk. But good luck. Other images didn't load.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What do you mean by “ maxed out “ ?

The reason I need to get to the zerk is to replace it with a 90 or 45 degree zerk so I can actually grease it.  I’ve got three grease guns and none will hook up to that zerk as that camber plate is in the way.  I’ve read multiple threads of people doing this but none saying how or having a problem.

Problem is the socket won’t fit inside the camber plate to hook onto the zerk.

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

i've only found two zerks that are greasable on this truck , you  cant even grease the tie rods its all sealed

Yea 1500s only have 2 - the same ones I’m talking about.  2500s have 11 I’ve read.

I’ve found out that “ lifetime “ now seems to mean 36,000 - 50,000 miles.  Everything else that needs to be greased needs a needle adapter.  My brother in law uses one and puts a little tad of 3M weatherstrip sealant over the pin hole and tries to use the same spot every time.  He’s sitting at 160,000 on his and everything’s looking great under there.

However my friend that’s on the I’ll look at it or fix it when it breaks method just had to replace his entire front suspension at about 120,000.   I saw it before he did it.  Boots we’re gone or just ripped and hanging on.  Everything that had a bushing was just metal on metal.  Driving it was a nightmare.   Trying to prevent that.  At least on as many parts as I can.

Edited by MRSUIT

Maybe the problem isn't with the location of the zerk fitting but with the fitting on your grease gun. Never met a zerk that I couldn't get to with a flexible hose and this right angle tip. Great for reaching in doing upper control arm zerks blindly with the wheel on the grounDSCN0714.JPG.c0b7cc8734f68ee84e48a39603ad3cdc.JPGDSCN0715.JPG.86ca98c5e2f9a55289428cfbf06231a7.JPGd.

55 minutes ago, MRSUIT said:

What do you mean by “ maxed out “ ?

The reason I need to get to the zerk is to replace it with a 90 or 45 degree zerk so I can actually grease it.  I’ve got three grease guns and none will hook up to that zerk as that camber plate is in the way.  I’ve read multiple threads of people doing this but none saying how or having a problem.

Problem is the socket won’t fit inside the camber plate to hook onto the zerk.

Dude, 

Those are not zerk fittings. 1slow1500 is correct in that they are alignment pins for camber.

From my understanding 2014-2018(k2) do not have any zerk fitting on them. 

20 minutes ago, BlancoSilverado said:

Dude, 

Those are not zerk fittings. 1slow1500 is correct in that they are alignment pins for camber.

From my understanding 2014-2018(k2) do not have any zerk fitting on them. 

Well here we go.  Much thanks to everyone.

There are 2 zerks but those are not it.  Yes they are pins.  The zerks are one D / S one P / S shown in pics below along with a cleaner pin pic.

image.jpg