Horrible MPG, what’s wrong with my truck!

On 1/17/2020 at 12:11 PM, Leevon said:

How many total miles on your truck?  Does seem very low, but keep in mind winter blend has a big impact and the engines/computers are designed to run richer to a certain mileage (got this tidbit in a GM class and it matches anecdotal accounts).   I could see that improving by 4-5mpg.  My LT Trail Boss did only 16.7mpg on a 1300 mile trip this week, no so great.  

How do they get the EPA rating then?  Do they run a different programming on the test vehicle?  Seems to me like they would be using a brand new vehicle and if that is true about running richer during the break-in period, that would negatively impact their EPA and CARB results.

1 hour ago, BlaineBug said:

How do they get the EPA rating then?  Do they run a different programming on the test vehicle?  Seems to me like they would be using a brand new vehicle and if that is true about running richer during the break-in period, that would negatively impact their EPA and CARB results.

Why in the whirled would they use a brand new truck for this?

Would you do this on a dyno to get the HP rating?

I agree, perfect conditions, as ideal as possible.  But I am sure that they use a brand new truck with very low miles.  But obviously a truck running rich as per the engine computer default would not work in their favor.

It wouldn't surprise me that some programming curve is set for the vehicle's break in period but then again I can't see them utilizing that for their EPA tests.  But the EPA is rather strict on that.  Somehow it was found out that VW made their vehicles run more efficient when plugged in to the OBD port.  Somehow those beans were spilled!

My 2019 LTZ Z71 with off road and towing, 5.3L gets 22mpg, and 10-12 mpg when towing my 7000 lb travel trailer. Hate the small fuel tank when towing. I traded in my 2016 2500HD LTZ Z71 crew cab to get some better mpg when towing, but the trade off in the smaller tank, not sure it was worth it! 

Its unbelievable the horrible MPG these new trucks get this isnt that abnormal from what Ive seen.  Engines that can run on one cylinder and 10 speed trannys that get exactly what my 2008 VortecMax gets with a 6.0L and a 4 speed. 

Edited by Pinnacle

Increased emissions standards are a killer.  My Mother had a 1982 Volkswagen Jetta non-turbo Diesel that got close to 40 mpg city.  Where have all of the supposed "economic" vehicles went?  That car was less than $10,000 when it was bought brand new as well.  You can't find anything close to it today.

Edited by BlaineBug

On 1/15/2020 at 2:46 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

Coolant temp in Celsius but odometer and fuel economy in MPG?

On metric trucks, the painted faces on gauges are in Celsius, but the electronic stuff is still selectable for inch or metric units. 

He either prefers inch units (like me) or displayed the inch units since there are more inch unit vehicles represented on the forum.

The fuel economy distance on metric trucks is 100 km. 

When switched to inch it still uses the same distance (100 km=62 miles) (other choices include 31 miles, which is 50 km, etc)

With a denali dash, the electric gauge faces (instead of painted) will also switch to inch units. 

On the GM' trucks the inch unit displays use US gallons.  They don't offer a choice for imperial gallons.

• Confused 1

On 1/15/2020 at 4:54 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

I believe with less than 2889km(1800miles) OP probably bought new.

Now did OP buy in Canada and drive it to USA? IDK.

In the photo he has the dash set for inch units.

Easy to change in the dic -- I change mine frequently. 

It's displaying 2889mi (or about 4650 km)

5 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

Increased emissions standards are a killer.  My Mother had a 1982 Volkswagen Jetta non-turbo Diesel that got close to 40 mpg city.  Where have all of the supposed "economic" vehicles went?  That car was less than $10,000 when it was bought brand new as well.  You can't find anything close to it today.

Back then EVERYTHING was a lot less expensive.  EVERYTHING.  Housing, vehicles, food, cars/trucks, wages.  They say that progressive change is good change, yet it comes with a cost.  Everything becomes more expensive and more complex.   Those of us who have been around awhile, yearn for the simple life.  I do.  I loved it.  As I am sure many others on here did.  But then there is the other side of society who wants more, more, more, be it more conservation/saving the planet, or more money, or whatever. 

Would I be happy driving a 1989 Chevy 2500 454 or 1989 1500 5.7L TBI?  Absolutely (as long as it has extended or crew cab, I need the room!) But no.  We needed more and needed better.  <sigh> 

I wasn't commenting so much on the price, I understand inflation.  In fact there are still teeny-tiny cars that can be bought brand new for not more more than $10,000 these days.  But with all of the technological advances we have had, many brand new "economical" cars aren't getting 30 mpg city.  What gives?  We were just about able to do it 40 years ago with the technology of the time.  EPA and emissions have killed efficiency, in the guise of "efficiency."

Food for thought, compare the size of the brand new Ford Ranger to the Ford Ranger of a mere 15 years ago.

Edited by BlaineBug

• 2 weeks later...