Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

2 hours ago, customboss said:

Natural selection is nailing science deniers en mass.

Story on the 6 O' Clock news the other night. Guy is drawing his last breath on a vent and screaming COVID isn't real. 

And yes, he did die. 

You've read my signature...right?

:crackup:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, customboss said:

A virus doesn't care what any president thinks.....but its looking for a live host to reside in.  Because virus is not alive, its dependent to survive and thrive on a live host right?  

I read about a bad as$ pill coming that’s pretty good with keeping the effects at bay. 👍

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I read about a bad as$ pill coming that’s pretty good with keeping the effects at bay. 👍

Too late. Vaccination and death only things that  stop the spread. 

https://people.com/health/minnesota-doctors-beg-people-to-get-vaccinated-in-full-page-ad-were-overwhelmed/

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, customboss said:

Too late. Vaccination and death only things that  stop the spread. 

https://people.com/health/minnesota-doctors-beg-people-to-get-vaccinated-in-full-page-ad-were-overwhelmed/

It’s a works with or without the shot. It lessons the effects of the virus. It’s made by Pfizer

Edited by KARNUT

Why dismiss a therapeutic when nothing is stopping the spread? Seems like it would be good news. But I guess people just can’t be happy unless they are laughing at an unvaccinated person dying.

Funny how the people who think they are the smartest and most moral are actually the most rotten and close-minded.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Seriously? All he is saying is you have much MUCH MUCH better odds. 

Don't be like that...Please

No, for months he's been saying get vaxxed or die, watch the whole thing.  This is just one example.

These vaccinations are in reality experimental gene therapies for a virus with a 99% survival rate for most folks.  The national response is political and ignores genuine science and horse sense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

No, for months he's been saying get vaxxed or die, watch the whole thing.  This is just one example.

These vaccinations are in reality experimental gene therapies for a virus with a 99% survival rate for most folks.  The national response is political and ignores genuine science and horse sense.

Ignoring? Like ignoring 810,000 dead in the USA. More than to total dead from Americans greatest previous loss and in less than half the time? The Civil War? That kind of ignoring? At what point does it become REAL? Spanish Flu in the USA took only about 660,000. That was fake too? 

WOW. Okay....I'm done here. Ignore? Yea, I can do that. 

• Thanks 1

Focus on data then stop focusing on SELF.  We are a nation and part of our liberty is to protect our fellow citizen.  That seems to get lost with many. 

Vaccination, masks, testing  is not for self its for others. The virus would not be replicating and changing so fast if the world would get vaxxed.  Since thats not taking place our politicians cannot make you feel good about the reality.  Here's the reality, focusing on self will kill others.  

David Leonhardt  NYT

The age gap

By now, you’ve probably heard someone say it, or maybe you’ve said it yourself: We’re all getting Covid.

“Yes, you’ll get the virus,” Dr. James Hamblin wrote in his newsletter. “I think we all have a date with Covid at some point,” Helen Branswell, a health reporter at Stat News, said. “People are starting to give up,” my colleague Tara Parker-Pope told me.

It’s an understandable feeling given Omicron’s intense contagiousness, even among the vaccinated. A surge that began in the Northeast is now spreading to the Midwest, South and beyond:

oakImage-1640217215554-articleLarge-v2.png
Chart shows seven-day averages. | Source: The New York Times

Some of the country’s new Covid acceptance — or fatalism — stems from frustration with the costs of pandemic precautions: the loss of learning from closed schools; the isolation from social distancing; the nationwide rise in blood pressure, drug overdoses, mental health problems and more.

And some of the new attitude stems from the reality that contracting Covid will not be a big deal for most people. Hospitalization rates for children and for vaccinated people under 50 years old remain minuscule.

But I do want to raise one major point of caution. Covid in recent months has continued to present a meaningful amount of risk to older people, despite vaccination. It’s too soon to know whether Omicron will change the situation, but the safest assumption — absent more data — is that Covid will remain dangerous for the elderly.

“There is good reason for older adults to continue to try to avoid becoming infected, because the risk for hospitalization in that age group is still significant,” Dr. Shelli Farhadian of Yale University told me.

Today’s newsletter will walk through the data and then consider its implications.

The risks

A team of British researchers, led by Dr. Julia Hippisley-Cox at the University of Oxford, has conducted some of the most detailed research on Covid risks for different groups of people. The BMJ, a peer-reviewed journal, published the work, and it is available in an online calculator. The research was done before Omicron emerged and covers only residents of Britain, but it is still instructive.

Here are estimated post-infection death rates for several hypothetical people, all vaccinated.

oakImage-1640217329503-articleLarge-v3.png
Unless noted, people are of average U.S. height and weight and lack major medical problems. | Source: QCovid

The risks here for older people are frightening: A rate of 0.45 percent, for instance, translates into roughly a 1 in 220 chance of death for a vaccinated 75-year-old woman who contracts Covid. If the risks remain near these levels with Omicron, they could lead to tens of thousands of U.S. deaths, and many more hospitalizations.

