Auto high beam headlight issue. **SOLVED**

On 12/23/2019 at 10:11 PM, 19 Denali ultimate said:

I have a 19 Denali ultimate with the automatic system for the high beams and am having an issue.  I was also wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and what was done to fix it.  About 95 to 98 percent of the time they will not activate at all, it is like the push button switch on the end of the turn signal isn't working.   The odd time it does come on, it will shut off randomly.  I completely understand how the system works, so I know that all the necessary circumstances are being met for them to work, but the system shuts off completely.   I can try turning the auto high beam system on over and over time and time again but it won't turn on.  It is going in soon for another recall and will have  it checked then but was curious if I am not alone in this lol.   Thanks.

Did they confirm what the problem was and actually fix it? My 19 AT4 has been doing the same thing recently. All of a sudden I look down and the auto high beam light in the gauge has turned itself off, I attempt to turn it back on and it doesn’t respond. Then maybe a few miles down the road it will just come right back on by itself. Until a car approaches, then the high beams go off automatically and also the auto light goes off again in the gauge cluster and repeats the process. So frustrating!

Edited by JBottoms

They told me it was an ambient light sensor in/on the front bumper.  I don't use the feature a lot but yesterday morning on my way home from work I went to use it and it did not work the entire 35 min drive.  Parked in the garage, shut off truck, opened door, restarted truck and they worked fine in park in a 6000k led lit garage.  Go figure.

• 3 weeks later...

2020 Silverado Intellibeam Has literally been working the opposite. On my morning/evening commutes, the high beams will not turn on under pitch black conditions, only when it detects lights or on-coming traffic. Although I live in northern Michigan, my windshield is clear and the camera doesn’t have any obstructions. I cannot even turn the system off by pulling the lever for 40-60 seconds, as the instrument cluster icon will reappear. I have taken multiple videos of this in action, as the dealership thought I was an idiot when I told them the problem. They then confirmed that the instrument cluster had been misfiring codes and would be warrantied. This marks the 5th warranty in the first 10,000...not impressed with the new technology

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, Jim Bob Cooter said:

2020 Silverado Intellibeam Has literally been working the opposite. On my morning/evening commutes, the high beams will not turn on under pitch black conditions, only when it detects lights or on-coming traffic. Although I live in northern Michigan, my windshield is clear and the camera doesn’t have any obstructions. I cannot even turn the system off by pulling the lever for 40-60 seconds, as the instrument cluster icon will reappear. I have taken multiple videos of this in action, as the dealership thought I was an idiot when I told them the problem. They then confirmed that the instrument cluster had been misfiring codes and would be warrantied. This marks the 5th warranty in the first 10,000...not impressed with the new technology

The new (T1's) ones aren't activated the same way as the older (K2's) ones were.

The 2020 Silverado is a T2 truck.

Intellibeam on the new style trucks:

On the new ones there is a button on the end of the blinker stock.

Turning On and Enabling IntelliBeam  (on the T2 trucks)

image.png.1dd6b2ebbded031447e220a30c5f5607.png

To enable the IntelliBeam system, press button the turn signal lever when it is
dark outside and the exterior lamp control is in AUTO or 2.

Driving with IntelliBeam
The system only activates the high beams when driving over 40 km/h (25 mph).
The blue high-beam on light appears on the instrument cluster when the high beams are on.
There is a sensor near the top center of the windshield that automatically controls the system. Keep this area of the windshield clear of debris to allow for best system performance.

The high-beam headlamps remain on, under the automatic control, until one of the
following situations occurs:
. The system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps.
. The system detects a preceding vehicle's taillamps.
. The outside light is bright enough that high-beam headlamps are not required.
. The vehicle's speed drops below 20 km/h (12 mph).
. The IntelliBeam system is disabled by the button on the turn signal lever. If this happens, press button bon the turn signal lever when the exterior lamp control is in the AUTO or 2 position to reactivate the IntelliBeam system. The instrument cluster light will come on to indicate the IntelliBeam system is reactivated.

The high beams may not turn off automatically if the system cannot detect another vehicle's lamps because of any of the following:
. The other vehicle's lamps are missing, damaged, obstructed from view, or otherwise undetected.
. The other vehicle's lamps are covered with dirt, snow, and/or road spray.
. The other vehicle's lamps cannot be detected due to dense exhaust, smoke, fog, snow, road spray, mist, or other airborne obstructions.
. The vehicle's windshield is dirty, cracked, or obstructed by something that blocks the view of the light sensor.
. The vehicle is loaded such that the front end points upward, causing the light sensor to aim high and not detect headlamps and taillamps.

. Driving on winding or hilly roads.

The automatic high-beam headlamps may need to be disabled if any of the above conditions exist. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 12:12 PM, redwngr said:

The new (T1's) ones aren't activated the same way as the older (K2's) ones were.

The 2020 Silverado is a T2 truck.

Intellibeam on the new style trucks:

On the new ones there is a button on the end of the blinker stock.

Turning On and Enabling IntelliBeam  (on the T2 trucks)

image.png.1dd6b2ebbded031447e220a30c5f5607.png

To enable the IntelliBeam system, press button the turn signal lever when it is
dark outside and the exterior lamp control is in AUTO or 2.

Driving with IntelliBeam
The system only activates the high beams when driving over 40 km/h (25 mph).
The blue high-beam on light appears on the instrument cluster when the high beams are on.
There is a sensor near the top center of the windshield that automatically controls the system. Keep this area of the windshield clear of debris to allow for best system performance.

The high-beam headlamps remain on, under the automatic control, until one of the
following situations occurs:
. The system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps.
. The system detects a preceding vehicle's taillamps.
. The outside light is bright enough that high-beam headlamps are not required.
. The vehicle's speed drops below 20 km/h (12 mph).
. The IntelliBeam system is disabled by the button on the turn signal lever. If this happens, press button bon the turn signal lever when the exterior lamp control is in the AUTO or 2 position to reactivate the IntelliBeam system. The instrument cluster light will come on to indicate the IntelliBeam system is reactivated.

The high beams may not turn off automatically if the system cannot detect another vehicle's lamps because of any of the following:
. The other vehicle's lamps are missing, damaged, obstructed from view, or otherwise undetected.
. The other vehicle's lamps are covered with dirt, snow, and/or road spray.
. The other vehicle's lamps cannot be detected due to dense exhaust, smoke, fog, snow, road spray, mist, or other airborne obstructions.
. The vehicle's windshield is dirty, cracked, or obstructed by something that blocks the view of the light sensor.
. The vehicle is loaded such that the front end points upward, causing the light sensor to aim high and not detect headlamps and taillamps.

. Driving on winding or hilly roads.

The automatic high-beam headlamps may need to be disabled if any of the above conditions exist. 

Think we all understand how the intellibeam works. The problem is the system turning itself on and off without pushing the button at random times.  Mine does the same, when it turns itself off no amount of pushing the button turns it on.

• 10 months later...

My 2020 GMC 2500 HD Denali does the same thing… it works sporadically even under optimal conditions… my sensor gage light will come on and go off for no reason… it’s my understanding that if I press the button the gage indicator should come on, regardless of conditions… the high beams should come on automatically under the right conditions and the blue high beam gage light comes on.  However, my sensor gage light fluctuates randomly for no reason and all the button pressing on a dark road will do nothing, then sporadically 5 minutes later the sensor gage indicator pops on by itself and the high beams kick on at the same time. My thought is that there’s a loose wire connected to the button which is why it goes on and off sporadically by itself and occasionally comes on when I press it, and/or it’s a bad sensor somewhere, windshield, bumper, who knows, never took it in to be looked at.  Regardless though, if I press the button on the turn signal arm, the auto high beam sensor gage light should come on giving me the indication that the feature is activated and ready to work under optimal conditions, but that’s not the case on my truck, it’s Willy Nilly, press it all you want, some times the indicator comes on most times it doesn’t. It’s like it has a mind of its own, very frustrating. So I generally just manually put the high beams on. Would love a fix for it if one is out there. 

• 1 month later...

We just purchased a 2024 equinox and have 1900 miles on it had it to the dealer the first week for the same issue and nothing. They pretty much told my wife she was crazy. I’ve been a mechanic for over 40 years at multiple dealers and independent shops. I’m waiting to see an update for the lighting control module but nothing yet. The more comforts on a car the more problems are attached.