Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

The main point I was making was the creep of prices.  For only $20 more per wheel, I can...  well if I'm going to pay that much, then.... what the heck, you can't take it with you.... etc.  25 years ago I simplified my tire buying decisions by only buying Michelins from Costco.  At the time, I had little free time to be shopping for such things but needed, safe, reliable and comfortable transportation.   I actually have trouble justifying my deviation from this pattern.  My real motivation is to make a non-permanent yet noticeable change to my truck.  Last week I received an anniversary card from my dealership acknowledging six years since my truck purchase.   Twenty five years ago I would have experienced 2 or 3 trucks in a six year period!  New tires and possibly wheels is a comparatively inexpensive way to add the fun factor to my daily driver!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Donstar said:

The main point I was making was the creep of prices.  For only $20 more per wheel, I can...  well if I'm going to pay that much, then.... what the heck, you can't take it with you.... etc.  25 years ago I simplified my tire buying decisions by only buying Michelins from Costco.  At the time, I had little free time to be shopping for such things but needed, safe, reliable and comfortable transportation.   I actually have trouble justifying my deviation from this pattern.  My real motivation is to make a non-permanent yet noticeable change to my truck.  Last week I received an anniversary card from my dealership acknowledging six years since my truck purchase.   Twenty five years ago I would have experienced 2 or 3 trucks in a six year period!  New tires and possibly wheels is a comparatively inexpensive way to add the fun factor to my daily driver!

Wheels are cheaper than a new truck! I actually became as cheap as my wife. Like you now retired money worries are in the past. The only thing I really spend money on ( besides vacations) tools and devices that make yard work easier. It’s cheaper than a yard service. I’m a believer in enjoying the golden years at a reasonable cost. 

• Like 2

Many experienced a taste of retired type living during covid.   It is a nice time of life if you have been able to properly prepare.  I retired earlier than planned but we are living comfortably.  Of course, my definition of "comfortable" has tamed down considerably!  I had a bit of a heated discussion with one of my 40+ year old children last week about spending and income.  Like our trucks, going from 40 to 60 happens quickly! 😉  I appreciate how distant retirement may seem or we can joke that we'll work until we die but life doesn't always work out  as planned.   Covid19 showed many how our lives can be unintentionally interrupted.  In my early 40's my wants were usually met and my toys were many. My next paycheck was eagerly anticipated and necessary.   At that time our parents/aunts/uncles were hitting retirement age and I (we) quickly  learned  we'd better change our love of toys into a love of saving!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Many experienced a taste of retired type living during covid.   It is a nice time of life if you have been able to properly prepare.  I retired earlier than planned but we are living comfortably.  Of course, my definition of "comfortable" has tamed down considerably!  I had a bit of a heated discussion with one of my 40+ year old children last week about spending and income.  Like our trucks, going from 40 to 60 happens quickly! 😉  I appreciate how distant retirement may seem or we can joke that we'll work until we die but life doesn't always work out  as planned.   Covid19 showed many how our lives can be unintentionally interrupted.  In my early 40's my wants were usually met and my toys were many. My next paycheck was eagerly anticipated and necessary.   At that time our parents/aunts/uncles were hitting retirement age and I (we) quickly  learned  we'd better change our love of toys into a love of saving!

At one time I had 4 collector cars. They were converted to building a rent house. Between our SS and income from the rent house. We don’t have to hit our savings. My old truck is my collector car. It’s amazing how your priorities change when you are able to leave work. I loved my work. Retirement is better. 

When it comes to shopping, having too much time often interferes with making a purchase.  My Oct. 1st deadline for new tires has come and gone without me pulling out my bank card.  I have no immediate travel plans so no external pressure.  We are prepared for the expense,  however, I need to be practical.  I decided on tire type weeks ago  but was hung up on refurbishing my factory alloy wheels versus buying aftermarket wheels.  A tire dealer recently introduced me to a new wheel coming from American Racing that will be available shortly.  The "honeycomb" similarity, "winter use" designation and cost are appealing.  The cost of new over refurbish is not significant so I will likely go new once I see this product in 3D.     My hang-up is that my tire and wheel choice are available in 17, 18 and 20.  I have participated in this forum for years and know the debates.  My wife is more interested in me making up my mind and shutting up about tires than the cost differences.  I can't blame anyone but myself for my choice nor does anyone else care!  Sometimes the responsibilities of adulthood suck! 😉 

36 minutes ago, Donstar said:

When it comes to shopping, having too much time often interferes with making a purchase.  My Oct. 1st deadline for new tires has come and gone without me pulling out my bank card.  I have no immediate travel plans so no external pressure.  We are prepared for the expense,  however, I need to be practical.  I decided on tire type weeks ago  but was hung up on refurbishing my factory alloy wheels versus buying aftermarket wheels.  A tire dealer recently introduced me to a new wheel coming from American Racing that will be available shortly.  The "honeycomb" similarity, "winter use" designation and cost are appealing.  The cost of new over refurbish is not significant so I will likely go new once I see this product in 3D.     My hang-up is that my tire and wheel choice are available in 17, 18 and 20.  I have participated in this forum for years and know the debates.  My wife is more interested in me making up my mind and shutting up about tires than the cost differences.  I can't blame anyone but myself for my choice nor does anyone else care!  Sometimes the responsibilities of adulthood suck! 😉 

Ride comfort gets my vote. 

