Can't download apps on trucks radio. Am I an idiot??

I might be an idiot here... or just blind! I've searched and searched, even talked to GM support and they weren't helpful. 

On my 2018 Silverado (LT, Z71) with 8" mylink radio, I can NOT figure out how to download more apps. 

I DO NOT have On Star, but I do have the $20 a month unlimited data and it works as I use it for Pandora (That I did download when I bought the truck, just don't remember how and I did have the trial version of on star then). And my phone connects to the truck to use its wifi.

I have the icon named "Apps", when I open it I can not see anything about the "store" to browse for more apps. 

Now, in a bunch of videos online, they have "store" or "shop" as the app on the screen, with the same icon my truck has for "apps". 

Can you not get to the "store" or "shop" if you do not have on star? (but do still have wifi?)

If it matters, about 5 months ago I pulled the battery and after connecting everything back the wifi didnt work for about 2 weeks. and then 1 day just started working again. 

Thanks! And in the event someone comes back with a quick fix that I overlooked, I apologize for being an idiot!

it looks like you've got apps there for you to choose from..

I'm not sure what the issue is.

do you have a specific app that you want and are not able to find/download/etc?

(I believe apps are different based on whether you have an iphone connected through carplay or android through android auto)

The truck is not like a smartphone.  It comes with the apps that GM installs and you

cannot install other apps onto the truck. 

Where would you get new apps from?  The truck does not run Android or IOS operating

systems like a phone does.

I know you can download apps as I had to download pandora when I bought the truck.

I want to search for spotify as I've seen that in another truck before, so I know GM has an app for it. 

Thats my issue, I can't get to the screen to search the apps that can be downloaded to my trucks radio. 

Hitting the + just opens that app. 

Marketplace is something to do with ordering food and what not. other stuff too, but once I realized it wasnt the "app" store, I left it alone. 

This morning my radio was freezing up, just a blank screen.

Going to pull fuses later and see if that helps anything. 

• Like 1

I have Spotify on my phone as well as Waze and numerous other apps. They all appear to be available when I have my S10+ plugged into the truck via usb. I just use Android Auto on my phone when I connect to the truck.

44 minutes ago, 426ted said:

I have Spotify on my phone as well as Waze and numerous other apps. They all appear to be available when I have my S10+ plugged into the truck via usb. I just use Android Auto on my phone when I connect to the truck.

This right here. I leave the radio alone, always plug in my phone and use Apple Car Play. That's what you really should be doing..

• Like 1

I don't like to fool with my phone when I get in the truck. 

Like my pandora now, I downloaded that to the truck.

So i get in, hit the pandora icon on the dash and it starts playing. and I don't have to jack with my phone or cords at all. 

What started all this is the wife wants to cancel pandora and get spotify and I was just trying to get the spotify app on my screen instead of pandora. 

4 hours ago, rah7777777 said:

I don't like to fool with my phone when I get in the truck. 

Like my pandora now, I downloaded that to the truck.

So i get in, hit the pandora icon on the dash and it starts playing. and I don't have to jack with my phone or cords at all. 

What started all this is the wife wants to cancel pandora and get spotify and I was just trying to get the spotify app on my screen instead of pandora. 

Plugging in one cable is hardly fooling with the phone. When you do that, then the process is the same. Tap on the Pandora/Spotify icon that your phone will be mirroring to your truck's head unit.