New (used) Truck Repairs / Issues

Morning! I recently purchased a 2015 Silverado 2500 for myself and I’ve come across a few things I didn’t know if anyone else had experience with.

1.) the previous owner had what I assume was a toolbox bolted into the bed and removed it when he sold it so there are about 10 small screw holes through the bed liner, didn’t know if there was a good way to weathertight seal these.

2.) there is some dried concrete in the bed liner and some comments I saw were that chemicals used to remove it also ate away the bed liner so I’m trying to avoid those ones. Not sure if there was a good way to remove it.

3.) the trailer hitch sleeve reducer was left in for a while and has rusted into the hitch itself, I’ve tried hammering it from inside out, using WD-40 and a couple other products with no progress at all. 

Can You remove the bed liner? Is the bed liner the spray in kind? If it’s just the stock box get a spray in bed liner done and have them plug the holes. 

The trailer hitch sleeve rusted in. I have had good results with straight vinegar on rust, it may take some time to soak all the way in. That’s a tough spot to soak it but keep applying it should work.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:18 AM, AJN315 said:

Morning! I recently purchased a 2015 Silverado 2500 for myself and I’ve come across a few things I didn’t know if anyone else had experience with.

1.) the previous owner had what I assume was a toolbox bolted into the bed and removed it when he sold it so there are about 10 small screw holes through the bed liner, didn’t know if there was a good way to weathertight seal these.

2.) there is some dried concrete in the bed liner and some comments I saw were that chemicals used to remove it also ate away the bed liner so I’m trying to avoid those ones. Not sure if there was a good way to remove it.

3.) the trailer hitch sleeve reducer was left in for a while and has rusted into the hitch itself, I’ve tried hammering it from inside out, using WD-40 and a couple other products with no progress at all. 

I've had ball mounts rust into hitches (on a 1500) but the sleeves I've had for this and my '11 were so loose I'm surprised it's possible for one to sieze in place.

Air hammer might help rattle it out? We've found lots of things over the years that didn't seem moveable with an f'n big hammer, but that the rapid and repeatable vibration from an air hammer would move.

Might have to resort to using a hacksaw or sawzall type jigsaw to cut a slot in the sleeve. 

The box floor should have factory holes in it for drains. Might be that the liner holes line up with the factory holes in the box.

Larger ones in corners and a small ones in the rib hollows, all near the front of box.  

If the concrete dried to the liner is really an issue -- I'd throw the liner out and get it a spray-in.  (of course, it'll look like new!)

On 1/15/2020 at 10:26 PM, Woz said:

Can You remove the bed liner? Is the bed liner the spray in kind? If it’s just the stock box get a spray in bed liner done and have them plug the holes. 

The trailer hitch sleeve rusted in. I have had good results with straight vinegar on rust, it may take some time to soak all the way in. That’s a tough spot to soak it but keep applying it should work.

The liner is a spray in, I’ll look into having it redone completely, seeing that the concrete is also bothering me a little bit.

I’ll try vinegar on the hitch for sure, thanks for that idea

15 hours ago, redwngr said:

I've had ball mounts rust into hitches (on a 1500) but the sleeves I've had for this and my '11 were so loose I'm surprised it's possible for one to sieze in place.

Air hammer might help rattle it out? We've found lots of things over the years that didn't seem moveable with an f'n big hammer, but that the rapid and repeatable vibration from an air hammer would move.

Might have to resort to using a hacksaw or sawzall type jigsaw to cut a slot in the sleeve. 

The box floor should have factory holes in it for drains. Might be that the liner holes line up with the factory holes in the box.

Larger ones in corners and a small ones in the rib hollows, all near the front of box.  

If the concrete dried to the liner is really an issue -- I'd throw the liner out and get it a spray-in.  (of course, it'll look like new!)

Oh the air hammer seems like a great idea, I’ll have to pick one up and try that out, thanks for that.

I’ll check the holes and do a little more research to see if they are meant to be or what the deal is, thank you