Encouragingly, there are reasons to believe that Omicron’s death rate may be lower. Three new studies released yesterday suggested that Omicron causes milder illness on average than earlier versions of the virus. “I would guess that the mortality risk with Omicron is much smaller” than with earlier variants, Dr. George Rutherford of the University of California, San Francisco, told me yesterday.

One reassuring comparison is to a normal seasonal flu. The average death rate among Americans over age 65 who contract the flu has ranged between 1 in 75 and 1 in 160 in recent years, according to the C.D.C. Pre-Omicron versions of Covid, in other words, seem to present risks of a similar order of magnitude to vaccinated people as a typical flu. Some years, a flu infection may be more dangerous.

With Omicron, “I think the risk is not super high for relatively healthy and boosted people in their 70s,” Janet Baseman, an epidemiologist at the University of Washington, told me. “I think it’s moderate at most.”

Still, Baseman and other experts recommend vigilance, for several reasons. First, the flu kills tens of thousands of Americans a year, and we should probably pay more attention to it. (After declining last year during social distancing, flu infections are rising again now, as these Times charts show.)

Second, Omicron is so contagious that it has the potential to swamp hospitals and cause many otherwise preventable deaths even if only a small share of infections are severe. “We’re not at a place to treat this as a cold,” Azra Ghani of Imperial College London said.

Baseman said that if she were in her 70s, her primary worry would be getting moderately ill, needing standard medical care and not being able to get it at an overwhelmed hospital. Dr. Aaron Richterman of the University of Pennsylvania told me, “There is a strong rationale for reasonable efforts to mitigate transmission, particularly over the next four weeks.”

Remember that these efforts do not need to last forever. In South Africa, the number of new Covid cases is already falling, suggesting that the initial Omicron surge may be sharper and shorter than previous surges. Again, though, nobody knows what the next few weeks will bring.

In the meantime, it makes sense for many people — not just those over 65 — to think about which risky activities are easy to cut out. It also makes sense to wear N95 or KN95 masks, which are more effective than most. Above all, scientists say, get boosted now if you are eligible.

There are also some steps that individuals cannot take but that society could: Requiring people to be vaccinated to enter restaurants (as New York City has and Washington, D.C., soon will) and fly on airplanes; expanding access to walk-in vaccine clinics, rapid tests and post-infection treatments (as the Biden administration has begun doing); and improving ventilation in public indoor spaces.

I have focused on vaccinated people today’s, because they are already trying to protect themselves and their communities. Here is a different version of the chart above, this time adding the death risk for an unvaccinated, otherwise healthy 75-year-old woman who contracts Covid:

oakImage-1640218514961-articleLarge-v2.png
Unless noted, people are vaccinated, mostly healthy and of average U.S. height and weight. | Source: QCovid

If you are not vaccinated, you’re in a completely different category of danger.

15 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Why dismiss a therapeutic when nothing is stopping the spread? Seems like it would be good news. But I guess people just can’t be happy unless they are laughing at an unvaccinated person dying.

Funny how the people who think they are the smartest and most moral are actually the most rotten and close-minded.

Because a theraputic is great for YOU maybe.  But the virus has spread by then and if you had vaxxed early on you might not spread the virus and enable it to reboot into something different that our leadership no matter how much sunshine they like to blow can get it right.  Virus don't care about what you and I think. Or what we believe. They must live off live hosts. Theraputic is great to save one life. But we have lost more people than any advanced nation, why?  Because we have become a nation of selfish entitled aholes.  

How many here posting have ever served anything in US but self?  How many posting here are veterans? How many have fought and been injured or permanently disabled?  

We all have a great country because in the past the majority cared more about the constitution and the other than ourselves. 

5 minutes ago, customboss said:

Because a theraputic is great for YOU maybe.  But the virus has spread by then and if you had vaxxed early on you might not spread the virus and enable it to reboot into something different that our leadership no matter how much sunshine they like to blow can get it right.  Virus don't care about what you and I think. Or what we believe. They must live off live hosts. Theraputic is great to save one life. But we have lost more people than any advanced nation, why?  Because we have become a nation of selfish entitled aholes.  

How many here posting have ever served anything in US but self?  How many posting here are veterans? How many have fought and been injured or permanently disabled?  

We all have a great country because in the past the majority cared more about the constitution and the other than ourselves. 

I really am going to have this be my last response  here on this for now. I don’t  want this to be shut down. The latest information I’m reading is people with the shot are getting Covid. It’s pretty much a therapeutic at best. I’ve had the shot. Merk has come out with a pill too. So there’s choices. If you look at all stats from all 50 states there’re averaging about the same for infection and deaths. So hard lock downs versus reasonable precautions have the same results. The bug wins, they usually do. It’s getting milder overall as they do. People really need to get a grip. People generally are getting tired of the fear mongering. They get it. Let’s put down the hammer and deal with it.

• Like 1

I also read that we can't booster our way out of this. I guess that means we need to get it and our bodies have to fend it off. As long as we can survive getting it. I have had three shots of Pfizer. That is it for me. If I get it I should be able to beat it back now. But I see Israel is now doing a forth booster.   

Edited by Likarok
  • Like 1