2020 At4 Transmission problems

I know that GM and Ford developed the 10 speed trans for these trucks and I don't know the similarities between brands and models. We leased a brand new Explorer late last year. It has less than 5K on it and it has been at the dealership for 3 weeks as of yesterday with the transmission ripped out of it and they are waiting on parts to put it back together. The new Explorers are RWD platforms unlike the previous generation and I assume they use the same 10 speed as an F-150 which can't be too dissimilar to GM's version. Ours developed a violent downshift after being above 45 mph, like turning into our subdivision from a 4 lane highway. It would also have random funky up shifts as well. I haven't talked to the mechanic yet to find out what happened. The service advisor hasn't a clue. I hope you get yours sorted out.

Co-developed, yes. But the GM and Ford transmissions are each built in their own individual plants with entirely different programming and controls. What happens in a Ford Exploder means nothing for what happens in a GM pickup.

I am as shocked as anyone that GM got the 10 speed so right and Ford still has it so wrong, but it’s 100% true.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

I am as shocked as anyone that GM got the 10 speed so right .

I am totally in agreement with this statement. I had a 15 Sierra 6.2 8M, that had some warranty fixed transmission problems, which made it OK and still that way at 50k miles.

I traded it in on a 2020 Sierra 6.2 10M and am blown away with how great this transmission is so far. Nice smooth shifts up and down when cruising around town -but it has fast crisp shifts when you get out on the highway and get into it!

• Like 1

I know that GM and Ford developed the 10 speed trans for these trucks and I don't know the similarities between brands and models. We leased a brand new Explorer late last year. It has less than 5K on it and it has been at the dealership for 3 weeks as of yesterday with the transmission ripped out of it and they are waiting on parts to put it back together. The new Explorers are RWD platforms unlike the previous generation and I assume they use the same 10 speed as an F-150 which can't be too dissimilar to GM's version. Ours developed a violent downshift after being above 45 mph, like turning into our subdivision from a 4 lane highway. It would also have random funky up shifts as well. I haven't talked to the mechanic yet to find out what happened. The service advisor hasn't a clue. I hope you get yours sorted out.
This is my first 10 speed on a GM, I do have experience with the 10 speed on an F150 and it's a very good trans. Buddies are running 600hp Raptors with the 10 speed and 4x4 launches and not one issue.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AdamAT4 said:

This is my first 10 speed on a GM, I do have experience with the 10 speed on an F150 and it's a very good trans. Buddies are running 600hp Raptors with the 10 speed and 4x4 launches and not one issue.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

I've searched around and I can't find any problems with them either. Ours must have come down the line on a Friday at quitting time.

I have a 19 AT4 6.2 - 10 spd - 8,500 miles - not a single issue - in fact the tranny is one of the best overall things about this truck - it shifts smooth and has been absolutly seemless!

Hope they find a fix for you and you get back to enjoying your truck! 

• Like 1