Steering wheel buttons

On 6/25/2020 at 10:13 PM, Stand By said:

Have you contacted White's or anybody to see if it could be programmed?

On 6/25/2020 at 8:51 AM, Zelas said:

I Have swapped out my Steering wheel with a Leather wheel which has the Buttons on the right. I also have swapped the Speedometer with a High Country one. It does not work . The Cruse control buttons work however, I have to reinstall my old speedometer because I am not able to toggle thru the menus. Its a bummer because it makes a huge difference in the interior.

I think you also have to swap the 7” monitor functions out for the 8” display model. That also carries all the information for this switch to happen. I have tried this but I’ve wanted too so bad.

• 3 months later...

After researching the addition of radio controls on the steering wheel, I've concluded it can't be done without a huge hassle and expense.  As an alternative, I swapped in the leather steering wheel and used the blank on the right side of the stock wheel that came on my 2020 Silverado Custom.  I have Katzkin leather seats so I wanted a leather wheel to match so at least I have a nice steering wheel instead of the cheezy plastic stock version that came on on the Custom trucks.  The cruise control buttons on the new wheel work fine.

New Leather Wheel.jpg

Edited by Mac-427
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Someone on YouTube added the steering wheel controls on a 2021 Silverado custom.  And harness dr has the line bus harness to add steering wheel controls. But I believe you have to upgrade the cluster as well and swap steering wheel.   

I was able to work with the Harness Dr on my 2021 Sierra 3500 base, to get this working. I added the programmed cluster from WAMS, a steering wheel with the menu controls on the right and audio controls on the back. We added 1 wire (now available on Harness Dr website), which required no splicing, pinned at the cluster and pinned at the clock spring harness and this gave my wheel full control. Well worth while upgrade. 

22 hours ago, Vradcliffe said:

I was able to work with the Harness Dr on my 2021 Sierra 3500 base, to get this working. I added the programmed cluster from WAMS, a steering wheel with the menu controls on the right and audio controls on the back. We added 1 wire (now available on Harness Dr website), which required no splicing, pinned at the cluster and pinned at the clock spring harness and this gave my wheel full control. Well worth while upgrade. 

Hey Vradcliffe, this is a  pretty big deal for lots of us on the Forum.  Any additional detail would be sincerely appreciated.

Hey Mac-427, I’ll try to add some detail so forgive the long post....

the first thing I would do is remover the upper steering column cover, to expose the clockspring harness (yellow connector). If you remove the harness, you can verify if there is any existing LIN bus connection (slot 9). If there is no connection, you should be able to run a wire directly from slot 9 at the clock spring along the existing harness to slot 20 at the cluster connector. I would really recommend going to the Harness Dr. website and purchasing the wire for $26. It will come with full instructions (many of the pics are from my upgrade, just saying that as verification it worked) and it is pinned perfectly to fit in the slots. 

Just as an FYI, I DID NOT replace the clock spring, as I’ve seen many people believe that may be necessary for this upgrade. 

This upgrade has had at least 2 additional successful attempts that I’m aware of, to this point. 

98E76793-54C1-4208-99E5-49B3DDA2C077.jpeg

8C916651-6C57-451F-B425-F0040B1E1665.jpeg

@Vradcliffe,

Thanks again for your involvement in this.  Your patience and dedication to see this to fruition is greatly appreciated.  

Foe those looking into this, the harness can be purchased here.

https://harnessdr.com/product/2019-2021-silverado-sierra-steering-wheel-lin-bus-harness/

A few things to note:

A new compatible cluster swap is needed.  The new cluster needs to be custom programmed by WAMS - 2019+ (T1) Denali / High Country Cluster Upgrade Kit - White Automotive & Media Services - @GTPprix is the only company I use for this type of work.  

Since a new cluster is needed, might as well upgrade to the nicer Denali or High Country Cluster.    

A few customers have also reported that they gained radio controls (IOR) radios and have restored backlight illumination on the left side. 

Keep in mind, that this is still a fairly new retrofit and release - so individual results may vary. 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 12:43 PM, Vradcliffe said:

Here are the before and after photos....

I apologize, the before photo is the dealer stock photo, I didn’t take one prior to the install...

81C031C8-AC37-4B88-BB97-EA52E84D4180.jpeg

F2C8BC50-0DBD-4AB4-9197-1F8A8E27F249.jpeg

That does make for a great look. Would happen to have the website where you ordered the parts?

Thanks!

I completed this and everything works except the heated wheel. Ordered a high country cluster from whites, wire from harness dr and a wheel from the dealer. Cost me about 1k to complete. Yes that's alot but its really nice..!! Since it's a custom the stereo bezel didn't match, I ordered the silver one to match.

20210617_181111.jpg

Edited by Flatblack83