• Like 1

We had overnight guests from out of town this weekend.  They were of the niece/nephew category  which means 40+ years old when you're my age!    We exchanged covid related stories.  I know they suffered and lost a great deal during the layoffs and lockdowns but you wouldn't know this unless you had outside information!   They only spoke of what they gained through the experience which I found absolutely inspiring.  They talked a lot about how the experience improved their relationship and future goals.  I was particularly interested in their thoughts on retirement.  They realize that you need to have both your relationships and finances in order to retire comfortably.  My wife and I have decades of marriage on this couple but watching them made us appreciate and respect each other a little more!

On 10/10/2021 at 10:02 AM, Donstar said:

We had overnight guests from out of town this weekend.  They were of the niece/nephew category  which means 40+ years old when you're my age!    We exchanged covid related stories.  I know they suffered and lost a great deal during the layoffs and lockdowns but you wouldn't know this unless you had outside information!   They only spoke of what they gained through the experience which I found absolutely inspiring.  They talked a lot about how the experience improved their relationship and future goals.  I was particularly interested in their thoughts on retirement.  They realize that you need to have both your relationships and finances in order to retire comfortably.  My wife and I have decades of marriage on this couple but watching them made us appreciate and respect each other a little more!

Amen! Double on relationship. Wife has been working from home since Covid-19 took off in the USA. Not exactly the same thing but pretty close. First few months were difficult but....your social skills will improve IF you want them to. You sort of learn to 'disarm' each other when it looks like it's headed south. Don't loose your sense of humor and don't talk to me until I make my second cup! 😉 (She's still working on that one) :uhoh:

• Like 1

Supply and labor shortages are evident in many areas as a side effect of covid.   Fortunately, I have the time and money to explore other options.   Yesterday,  I decided to try my neighbourhood quick oil change facility as they looked like they could use some support and I had a $10 off coupon!   A man in training did my service but he was well supervised.   It was revealed that my transmission fluid was dark for my low mileage and I had that replaced as well.   This dark fluid was likely a residual expense from my towing days!   I must admit I was initially apprehensive about providing a training vehicle but believe I owe it as payback for my career training experiences.   At least in a venue like this you can observe the workers.  When you drop your vehicle off at a dealer, you seldom see who performed the service!  

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Supply and labor shortages are evident in many areas as a side effect of covid.   Fortunately, I have the time and money to explore other options.   Yesterday,  I decided to try my neighbourhood quick oil change facility as they looked like they could use some support and I had a $10 off coupon!   A man in training did my service but he was well supervised.   It was revealed that my transmission fluid was dark for my low mileage and I had that replaced as well.   This dark fluid was likely a residual expense from my towing days!   I must admit I was initially apprehensive about providing a training vehicle but believe I owe it as payback for my career training experiences.   At least in a venue like this you can observe the workers.  When you drop your vehicle off at a dealer, you seldom see who performed the service!  

My Genesis, Honda, and Chevy dealers  have windows for observation. I’m sitting on a coupon from my Chevy dealer for a full synthetic oil change and tire rotation for 30$. My second one. The shortage boils down to a trucker driver shortage and labor shortage. A side effect of of enhanced unemployment being extended. As well as covid mandates. Being vaccinated early on I thought about driving a truck for awhile. Going on 7 years retired I’m just too spoiled now. I’d just spend the money on something foolish like a hellcat. 

Yesterday a doctor told our friend that she will not likely be with us for Christmas.  This is not a surprise to us close to her.  We have behaved accordingly for a few months. This clearly stated prognosis has shocked her family more than it should and is causing logistical struggles for them to come and visit.  When my father was told he could live with his slow progressing cancer for a few years this was enough information  for me to put my ducks in a row so that I could be with him for every appointment and upset.  His few years were only a few months but we were able to share all of our fears and emotions prior to his passing.     I wanted to make these comments because if you're delaying a visit or spending time with a loved one in declining health, you may want to review your priorities.  

• Like 2

I'm dealing with a family who has very little spare time to care for their dying mom(in-law).  These two have busy lives but really have mixed up priorities, imo. They haven't managed to arrange for POA but I'm told it is on their list of things to do.   I suspect they are also uncomfortable with the level of physical and emotional support required by someone in their mother's stage of life.    If you have time for hobbies or recreation,  forgo   your next activity and make sure every adult in your immediate family has a will and a designated power of attorney.  Life insurance is also on this list.   Take time to prepare for an event that will happen to everyone.  We don't all know how or when we'll die but being prepared will make this event  easier on those we love and who love us!  

On 9/26/2021 at 7:29 AM, KARNUT said:

Wheels are cheaper than a new truck! 

My son pulled my words to him from his youth and they were similar to yours.   I also recognize that maintaining a vehicle is cheaper than buying new.  However, I am experiencing some significant maintenance costs with my six year old truck.  I am not totally dependent on my truck on a daily basis so I can afford the commensurate down time.  October will end with me totaling $2100 in truck maintenance during the month.   The sad part about these costs is no one but me will notice!  This does not include new wheels but I am getting my factory wheels re-painted.   My tires are a new replacement set of Michelin Defenders but 265 vs 255 width.  The larger size is $30 per tire cheaper.  Now I'm faced with the same dilemma I struggled with the last time I got new tires c/w alignment.  Do I pay the extra and have my 1.5" level kit installed?  My hope would be for a subtle enhancement to the truck without making entry/exit problematic.  My intention with the spacers was to enhance the look without looking modified.  Opinions? Experiences?