What would you do in this situation?

Hey all,

So, long story short, the dealer has done some warranty work on my truck, damaged a lot of parts each time so I raised hell (in a calm and conducted way) to the dealership general manager and service team.

They are offering to get me into another truck of my choice with a pretty decent deal, but in my opinion they shouldn’t be making any money on the deal so it should be better.

Current truck: 2019 1500 Denali, 5.3 2wd 8-speed

New truck: 2020 1500 AT4 5.3 10-speed - only thing that it doesn’t have that I want is a sunroof but with Gm not currently producing trucks, would be hard to get exactly what I want.

They are taking $12k off of the AT4 and offering me $43k for my truck, I paid $45k in November and only has 1400 miles on it.

I think it’s a decent deal, but like I said they shouldn’t be making any money on it. Does anyone have any idea what I should push for? I think I should only be paying difference in MSRP, but I know the dealer would disagree with me.

Trying to be calm and realistic but also need them to make it right without much of a financial burden on my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be upset with this deal personally. It’s hard to know whether or not they are making money on a deal. The trade in seems about right and the money off seems about there too. I probably wouldn’t sweat it to get out of that truck which seems to be cursed. I also wouldn’t ever use that dealer again. 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t be upset with this deal personally. It’s hard to know whether or not they are making money on a deal. The trade in seems about right and the money off seems about there too. I probably wouldn’t sweat it to get out of that truck which seems to be cursed. I also wouldn’t ever use that dealer again. 

I pretty much feel the same way, especially not using this dealer to have service done again. That being said, this was all done via text with the sales manager. I plan on going by this weekend and if they’ll meet me half way with another $1,000 or $1,500 in person I’ll probably pull the trigger.

Id jump on it and ask for the 0% financing ... heck yes.

Doubt they’ll do that since it’s a GM based deal and not through the dealer but you never know. I’ll ask for sure!

Let's see?????....you are offered a one year newer truck which equates to about $4K in KBB value for the price of a sunroof and none of your current problems..

I'd say Thank You, buy them a box of cookies and in the future take it somewhere else for service.......or you could just keep your messed up one for free.

Real difficult decision.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotrodz37 said:

Doubt they’ll do that since it’s a GM based deal and not through the dealer but you never know. I’ll ask for sure!

Is your current truck going to be a buy back?

Is your current truck going to be a buy back?

No, they are going to purchase it and just send it to auction. GMC is involved but I know it takes a long time to get the buy back going and I’m not sure if gm would even do that since it’s mostly the dealers fault for the damages.

Just now, hotrodz37 said:

No, they are going to purchase it and just send it to auction. GMC is involved but I know it takes a long time to get the buy back going and I’m not sure if gm would even do that since it’s mostly the dealers fault for the damages.

Have they used the verbiage "trade allowance"?

If GM is taking possession of the truck, then the deal should be pretty solid on the trade.

Where is the 20 at right now, they should be giving you the option of a truck of your choice, your dealer can locate one from another lot if there is one to your liking. 

6 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

No, they are going to purchase it and just send it to auction.

That is what happens to the trucks when they are bought back by GM.

If the dealer wants it for their stock, they have to find what auction house it was sent to and buy it outright.

Edited by JimCost2014

Have they used the verbiage "trade allowance"?

If GM is taking possession of the truck, then the deal should be pretty solid on the trade.

Where is the 20 at right now, they should be giving you the option of a truck of your choice, your dealer can locate one from another lot if there is one to your liking. 

No trade allowance has been spoken of, just the dealer trying to make things right on their own. They said they might be able to get me another truck from another dealer but without gm involved they are having a hard time getting a dealer trade with no new inventory coming in. This truck is exactly what I want, just missing the sunroof which I can live with.

I went through a buy back in 2013 so am familiar with the process. While it’s great and it recovers a bit of money, it’s a heck of a process and if I can get close to where I want to be without GM involved it’ll go a lot quicker and smoother.

2 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

No trade allowance has been spoken of, just the dealer trying to make things right on their own. They said they might be able to get me another truck from another dealer but without gm involved they are having a hard time getting a dealer trade with no new inventory coming in. This truck is exactly what I want, just missing the sunroof which I can live with.

You live once, if it makes you happy, pull the trigger.

It is always a good feeling driving a truck that you like and trust, rather than waiting for the next problem.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

I went through a buy back in 2013 so am familiar with the process. While it’s great and it recovers a bit of money, it’s a heck of a process and if I can get close to where I want to be without GM involved it’ll go a lot quicker and smoother.

Have gone through both trade allowance and buy back, you are very correct, neither really fun stuff.

Cool Nova by the way, (my apologies if it is a Falcon) hard to tell in the avatar.