2015 CAI / K&N questions

So about a year and a half ago I installed a brand new CAI made by K&N on my 2015 Sierra 5.3 with approximately 23,000 miles on it.

Since then, I have to say, I haven’t been wow’d.

-Here in New England, it seems the colder air (below 30) seems to generate lower MPG’s.

-The constant intake sound (while cool sometimes) is louder than anticipated and I find myself using more effort to adjust throttle position to quiet it down.

-Throttle response and ‘power’ improvement is questionable.

**This K&N Intake has been extensively reviewed on here with generally positive results from members. Also the biggest reason I picked it up. I do like the smooth intake tube which I think is far superior to the stock set up. But I wonder if I could run the same tube and put the stock airbox back in with a better filter. Any insight on that before I start taking things apart?

Or the flipside, I could just sell the whole set up. I have the box and I just clean the filter. Anyone interested? (Located in Southern New Hampshire).

#QuarantineLife ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles always get less gas mileage in colder temps. The engine management system adds more fuel as required for the colder temperature. As far as CAI's go, they are mostly hype and for looks. On an average day the stock system puts colder air into the engine than a CAI does. You think about it, the stock system is taking cooler air from inside the fender opening. CAI's take air right from the engine compartment which is warmer air to begin with due to the engine heat in the compartment. I myself would use the stock housing with a K&N stock replacement style filter in it. That's what I did and definitely saw an improvement.  Not so much on power but in fuel mileage  definitely.

23 hours ago, WilliamBos said:

Sell it, use the funds to buy an Airaid MIT (Modular Intake Tube.).

I have this setup, AirAide tube with stock filter housing and a drop in K&N. Its louder with the K&N for sure but im not sure if there is any improvements tp power or MPG.

Like said above, stock system is true cold air, you may just want to drop in a K&N filter and be done.

• Thanks 1