Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

I remember as a child recommending my dad buy his next car from a lot near our home.  I was attracted by its huge, bright sign that dominated the commercial area.  (A sign like that one would not be permitted now.)  My dad's response to my suggestion has stuck with me for life.  He said, "I'm not paying for their sign!"   When I buy a vehicle or mattress,  I can't help but look at the real estate and salaries that rely on my contribution.  I bought a mattress that was 50% of MSRP and 75% of the stores post sale price.  The store has to profit and so does the manufacturer and wholesaler.   Some features and options are added to attract buyers and increase profit but do little to improve the base product. You can pay a retail price of $1K for a $2K mattress found elsewhere.  I did.  The name tags or cover patter may look different but won't be noticed when sheets are on.  I understand and support how the retail system works but also know that spending the time doing your research can save you money while still supporting local business.  

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 2

GET AN AIR BED. LASTS A LONG TIME. OURS IS APROACHING 20 YEARS.

I WILL NEVER BUY A MATTRESS AGAIN. OUR LAST MATRESS SET COST $1500 AND AFTER 12 YEARS YOU COULD SEE WHERE WE LAID. WARRANTY GAVE US $250 I THINK. 

OUR AIR BED NEVER HAS A DEPRESSION WHERE YOU LAY. YOU CAN ADJUST THE FIRMNESS. 

• Like 2

Thanks for not including pictures and congratulations for being proactive in protecting your health.  It is good for all of us to be proactive on all medical stuff.  My mother-in-law and, most recently, a close friend were told to get their affairs in order from diagnoses that were made too late.  Covid initially found me stepping up the maintenance of my house, truck and motorcycle but I soon realized that these things will be useless if I'm decommissioned.  Reams of material on this forum speak to the longevity of our vehicles as a result of proper maintenance.  A lot of the same rational applies to our bodies.  I make an appointment any time an unusual pain persists and/or worsens.  I also have a complete exam with bloodwork every year.  We will all be out of service someday but our chances of delaying this event increase dramatically with early detection.  My physical last August revealed a PSA score that was off the charts.  The impact of this result was exasperated by the fact that my Dad died from prostate cancer.  My concern was greatly reduced knowing that if there is a problem, I've caught it early.  Luckily this high score was most likely an anomaly but now need to be tested every three months.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My brain age is way behind the body. 

Sometimes walking by a mirror unexpectedly can be startling!    If I knew fifty years ago that the brain ages much differently than the body, I would have spent much more time with senior family members.  A lot of the reason I retired was due to this inequity between brain and body age.  When I found colleagues opening doors for me and offering me a lift out of my chair, I realized that I'm seen differently.  I was garnering respectful acknowledgement  due to my age and it was getting harder to discern if my ideas were receiving the same level of scrutiny as the others! 🙂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Sometimes walking by a mirror unexpectedly can be startling!    If I knew fifty years ago that the brain ages much differently than the body, I would have spent much more time with senior family members.  A lot of the reason I retired was due to this inequity between brain and body age.  When I found colleagues opening doors for me and offering me a lift out of my chair, I realized that I'm seen differently.  I was garnering respectful acknowledgement  due to my age and it was getting harder to discern if my ideas were receiving the same level of scrutiny as the others! 🙂 

In the family business I became too conservative. The younger generation wanted to expand and add more risk taking. I was happy being debt free. I retired at 58. Now instead of a 10,000 square ft shop there’s a 40,000 on 30 acres instead of 5. And a bank note. The rent from the old place will cover the nut. I wasn’t wrong, I had a life of risk taking. It’s exciting watching the younger generation grow the business, especially not having the worry. I glad I was able to recognize that.

15 hours ago, jscottl said:

Covid spare time? What's that? Nothing has changed in my world. Work. Sleep. Repeat.

This thread is for the retirees 😉

On 12/4/2021 at 7:47 AM, diyer2 said:

GET AN AIR BED. LASTS A LONG TIME. OURS IS APROACHING 20 YEARS.

I WILL NEVER BUY A MATTRESS AGAIN. OUR LAST MATRESS SET COST $1500 AND AFTER 12 YEARS YOU COULD SEE WHERE WE LAID. WARRANTY GAVE US $250 I THINK. 

OUR AIR BED NEVER HAS A DEPRESSION WHERE YOU LAY. YOU CAN ADJUST THE FIRMNESS. 

So basically water beds will never go out of style :)

• Like 1

Spare time from Covid did not happen for everyone.  Many people, notably health care workers, saw/see a significant reduction in their personal time.   Retired people like me arguably didn't increase their spare time but have needed to make significant changes.   Typically, December was a time we'd be preparing for Christmas travel or hosting guests from other countries.  Neither happened last December and won't happen this December.    I will keep busy and it will be a good Christmas.  This afternoon, for example, we've arranged to visit a lonely shut-in at a local seniors complex.  Our recently deceased friend use to keep this person company and we know she's lonely.   This sounds like, "Motherhood and apple pie" stuff or smarmy but visit a seniors' care facility for a fulfilling and happy Christmas experience.   Karnut mentioned brain age.  Imagine being confined to a body that doesn't allow you to leave your residence and having outlived all of your family and friends.  Add difficulty with speech and hearing to the mix and you end up with a common resident found in a senior's care home.   Volunteer to visit with such a person and develop a friendship.   Talk to him or her like you would a friend and you will be rewarded in ways that are immeasurable.   My wife uses the word karma when talking about volunteering at a care facility.  We know we can't expect dignity and respect when it is our time if we don't give the same when we are able.

53 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

This thread is for the retirees 😉

It sometimes appears like this but Covid found people of all ages spending a lot more time at home these past 18 months.  I retired from 35+ years with the school system and found myself providing support to students and their parents forced to learn at home. Another sign of people having found extra time  was a huge demand for pets during the early stages of the pandemic.   Now that many are returning to the workplace, they're filling animal shelters with unwanted pets!  

• Like 1

Just my thoughts, most of the guys in here are retired though. I worked all through Covid and went to school full time. I did remote learning though for school which just meant after work do some homework and go to bed. Was working night shift at that time.

• Like 1

I’m bewildered that some areas are still locked down. I live in Texas and travel a few times a year to Fayetteville NC to visit my father in law. With the exception of the massive help wanted signs it’s normal. It easy to check the Covid dashboards to see how different areas are fairing. I’m all for people being comfortable and living according to that. We had our normal gatherings this year and didn’t even get a cold. Unusual , some bug always shows up. About half of my family got the Covid. Two hospitalized one for a week. My oldest daughter has lupus it affected her brain. She’s recovering, will be fine. Her two daughters got a mild case but her husband didn’t get it. My son and 2 out of 5 in his group got a mild case. It seems now every time it comes around it’s less severe. Therapeutics are getting better. Probably what save my daughter. It’s time to put it in the rear view. Otherwise all of New York is going to move to Florida. All of California is moving to Texas. This living in fear thing needs to stop. Cautious okay. Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1