3.73 vs 4.10 mpg

Just baught brand new 2019 chevy 2500 ext. Cab 8' bed

Stock everything no lift no big tires 

6 speed

4.10 gear

I drive 100 miles plus every day 90% highway 10% city

I hardly tow.

Payload is a ladder rack with 500lbs or less. I avg 11mpg my question is should I switch to 3.73? Like I said I dont tow so what's the expected mpg on a stock 2500 6.0 with 3.73 thank you in advance 

It'll likely help but the 6.0 isnt 'known' for fuel efficiency.  

FWIW. the fleet trucks with the 6.0 have the 4.10 standard, but the 3.73 as an option.

The retail trucks only offer the 4.10 with the 6.0 but parts should be easy to get.

Duramax was 3.73  (until 2020 and the 10 speed)

How fast is the highway running?

Is it steady speed?

Relatively flat?

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Aug/0817_gmc_differential.html

How much of a difference does the choice of axle make? A 2013 Sierra 2500HD with a 6.0L V-8 and four-wheel drive can tow a maximum of 9,900 pounds with a 3.73:1 ratio or 14,400 pounds with a 4.10:1 ratio. Martuch estimates the fuel economy difference at highway speeds would be around 0.2-0.3 mpg between those two ratios, though reduced engine noise is also a benefit of maintaining lower engine speeds with the more-efficient ratio.”

13 minutes ago, ewbldavis said:

A friend has an older 2500 with the 3.73. He averages 15-16 MPG, so it would help.

I average 11-13 MPG. You have to ask yourself if the cost of swapping gears is worth only 2-3 MPG.

I posted a link above with comments from a GM engineer on this topic. I'm not disputing your personal experience or your friend's personal experience, but the GM engineer felt like the average user would only see about 10% of the improvement with the 3.73 gearset compared to what you suggest above.  

Edited by i82much

You won't gain enough MPG to justify the cost. Just keep your speeds under 70 mph, and you might notice an improvement. And, if you're loaded down, the 4.10 will probably return better mileage because it'll be able to hold 6th gear more often. 

If you drive over 100 miles every day....never tow....and  don't have the bed loaded down...why did you choose a 2500HD over a 1500?

7 hours ago, Big Whiskey said:

You won't gain enough MPG to justify the cost. Just keep your speeds under 70 mph, and you might notice an improvement. And, if you're loaded down, the 4.10 will probably return better mileage because it'll be able to hold 6th gear more often. 

If you drive over 100 miles every day....never tow....and  don't have the bed loaded down...why did you choose a 2500HD over a 1500?

maybe he needed the 8’ bed and extended cab?  do they make that in a 1500?

18 hours ago, Big Whiskey said:

That is my question... sounds like a 1500 would be better for him. 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:43 PM, deerhunter4u said:

Just baught brand new 2019 chevy 2500 ext. Cab 8' bed

Stock everything no lift no big tires 

6 speed

4.10 gear

I drive 100 miles plus every day 90% highway 10% city

I hardly tow.

Payload is a ladder rack with 500lbs or less. I avg 11mpg my question is should I switch to 3.73? Like I said I dont tow so what's the expected mpg on a stock 2500 6.0 with 3.73 thank you in advance 

Fuel information on 2500 series trucks is hard to come by as the EPA does not require it. Motor Trend however did some testing and found the gas 6.0 in your model to give, in their testing, 11 mpg city and 16 mpg highway. 

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/silverado-2500hd/2019/

You state your daily commute to be 100 miles. So trip distance is 50 miles. Statistically it takes about 85 miles to reach 90% of the setups capability under those conditions and fully warmed up. Your commute meets none of those markers. 11 mpg for your commute tells me that the trucks potential mileage is a good deal higher than the numbers you are getting. It's your situation, habits and likely your speed that is holding  your numbers down. I don't even know what your speed is on this drive but I'm guessing 55 mph isn't it. Which would be the EPS highway number base. Well there is nothing you can do about your distance but speed?

As far as the gear goes. That small of a change would help but the degree would be lost in the noise of the data. A larger change such as 4.10 to 3.23 could yield 10 percentage points increase. 1.1 mpg?  

I'll bet you get old girl on a long trip of interstate and set the cruise about 60 mph it she will surprise you.   :seeya:

Edited by Grumpy Bear