Disappointed With This Scratch and Dent

Found this over the weekend while washing the truck, very disappointed ?. Still trying to figure out how it happened ?. Looking at the angle, best guess is a stone was flung from behind by a lower vehicle. There is a dent which is hard to see from this angle but i'm more disappointed with the chipped paint. 

bed_scratch.thumb.jpg.8961d906913c76d7baf3a8c96cf70bd5.jpg

Any thoughts on how i could get this fixed economically?

15 minutes ago, truck_newbie said:

Still trying to figure out how it happened ?

Don't spend another second on this and get it repaired.  It happens to everyone who has owned a vehicle for more than 5 minutes.  As an aside,  I moved my young family to mile 300 of the Alaska highway in the late 70's.  I bought a new '78 E150 (Van) for the new adventure. When we reached our destination, I looked at the sides of my pride & joy and wept!  In those days most of the Alaska highway was unpaved.  You can do every type of protection available for your vehicle but you can't control what others toss at you ? 

Like said, paintless dent repair for the dent and Automotivetouchup.com for the paint. They're down the road in New Orleans and have used them for several colors through many years with a perfect match. I use a quality brush from an art/hobby shop. Apply base and build up the clear just above the factory clear, wet sand until level then buff. If you're not comfortable doing it or don't have the materials equip etc, get a good shop to do it. 

43 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

Like said, paintless dent repair for the dent and Automotivetouchup.com for the paint. They're down the road in New Orleans and have used them for several colors through many years with a perfect match. I use a quality brush from an art/hobby shop. Apply base and build up the clear just above the factory clear, wet sand until level then buff. If you're not comfortable doing it or don't have the materials equip etc, get a good shop to do it. 

X2

My truck is now 5 years old and I've used this procedure since day one. My PDR guy is awesome and my skill has improved with every chip. I'd have to point them out to you for you to find them. I buy the paint pens from the dealer however but still use high grade art brushes instead of the 'broom' they supply. :) 

3000 and 5000 foam back papers are your friend until you gain some skill at it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

X2

My truck is now 5 years old and I've used this procedure since day one. My PDR guy is awesome and my skill has improved with every chip. I'd have to point them out to you for you to find them. I buy the paint pens from the dealer however but still use high grade art brushes instead of the 'broom' they supply. :) 

3000 and 5000 foam back papers are your friend until you gain some skill at it. 

Yep, several years ago I invested un a polisher, foam pads and everything I need to DIY.   I'm  glad I have everyting with all the vehicles and motorcycles I own. Polishing scuffs, bug stains, wet sanding scratches etc pays for itself.

Thanks for the responses y'all. Will definitely be getting it repaired sooner than later. I was hoping to get through at least 1 year without any damage but oh well. I will be proceeding with the thread consensus of PDR for the dent and touch-up paint for the chip. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/6/2020 at 6:59 PM, truck_newbie said:

Thanks for the responses y'all. Will definitely be getting it repaired sooner than later. I was hoping to get through at least 1 year without any damage but oh well. I will be proceeding with the thread consensus of PDR for the dent and touch-up paint for the chip. 

Yeah I was too.. then with 16 miles on the clock driving home from the dealership I got the rock chip of a lifetime.. Oh well. 

There's just nothing worse ...   for me, it's usually a rock chip on the windshield.  Oh the irony since I go out of my way to avoid dump trucks and following right behind people.