Average cost for an oil change

How much do you pay for an oil change and the type of oil and filter, whether you do your own or pay to have it done?

Sent from Above

I use 8 quarts of Amsoil 0w20 Signature Series at $10 per quart and a $10 Wix XP filter, do it myself for under $100

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I use 8 quarts of Amsoil 0w20 Signature Series at $10 per quart and a $10 Wix XP filter, do it myself for under $100

Sent from Above

You change on 5K OCI's right so $90 / 5,000 = 2 cents a mile. Pretty cheap. 

• Like 1

How much do you pay for an oil change and the type of oil and filter, whether you do your own or pay to have it done?

Sent from Above

I use any one of the following. Mobil 1 EP, Shell Rotella gas truck, Pennzoil Platinum. All 0w-20 weight in my 5.3. On average cost me about $3/qt after rebates. AC Delco filter for $7.

I do all my own oil changes at around 3500 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

You change on 5K OCI's right so $90 / 5,000 = 2 cents a mile. Pretty cheap. 

Between 4-5k miles and yes sir! The average American spends 200 times more per day on coffee and at least 1000 times more on alcohol lol!

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

I use six quarts of Red Line HP at $ a quart 10.85. Buy the case cost me about $35 in shipping. I use a K & P stainless cleanable so that cost decreases with time and I pay the shop about $15 for the drop and fill. So also about 2 cents a mile on my 5K OCI's. Again cheap. 

• Like 1

I use six quarts of Red Line HP at $ a quart 10.85. Buy the case cost me about $35 in shipping. I use a K & P stainless cleanable so that cost decreases with time and I pay the shop about $15 for the drop and fill. So also about 2 cents a mile on my 5K OCI's. Again cheap. 

That’s right, you found it over the counter for that price, good job!

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

My last oil change cost me I want to say about $32 for 8 quarts of 0W20 from Napa (it's valvoline oil) and the Napa gold wix filter. I get a deal on stuff.

Normal walk in when that oil is on sale price is I think $4.50 a quart, so $36 plus the $8-9 filter.

I bought 21 quarts last time to do 3 different vehicles, so I was trying to break down the price because I don't have my receipt anymore.

I only change my oil twice a year as I only drive about 5,000 miles per year.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

My last oil change cost me I want to say about $32 for 8 quarts of 0W20 from Napa (it's valvoline oil) and the Napa gold wix filter. I get a deal on stuff.

Normal walk in would when that oil is on sale price is I think $4.50 a quart, so $36 plus the $8-9 filter.

I bought 21 quarts last time to do 3 different vehicles, so I was trying to break down the price because I don't have my receipt anymore.

I only change my oil twice a year as I only drive about 5,000 miles per year.

So $32 + $8.5 done on @2.5K OCI's = $0.016 a mile. 

• Like 1

Between 4-5k miles and yes sir! The average American spends 200 times more per day on coffee and at least 1000 times more on alcohol lol!

Sent from Above

And don’t forget about the bottled water too that people spend a crazy amount on. Good old tap water has been fine for me my whole life

• Like 1

And don’t forget about the bottled water too that people spend a crazy amount on. Good old tap water has been fine for me my whole life

Unless of course you live in Houston lol

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

Haven't run any of the synthetic castrol yet, it's up there in price though. I'd be curious if they sold it in the larger 5 quart jugs.

That's why I prefer the Napa/Valvoline or the Mobil1 because they offer those larger jugs and I only need to buy 4 of those instead of 20 single quarts.

Do it myself at work.

x2 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 @ $25/jug from Walmart.  I usually buy 3 at a time.

ACDelco PF-63 filter @ $3.70. 

Works out to be $5/quart, so $40 in oil and the $3.70 for the filter.

If I did it on a parts ticket at work for 2 gallons bulk ACDelco and a filter it would run me $31. 

• Like 1