Steering wheel buttons

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not new to Chevy trucks. I just traded in my 03 Avalanche for a 20 Trail Boss. I love the truck, but it didn't include whatever package that added steering wheel controls... It has cruise control on the wheel, and that's it. My question is; is it possible to add stock OEM control features to the steering wheel? the cruise is on the left and there's a blank on the right. What I'd like to add is controls for the stereo. I have the infotainment package, and it would be nice to control it conveniently. Why they didn't add this to the package, I'll never understand.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You should be able to use those arrows to navigate to the "Music" display centered on your dashboard if you go two to the right from the default display. You can select your favorites and change stations from there. It's not perfect, but it's something. 

17 hours ago, ElectriHolstein said:

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not new to Chevy trucks. I just traded in my 03 Avalanche for a 20 Trail Boss. I love the truck, but it didn't include whatever package that added steering wheel controls... It has cruise control on the wheel, and that's it. My question is; is it possible to add stock OEM control features to the steering wheel? the cruise is on the left and there's a blank on the right. What I'd like to add is controls for the stereo. I have the infotainment package, and it would be nice to control it conveniently. Why they didn't add this to the package, I'll never understand.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If it's a custom trail boss, there is no option to get stereo steering wheel controls.  I don't think there is a easy way to add it either, it would require a dealership visit to reprogram the BCM

yeah there is a few threads on this, I dont think anyone found a solution......basically the controls on right side of wheel control the cluster and phone.....custom has different cluster and uses an old school dial....back of steering wheel is for volume and changing radio presets

I too would love to add the buttons on the steering wheel for the audio system control.  I use Android Auto a lot with Waze for navigation.  But, if I'm listening to the radio, there's seemingly no way to change the station to a different station, other than to hit the home button, then audio on the screen.  Quite annoying.  I don't mind reaching for the volume on the dash, but being able to scroll to the next preset would be awesome.

I wish I had a schematic for the truck, but from earlier GM vehicles that I've worked with, the volume controls are all on the CAN bus.  It appears that the cruise control is also on the same bus.  From an initial search that I did, it looks like the steering wheel clock spring only changes if the steering wheel is heated, so the CAN bus should be there  in our wheel.

If I try, I'd probably just get these two parts:

The steering wheel switch (13531288) :  https://www.gmpartsgarage.com/oem-parts/gm-audio-switch-13531288

The different wire harness (84449305) https://www.gmpartsgarage.com/oem-parts/gm-harness-84449305

(I personally don't care about the switches on the back of the wheel.)

With any luck, the CAN IDs sent from those buttons would be understood from the audio system.

Otherwise, I doubt that there would be a way to make it work.  I believe that all of the trucks that have the steering wheel controls have a different sound system.  I have no idea if BCM programming could enable the switches to work without the other audio system, but I doubt it.  Hopefully our audio system will just understand the IDs being sent.

Who wants to be the guinea pig?  :)

Edited by Railroad_Jim
typos

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried this yet?  I have a 2020 2500HD WT that I want to do this too.  I have order the steering wheel harness, radio switch and control.  Will be here Monday, I assume it is doable.  I wanted remote start, so I ordered the kit from GM Parts Direct and the only thing that showed up was 2 fobs and an authorization code.  Says you just need locksmith to reprogram (Im scheduled so we'll see)

I Have swapped out my Steering wheel with a Leather wheel which has the Buttons on the right. I also have swapped the Speedometer with a High Country one. It does not work . The Cruse control buttons work however, I have to reinstall my old speedometer because I am not able to toggle thru the menus. Its a bummer because it makes a huge difference in the interior.

Edited by Zelas
Grammer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Zelas said:

I Have swapped out my Steering wheel with a Leather wheel which has the Buttons on the right. I also have swapped the Speedometer with a High Country one. It does not work . The Cruse control buttons work however, I have to reinstall my old speedometer because I am not able to toggle thru the menus. Its a bummer because it makes a huge difference in the interior.

Have you contacted White's or anybody to see if it could be programmed?

• Like 1

Yea. White did my speedometer program. He told me to email the harnessdr.com guy. He said he has no info yet. Only for older truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Zelas said:

Yea. White did my speedometer program. He told me to email the harnessdr.com guy. He said he has no info yet. Only for older truck.

Ok, thanks. Been contemplating a dash replacement on my custom. But not being able to scroll the menu is holding me back. 

14 hours ago, Zelas said:

Yea. I would hold off. It’s an expensive lesson.

Not that it would matter too much but did you also swap the steering wheel harness plug when you did the wheel swap? Why not just keep the high country cluster, not much you "need" in the menus for the cluster is there?

Not that it would matter too much but did you also swap the steering wheel harness plug when you did the wheel swap? Why not just keep the high country cluster, not much you "need" in the menus for the cluster is there?

It’s been in there for 2 months. Yes the harness was swapped. I think the clock spring might be different. If the cluster was not stuck on gas screen it would be great. Also can’t reprogram tire pressure sensors

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 11:33 AM, Jhoupe said:

Has anyone tried this yet?  I have a 2020 2500HD WT that I want to do this too.  I have order the steering wheel harness, radio switch and control.  Will be here Monday, I assume it is doable.  I wanted remote start, so I ordered the kit from GM Parts Direct and the only thing that showed up was 2 fobs and an authorization code.  Says you just need locksmith to reprogram (Im scheduled so we'll see)

Did these parts do the trick?