Loading an atv

Hi, I just purchased a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 slt crew cab that comes with the multipro tailgate. My question? Has anyone tried loading a full size atv into the bed of their truck? I fully recognize these tailgates are expensive, I just want to know if they'll hold up. I've read the tailgate has a 375 lb load capacity which should be ample for carrying the back end of an atv. I'm looking for feedback from "anyone" that has or tried to do this. Thank you.

Maybe get a piece of angle iron cut to the width of the bed so it distributes the weight from the inner gate to the outside parts of the full tailgate. Dont think i would be too worried about the weight of the atv while driving but if you are get a sheet of plywood or a 2x4 to pit under the tires and distribute the weight then too. 

Edited by smrr1

2 hours ago, sgosnell said:

Hi, I just purchased a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 slt crew cab that comes with the multipro tailgate. My question? Has anyone tried loading a full size atv into the bed of their truck? I fully recognize these tailgates are expensive, I just want to know if they'll hold up. I've read the tailgate has a 375 lb load capacity which should be ample for carrying the back end of an atv. I'm looking for feedback from "anyone" that has or tried to do this. Thank you.

no experience as i trailer mine, but i see it all the time. got to think you're good to go. TSC has a lightweight 5x8 that drops to like 4-450 here and there on sale fit the wheeler perfect. my oversized tires and front and rear guards make bed loading a pita.

Thank you both for your replies. I have considered placing a sheet of plywood to help distribute the weight, I'll probably go that route. I did the same thing on my 4' x 7' Tractor Supply trailer. It has a mesh bottom and by placing (2) full length  boards the weight is distributed and prevents sagging. I'm just looking at the option to haul my atv in the bed instead of always trailering it long distances.

Look in your manual, there is a specific way to load an atv. Basically do not put the ramps on the step part of the tailgate unless you have something to distribute the weight the full width of the tailgate.

5 hours ago, GregG10 said:

Look in your manual, there is a specific way to load an atv. Basically do not put the ramps on the step part of the tailgate unless you have something to distribute the weight the full width of the tailgate.

I saw that after I posted this. I will definitely utilize that if I attempt to load. Thank you. 

I’ve done it in my AT4 several times. I bought a black widow ramp that stretches basically the entire width of the tailgate so that all of the ATV’s weight is not just on the secondary tailgate part. I’ve had no issues with it this entire deer season. The outer prongs of the ramp rest on the main tailgate to distribute the load.

11 hours ago, M R Trucks said:

I’ve done it in my AT4 several times. I bought a black widow ramp that stretches basically the entire width of the tailgate so that all of the ATV’s weight is not just on the secondary tailgate part. I’ve had no issues with it this entire deer season. The outer prongs of the ramp rest on the main tailgate to distribute the load.

That's good to hear! I've got some questions for you please. 1- Do you have the 5.8' bed? 2- Are you loading a full size atv? 3- Is your BW ramp the that is 50" wide like the one I've attached? Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20200124-081301_Chrome.jpg

5 minutes ago, sgosnell said:

That's good to hear! I've got some questions for you please. 1- Do you have the 5.8' bed? 2- Are you loading a full size atv? 3- Is your BW ramp the that is 50" wide like the one I've attached? Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20200124-081301_Chrome.jpg

Yes, I have the 5’8” bed. It’s a full size Yamaha Grizzly 700, and I bought the 50 inch wide ramps 6’5” long. It has worked well so far. I think with shipping the total was around $160

64F736F4-6A4C-49B4-865C-490D49C7374D.png

MR Truck - Just my luck - Haha!

I would like to make one clarification for anyone that may later need this information. Based on my measurements of the tailgate, a 54" wide ramp is best to completely extend beyond the inner section of the multipro tailgate that can lower. A 52" wide ramp may do fine but what's a few extra bucks to be in the clear and less worry?

Note: To clear up any confusion that may have arose over some talking points in this discussion: The specs on the black widow extra-wide ramp is actually 54" not 50". 

Thanks again for all the info MR Truck!

Edited by sgosnell

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve loaded up my quad many many times as well as snowmobiles.

You don’t want to go cheap on this... i first used a couple $150-250 Ramps and both fukin failed almost killing myself..

My sportsman 850 is 785 pounds DRY....
Add all the fluids (100 pounds easily with a full tank of gas) and my fat ass and you really have serious weight.

I ended up with the “Caliber Pro 2”

It’s 90 by 52 and rock solid. Their clamp system that secures the ramp to the truck is heavy duty and very high quality, the hooks that rest on the lip of the tailgate are very thick and strong.

I wouldn’t mess around, not worth it with how high the truck is. It’s a very dangerous situation when one ramp fails. You don’t want to experience this.

The last pic you can see the first pair of shiit Ramps I got that gave out on the second use, almost flipped the quad Over on top of me... lesson learned

65fbc707fcfa981cd0be54be1b0cbd08.jpga3c340b19400bdfc69934fe17c393c88.movcccdba3e87e95598a8ac859f1dcbb18e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk