Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Argh....    Another fresh snowfall!  It is very picturesque outside but shoveling and snowblowing really plays havoc on the body!  I know that the days will start getting longer and in a short time, I'll be dusting off the motorcycle.  My bucket list has me keeping my eyes open for a new Road King but I am seriously wondering if a Freewheeler or older Tri-Glide (cost) may be a better option?  If I'm not moving snow, I'm spending my spare time YouTubing people who have made the transition from 2 - 3 wheels.  Any such experience or thoughts?

It's interesting how the internet can distort your thoughts on a given topic.  My Google search for opinions on switching to a trike would lead me to believe the move is very common.  However I don't know anyone who has ridden or even considered buying a trike!  My upper body wants to continue enjoying the experience but the lower is protesting.  This visible conflict worries others who care which is my biggest concern.  If I appear to make an effort to compensate, pressure to retire the helmet will subside! 😉  

My neighbor 'tricycled' his Goldwing a few years ago. He and his wife like it. Only people I know that have done the conversion. Another fellow has a sidecar on his Goose and the guy can fly that thing. And another a sidecar on a Enfield that my wife rode in and loved it. They are both a much different 'driving' experience from two wheels. There is also the 'training wheels" conversions a guy can do in his garage I've know a few people to do. Sportsters mostly. Girls mainly. 

I've never ridden any of these but I've been riding since I was about eight and that is the sum total of people I know doing it. I 'feel' I would have leaned toward the sidecar. I quit riding about three years ago although I still have most of my bikes. About 60 years total on bikes. 

Dad continued until he was about 80 on two wheels and gave it up more to idiot drivers he has to share the road with than 'strength' issues or balance. Although I'm sure it played into it. For me it became a daily thing for drivers on their phones or watching the "infotainment' center to cross the line moving me from my position. I'm not much of a match for 6K pounds of Suburban vs my Electra and wife. 

• Thanks 1

A good friend who worked for us off on over 30 years was killed driving a trike. He recently had changed from riding HD to the trike. Most of the people we know who ride do it on weekends in packs for safety. He was by himself someone pulled out in front of him. They don’t maneuver very well like bikes. There’s nothing in front to take a hit. He was probably really excited about his new purchase instead of waiting for the weekend to learn the new riding skills. Protected by the pack. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The safety risks of riding a two or three wheeled vehicle on public roads are huge.   Quitting is by far the safest option.  When I look forward to riding in the spring, I picture scenic low speed cruises along waterfront drives.   I know the glamorous side of cruising on a Harley is a small part of the experience however it is a powerful motivator to not let go.    Covid has significantly dashed our travel related activities and created a whole bunch of dreams to replace!   Last riding season many riding opportunities were lost due to a lack of willingness from my lower extremities.  I have the time to learn from others who have faced a similar stage.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Donstar said:

The safety risks of riding a two or three wheeled vehicle on public roads are huge.   Quitting is by far the safest option.  When I look forward to riding in the spring, I picture scenic low speed cruises along waterfront drives.   I know the glamorous side of cruising on a Harley is a small part of the experience however it is a powerful motivator to not let go.    Covid has significantly dashed our travel related activities and created a whole bunch of dreams to replace!   Last riding season many riding opportunities were lost due to a lack of willingness from my lower extremities.  I have the time to learn from others who have faced a similar stage.

The Royal Enfield Bullet by leaps and bounds is THE bike for meandering along a river road or backwoods winder. Although a BSA Goldstar or Norton Manx....anything post war British and pre 1975 350 to 500 cc single would give much the same experience. They are light and well balanced and do not mind the heat of a 45-50 mph pace. (75 kmp). Pull a car with ease if that is you liking. Will run an entire week on a tank of fuel. I could run from Kingston Illinois (central of the state) to the Ohio boarder and back on a single tank. The cable operated drum brakes will hold you and there is something about the sound of a half liter single that is almost Paganini like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Growing up in the New Jersey country side our group had dirt bikes. We had plenty of dirt roads and sand pits. One of our shop teachers in high school happened to be my uncle. He was an electric glide rider. Gathered around his Honda we were discussing road riding. He made a statement that probably was responsible for most of us not becoming street riders. Dress to ride wear a helmet. There’s a 100 percent chance you will at least lay it down or worse. It kept me off the street on one. 

• Like 1

This is my dad’s old bike that I inherited years ago. 1972 Triumph Tiger Daytona.

6B933537-E717-4501-BC8A-50BBF3BB09B1.thumb.jpeg.fc29edc81284b0dc36145e6cd2f4aecc.jpeg

Fun little bike, but haven’t tinkered with (or ridden) it much. Feel like my 9 lives on two wheels were used up in my teens and early 20s. Nothing wrong with walking away and putting the money elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

This is my dad’s old bike that I inherited years ago. 1972 Triumph Tiger Daytona.

6B933537-E717-4501-BC8A-50BBF3BB09B1.thumb.jpeg.fc29edc81284b0dc36145e6cd2f4aecc.jpeg

Fun little bike, but haven’t tinkered with (or ridden) it much. Feel like my 9 lives on two wheels were used up in my teens and early 20s. Nothing wrong with walking away and putting the money elsewhere.

Here is a picture taken by my brother in 1972...

DonTriumph.jpg.e21a864a20a34a053ce29e67718b91e5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I miss the hair much more than the bike!  ^^  My plan was to upgrade my '13 SuperGlide with a new basic Road King this upcoming season.  However I stumbled across a basic Freewheeler which has piqued my interest!  It addresses many of the qualities of a Road King while reducing some of the physical demands of a heavy motorcycle.

710300851_21RoadKing.thumb.jpg.472a8265338bdd9b67d417acf06289c1.jpgfreewheeler.thumb.jpg.0f327e36f0d4c63ec890bd4635164ce0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, pokismoki said:

It took me a moment but I think I figured out the message behind this response!  I have owned and appreciated foreign automobiles and motorcycles but the ones with American roots are my favorite!  I too will sing about my Harley and Chevy.  My Honda and Toyota ..... not so much.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Donstar said:

It took me a moment but I think I figured out the message behind this response!  I have owned and appreciated foreign automobiles and motorcycles but the ones with American roots are my favorite!  I too will sing about my Harley and Chevy.  My Honda and Toyota ..... not so much.

i was thinking more about a bucket of KFC

• Haha 1