So I want to switch out my stock muffler 2020 6.2 , leaving everything else stock ,after much searching sounds like a magnaflow 12919 or a dynamax non chambered muffler will give me the deep sound I want, but flapper on or off is undecided because of no clear info on drone. I don't wanr drone, so if I delete flappers and get it I have to put back in. is there anyone who has found a way to keep them open all the time? and then have them be closed back stock if need be? Also im unclear as to what type resonators my truck has, ive heard something about mesh? Im somewhat handicapped and haven't been able to get under truck to inspect for myself. thanks for any input on any of this...

I have a new Trail Boss 5.3L and cut out the muffler and the flapper valve and had a muffler shop weld in a pipe in their place.  Sounds great.  There is no resonator, just the mesh things which I can't figure out how they work or what they do.  It sounds awesome and no drone on the interstate so far.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've seen it's tough to get lots of sound out of these new trucks, I swapped a Carven TR series in (Moderate sound level muffler) and it was extremely quiet.  I taped over the rear mesh screens and it helped quite a bit, there's 3 mesh screens at the end of each tail pipe.  My guess is that it just disperses the exhaust in sections to help quiet it down since there's no restriction within the pipes.  But it drones bad from 100-110km.  A friend of mine (Same truck, 5.3 with the 8 speed) put the carven R series in (Race muffler) and it sounds 100x better than mine but it drones terrible as well.  

Magnaflow is definitely on the quiet side but it's worth trying to see if you like it.  It'll give you a low tone/rumble, especially if you leave the rear mesh screens alone.  If you have the $ look into corsa.  I've ran every muffler under the sun on my gas trucks and its the only muffler that has ZERO drone, it sounds completely stock on the highway.  But just as loud if not louder than any race muffler from the outside, there's a lot of design and technology in that muffler.  

For the flappers I'd get them cut out, you can pin them open if you want but I don't think they have much effect on the sound level.  If you do a muffler swap and leave the mesh screens alone along with the flapper it'll sound 100% stock in cab. 

16 hours ago, 19AT4 said:

From what I've seen it's tough to get lots of sound out of these new trucks, I swapped a Carven TR series in (Moderate sound level muffler) and it was extremely quiet.  I taped over the rear mesh screens and it helped quite a bit, there's 3 mesh screens at the end of each tail pipe.  My guess is that it just disperses the exhaust in sections to help quiet it down since there's no restriction within the pipes.  But it drones bad from 100-110km.  A friend of mine (Same truck, 5.3 with the 8 speed) put the carven R series in (Race muffler) and it sounds 100x better than mine but it drones terrible as well.  

Magnaflow is definitely on the quiet side but it's worth trying to see if you like it.  It'll give you a low tone/rumble, especially if you leave the rear mesh screens alone.  If you have the $ look into corsa.  I've ran every muffler under the sun on my gas trucks and its the only muffler that has ZERO drone, it sounds completely stock on the highway.  But just as loud if not louder than any race muffler from the outside, there's a lot of design and technology in that muffler.  

For the flappers I'd get them cut out, you can pin them open if you want but I don't think they have much effect on the sound level.  If you do a muffler swap and leave the mesh screens alone along with the flapper it'll sound 100% stock in cab. 

I have been wondering about that. I put the Gibson cat back on and there is a little drone in the 40-50 MPH zone but other then that none really. So I was wondering if I have those big "screen" things welded back into place, if that 40-50 MPH drone would also all but disappear..?? Thoughts? I kept them just incase. It would be super easy for a shop to do I would think as they are right where the rear hangers are located, just cut the pipes in the same location and weld back in..

20 minutes ago, michael betz said:

Cut out flapper , muffler , and those stupid resonator screens and replaced with stainless steel and borla atak. 

20191228_134721.jpg

What on earth is that thing? I thought the "screen" people were talking about were right before the piping goes into the bumper?? like this...

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-High-Country-Exhaust-System-2018-Detroit-Auto-Show-002.jpg

1 hour ago, Jay P said:

Those screen things are only on the 5.3l. The 6.2l has real resonators.

Jay

So since I do have the 6.2l, chances are if I do have those reattached 90-99% of the drone I do have should go away right?? 

1 hour ago, SquireSCA said:

Those screen resonators, as silly as they look, actually work.  

So what your saying, is if I get these  put back on there is a good chance the 40-50 MPH "helicopter" sound will all but go away?

Inkedresonator_LI2.jpg

2 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

Well, I have the 5.3 and it doesn't have resonator chambers like your pic shows... Mine has those square screens welded into the sides of the pipes...  I get droning when I cover them.  I don't get a helicopter sound because my motor has DFM rather than AFM...

I have the DFM too, and the heli sound come from when goes to two or less cylinders. Anybody have any input on getting these put back on?