Average cost for an oil change

1 minute ago, newdude said:

Do it myself at work.

x2 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 @ $25/jug from Walmart.  I usually buy 3 at a time.

ACDelco PF-63 filter @ $3.70. 

Works out to be $5/quart, so $40 in oil and the $3.70 for the filter.

If I did it on a parts ticket at work for 2 gallons bulk ACDelco and a filter it would run me $31. 

OCI? 

Haven't run any of the synthetic castrol yet, it's up there in price though. I'd be curious if they sold it in the larger 5 quart jugs.

That's why I prefer the Napa/Valvoline or the Mobil1 because they offer those larger jugs and I only need to buy 4 of those instead of 20 single quarts.

Heard really good reviews on it aacc3e27720fc2341a900a3dadcc26cd.plist

Sent from Above

Wonder if this is the same? Different picture?? This is from Walmart

4c00ff8b85245d9b454cd0949a208119.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe one is titanium and the other isn’t. Titanium costs more but great sale

Sent from Above

I believe one is titanium and the other isn’t. Titanium costs more but great sale

Sent from Above

This one mentions titanium too. I hate the marketing bullshit

• Like 1

About 2.5 gallons (10 quarts) of 15w40 Mobil Delvac 1300.  I've bought a few 5 gallon buckets when they go on sale for about $65 if I remember right and then Mobil rebates of either $25 or $35 on each 5 gallon bucket  It changed between one of my 10 gallon purchases.  M1-303A filter for about $10.  OCI of 5-8,000 miles depending on what the computer says.  I'll probably push this one out to 8k like blackstone suggested if the OLM doesn't hit 0 before then and see what the results are.

So it’s not the same thing, I thought it replaced the extended protection

Sent from Above

12 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

About 2.5 gallons (10 quarts) of 15w40 Mobil Delvac 1300.  I've bought a few 5 gallon buckets when they go on sale for about $65 if I remember right and then Mobil rebates of either $25 or $35 on each 5 gallon bucket  It changed between one of my 10 gallon purchases.  M1-303A filter for about $10.  OCI of 5-8,000 miles depending on what the computer says.  I'll probably push this one out to 8k like blackstone suggested if the OLM doesn't hit 0 before then and see what the results are.

So a median $30 rebate on a $65 dollar pail that services the truck twice. That's $35 in oil then, $10 on the filter. 

On 5 - 8K OCIs the cost is $0.006 - .009 per mile. 

• Like 2

So a median $30 rebate on a $65 dollar pail that services the truck twice. That's $35 in oil then, $10 on the filter. 
On 5 - 8K OCIs the cost is $0.006 - .009 per mile. 

That would mean at 8k miles I’d be at 00.0011 per mile. Wow!

Sent from Above

Here’s a run down of the Castrol Edge Oils

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/home/motor-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/motor-engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge-brand.html

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability... $19 bucks for 5 quarts... about $30 for the change.. Mobil 1 212A filter... about $12. It takes me about 20 minutes... So far very happy with my Sierra... I run the 5W30 and have the AFM disabled... i don't trust it.. i would rather have oil with a little body to it... 0W is probably just fine.. but my other engines don't use it... and i like keeping it simple...

Comparing the 2018 aluminum block 5.3 to my earlier '05 iron 5.3.. i think GM has gotten the piston slap under control from the mid 2000s. i imagine that the iron inserts in the aluminum block result in improved clearance specs.. these 5.3s are really Y-block engines. they are nice and meaty with the block extending way past the crank centerline. My F150 had plastic valve covers and a plastic oil pan. GM has a more industrial engine with die cast aluminum covers on the heads and oil pan.. i think it will hold oil in a lot better than my Ford 2.7 did... here is to hoping.

Edited by PPK
  • Like 2

5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability... $19 bucks for 5 quarts... about $30 for the change.. Mobil 1 212A filter... about $12. It takes me about 20 minutes... So far very happy with my Sierra... I run the 5W30 and have the AFM disabled... i don't trust it.. i would rather have oil with a little body to it... 0W is probably just fine.. but my other engines don't use it... and i like keeping it simple...

You’re only using 5 quarts and oci’s??

Sent from Above

8 quarts... when i get around to it but less than 5,000 miles. The key is to have a large magnet on the drain plug.. so you can see what iron is captured and use the M1 filter as it is 5 microns tighter.. i think 20 versus 25 microns.