Check Engine Light

My check engine light keeps coming on when I drive on the highway with my plow on (2018 GMC 2500 Duramax).  The Dealer says it is a low airflow to the charge air cooler up front.  I never had a problem with my 2015 Chevy 3500 Duramax for 3 years with the same plow..help.

53 minutes ago, djenkins said:

My check engine light keeps coming on when I drive on the highway with my plow on (2018 GMC 2500 Duramax).  The Dealer says it is a low airflow to the charge air cooler up front.  I never had a problem with my 2015 Chevy 3500 Duramax for 3 years with the same plow..help.

1) this is the half ton forum

2) we cant tell you much of anything without knowing what the code was. P0457 for example. If you can get the code we can help you diagnose from there. Could have a boost leak, take a look at the silicone boots on the charge pipes up to the cooler and make sure none are torn or have loose clamps. When was the last time you changed the air filter? Does it seem gutless like the turbo isn't making full boost? 

In general I find the air flow to the radiator with the plow on is best with the blade lowered very low - like about 4 inches above the pavement on the highway - but in parking lots remember to raise it because the curbs are easy to hit +-

Some of GM's thoughts:

. With a snow plow attached, the engine coolant temperature gauge may show a higher temperature than while driving without one. The snow plow could block the airflow to the radiator. This could be more noticeable as vehicle speed increases.

At speeds above 72 km (45 mph), this may cause the engine coolant to overheat.

. To increase the airflow, move the snow plow blade position.

. If driving more than 24 km (15 mi), angle the plow blade position.