2018 Broken Console Latch - Stuck and at wits end

Howdy all,

I recently did the pgamboa console swap with a 2014 console into my 2018. Upon installing the console the latch to the armrest snapped off. I’m lead to believe the spring disconnect behind the latch is broken as there is a ton of play on the remaining half of the latch (pictured). It’s locked everything I put inside away indefinitely including my house keys (just a spare thankfully!) and my only working phone charger outlet. I have no idea what to do as I’ve come at this stupid latch every way imaginable with pliers, pin punches, and screwdrivers. I’ve decided to dremel off the remaining latch hoping it will break the lock. Any advice here? Would it be possible to split the “shell” of the latch (bottom plastic part) apart and take the clips with it? Or is it time to pay the dealership a visit and have them rescue it. I already have a new latch in hand so this one is OK to destroy. 

6F4042EF-BDC8-4CBC-A4EB-19683B9342C5.jpeg

14 minutes ago, lerbud said:

Hope this helps:  

So did that guy take the leather trim piece off? It’s hard to understand those pictures. I’ll need to use that guide once the latch is un-snafu’ed

1 hour ago, Packers774 said:

Howdy all,

I recently did the pgamboa console swap with a 2014 console into my 2018. Upon installing the console the latch to the armrest snapped off. I’m lead to believe the spring disconnect behind the latch is broken as there is a ton of play on the remaining half of the latch (pictured). It’s locked everything I put inside away indefinitely including my house keys (just a spare thankfully!) and my only working phone charger outlet. I have no idea what to do as I’ve come at this stupid latch every way imaginable with pliers, pin punches, and screwdrivers. I’ve decided to dremel off the remaining latch hoping it will break the lock. Any advice here? Would it be possible to split the “shell” of the latch (bottom plastic part) apart and take the clips with it? Or is it time to pay the dealership a visit and have them rescue it. I already have a new latch in hand so this one is OK to destroy. 

6F4042EF-BDC8-4CBC-A4EB-19683B9342C5.jpeg

Go to an auto parts/Harbor Freight and pick up some cheap plastic trim tools, it is easier if you have a variety of sizes.

Start on one side, there are 3 clips on each side, and 2 in the front, I started from the side because if you start on one of the edges you will probably rip the material on the lid.

Get one tool between the top (soft leather like material) and the bottom (hard plastic) and start to pry apart.

once you have the first tool pretty far inside, get another one and do the same thing in another spot on the same side, once you have both going you will now just pull it apart.

2 or 3 screws hold the handle in place, and just reverse the steps to put it back together, just be patient when prying the pieces apart and lining them back up when putting back together.

Might as well put a chrome handle in while you are at it, I have done this in my last two trucks.

IMG_0830.jpg

Edited by JimCost2014

So my compartment is full nearly all the time with paperwork. My latch gets stuck all the time. The damn thing will just not open.

I figured out the trick. For some odd reason when there is any pressure pushing up on the lid (like if you slammed it shut when the compartment was too full) the mechanism will simply not operate.

All you gotta do is push down on the lid and then use the mechanism.

Hopefully this helps.

You just have to mess around with a small screw driver to pop it open. You tube has a few videos about this. I spent 20 minutes just sticking the crew driver in the slot and moving it around and it finally opened. Installing new latch is SIMPLE.

Mine hangs up every once in a while like you're describing - extra play in it but the handle won't open it. I find a good whack to the top of it gets things back in order and then it opens normally.

4 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

For those who installed the new chrome latch... Does the new latch come with the trim around it? I have the Cocoa/dune interior but dont want the black trim. 

Just the latch, "bezel" is black.

What color is the latch/bezel you have now?