2020 Trailer TPMS Learn No Honk

Note that the manual says 10 seconds, rather than 10 psi if using the manual method. 
Pressure can be increased of decreased.

Manual Method:
Without the tool, the air pressure can be increased or decreased in each tire for 10 seconds. Do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure found on the tire sidewalls.
Make sure to re-adjust tire pressure to the recommended level when the process is complete.
Did the manual say it would honk?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Did the manual say it would honk?

That's the way I interpreted it. Horn chirps twice at start of process and once after each sensor is complete., 2 chirps when trailer is complete. 

You have 2 minutes for each sensor.

Trailer Tire Pressure
Monitoring Operation
If equipped, the Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TTPMS) is designed to monitor the pressure of the trailer tires and warn the driver when a low pressure condition exists. TTPMS sensors for four tires are provided. The system can accommodate a trailer with up to six tires if additional sensors are purchased from the dealer. Also, the system can be paired with up to five individual trailers 

Prior to use, the vehicle must learn the sensors by following the learning process. See Trailering App pg 308

The system is compatible with trailer tires that have placard pressure values from 103 - 689 kpa (15 - 100 psi). The hole in the wheel for the tire stem must be 11.43 mm (0.453 in) in diameter. Use of the pressure sensors on a wheel with a different stem hole size could result in loss of air from the tire. 

Trailering App 

Trailer Tire Pressure Setup
If the Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TTPMS) is detected, touch the Tire Pressure Monitoring icon to set up tire pressure monitoring. 

Touch Yes to set up the sensors or touch No to return to the previous screen.

A trailer must be electrically connected to the vehicle before starting the sensor-to-vehicle learn process.

After selecting Start from the Learn Sensors screen, use the Tool Method or the Manual Method (described below) to learn each tire sensor, during which the current tire number will be highlighted.

Each sensor has a minimum of two minutes to learn, shown by a timer

After a sensor is learned, a checkmark appears next to the tire, the vehicle horn will sound, the vehicle’s brake lamps will flash, and all working trailer lamps will flash.

It then moves to the next sensor.

To cancel the process touch Stop.
The recommended tire pressure must be entered for the trailer tires.
This allows the vehicle to alert when the tire pressure is high or low.

TTPMS must learn the location of the installed tire sensors to show correct air pressure and temperature for each tire.

To set up, use one of the following options or see a tire or trailer dealer for service. 

The learning process must be repeated when the trailer tires are rotated or replaced. See “Editing
a Trailer Profile” later in this section for tire pressure sensor relearn information.

Tool Method:

A TTPMS activation tool can be purchased separately to learn the sensor locations.

Manual Method:

Without the tool, the air pressure can be increased or decreased in each tire for 10 seconds.

Do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure found on the tire sidewalls. Make sure to re-adjust tire pressure to the recommended level when the process is complete.

Sensor Learning Steps

To complete the sensor-to-vehicle  learn process:

1. Touch Start on the Learn Sensors screen.

The horn chirps twice and the Learning Active screen appears on the infotainment display.

2. Start with the driver side front trailer tire.

3. Activate the tool near the valve stem or adjust the air pressure of this tire until the horn chirps and all working vehicle and trailer lights flash.
The process stops without saving the sensor locations if this step takes more than two minutes. 

4. Move to the next tire and repeat Step 3 for each sensor.
The horn chirps twice when all sensors are completed.

5. Return to the vehicle to complete the setup.

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Yeah something is definitely goofy with the 20s then because my horn didn't chirp and the lights didn't flash when it learned any of the 4 Tpms. I had to keep running back to the truck and looking at the screen.

Did you get the double chirp and the first timer at the start of the process? 

(Info was from a 2020 owners manual)

Edited by redwngr

Did you get the double chirp and the first timer at the start of the process? 

(Info was from a 2020 owners manual)
I know I didn't. None of the process that includes honking or flashing of lights worked for me. I re-read the instructions over and over and can't find where I went wrong.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

eah I have tried everything also. I get no honks at all when it starts and it doesn't learn the sensors either. I can let out air or add air for 20 seconds and it never moves off the first tire. I tried just letting out air for 10 seconds on each tire during the 2 minute learn time hoping that it would honk twice after the fourth tire or learn all 4 and I would see it on the screen. I'm at a loss. Don't know what else to do. I'm trying this on my 2020 3500.

EDIT!!!  

So I ended up finally, after three days of trying everything and ordering a relearn tool off of Amazon to get the trailer TPMS to sync to the truck. What I learned was that the truck does not honk ever, I had my Girlfriend sit in the truck to alert me. I Removed the trailer profile, and added it again. Took the trailer around the block and then started the TPMS learn again. I used the Relearn tool that I got on Amazon for 9.99. I Held the little Black antenna thing right on the sidewall where it met the rim, next to the valve stem. Took about 15 seconds to learn each tire. I could not get it to work by letting air out or putting air in. I hope this helps some people, I was at my wits end Trying to figure this out. 

Edited by Wigg006

I just installed and learned sensors for 2 dual axel trailers today. Found a work around to the horn not honking but I think the tool on amazon would be cheaper. I had my wife sit in the truck and honk the horn when it learned each tire. I know desperate times call for desperate measures. Just a disclaimer here— I did make her sit in the passenger seat while doing the setup!

9750215A-A6BB-4ACC-A8EA-C7396EC13AB6.jpeg

Edited by GregG10

I could not get mine to work at the camper store at all. Now that it is home i will need to try again to see and thanks for the info on the reset tool for the tire location, very helpful.

• 5 months later...

Same issue here with a 2020 2500HD - no horn at start of learning cycle or during when a TPMS sensor is recognized. Had to walk to cab each time to check the sensor was recognized.

I used the same learning tool from amazon as others have: linked: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BK693N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these tpms sensors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W55D84K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went through the learning process before I installed the TPMS sensors. I found they were super sensitive outside of the wheels and had to keep them well away from each other to stop the truck learning all four at once. But no issues and I didn't have to drive first to wake the sensors.

22 hours ago, jsykes said:

Same issue here with a 2020 2500HD - no horn at start of learning cycle or during when a TPMS sensor is recognized. Had to walk to cab each time to check the sensor was recognized.

I used the same learning tool from amazon as others have: linked: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BK693N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these tpms sensors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W55D84K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went through the learning process before I installed the TPMS sensors. I found they were super sensitive outside of the wheels and had to keep them well away from each other to stop the truck learning all four at once. But no issues and I didn't have to drive first to wake the sensors.

do those sensors show temperature also?