Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

The new variant might actually be a good thing if it’s as mild as it appears. 38 countries, no deaths. I mean you could find someone who died of a stubbed toe in this same timeframe, so I’m optimistic. Of course, this all assumes logic and science starts to prevail again.

We had our first significant snowfall of the season yesterday.  My first order of business was to fire up the snow blower and take it for a walk around the cul-de-sac.  Then, my new Michelin Defenders carved a trail up to plowed streets - grown up fun in the snow!  My wife thought this was all quite comical and then I remembered the brain vs body aging comments in this thread.  My snowsuit and toys look different but I get as excited as a kid at the first snowfall.  Of course, if I was a younger adult facing a long commute to work, instead of a hot cup of coffee in front of the fireplace, my enthusiasm may be different!   However, I bet the past almost two years of Covid has changed the impact of snow days for students and office workers.  I didn't see a single person struggling to get their car out to go to work or drive kids to school!  The ability to work and learn from our kitchen tables is, in many ways, a positive outcome from the pandemic.   I had a medical appointment yesterday that went ahead as scheduled.  Both my Doctor and I were sitting in our respective living rooms and nothing was missed by not meeting in a downtown office!

• Like 3

This reminds me of a recent news story in Texas. A middle school had to shut down recently. It seems the kids had forgotten how to interact in groups. A few bad apples had more influence than they normally would. They were hoping to bring volunteers for a more adult to student ratio for deterrence or guidance. Of course the teachers could be confusing excitement for bad behavior. There’re out of practice too. 

52 minutes ago, Donstar said:

We had our first significant snowfall of the season yesterday.  My first order of business was to fire up the snow blower and take it for a walk around the cul-de-sac.  Then, my new Michelin Defenders carved a trail up to plowed streets - grown up fun in the snow!  My wife thought this was all quite comical and then I remembered the brain vs body aging comments in this thread.  My snowsuit and toys look different but I get as excited as a kid at the first snowfall.  Of course, if I was a younger adult facing a long commute to work, instead of a hot cup of coffee in front of the fireplace, my enthusiasm may be different!   However, I bet the past almost two years of Covid has changed the impact of snow days for students and office workers.  I didn't see a single person struggling to get their car out to go to work or drive kids to school!  The ability to work and learn from our kitchen tables is, in many ways, a positive outcome from the pandemic.   I had a medical appointment yesterday that went ahead as scheduled.  Both my Doctor and I were sitting in our respective living rooms and nothing was missed by not meeting in a downtown office!

I really enjoy reading your missives with morning coffee! 😉 

Now if they were the length of say a Poe short story.

They are over much to soon. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:08 AM, Donstar said:

My snowsuit and toys look different but I get as excited as a kid at the first snowfall.  

same here. On Sunday we had 2" of heavy wet snow that made excellent snowmen. Today 3" of light fluffy stuff.

I was happy to get out my Ariens with fresh gas and fresh oil.

New toy this year for this kids is an arctic cat 120. Hoping to get that out this weekend. A few more nights in single digits and we'll be out ice skating on the pond. I think I enjoy winter more than most people! My wife says she'll be wintering down south when she retires. I'll say, "See you in the spring!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, aseibel said:

same here. On Sunday we had 2" of heavy wet snow that made excellent snowmen. Today 3" of light fluffy stuff.

I was happy to get out my Ariens with fresh gas and fresh oil.

New toy this year for this kids is an arctic cat 120. Hoping to get that out this weekend. A few more nights in single digits and we'll be out ice skating on the pond. I think I enjoy winter more than most people! My wife says she'll be wintering down south when she retires. I'll say, "See you in the spring!"

I like four seasons!  We once lived in a region where winter dominated the year.  When it wasn't winter, it was bugs & mud season!  The pacific northwest offers us all four seasons, each with their own appeal.  I'm with you and enjoy winter the most with the caveat that Spring will follow!

• Like 2

I grew up in New Jersey. Four seasons generally mild summers, sometimes brutal winters. 42 years in the Houston area. Oct to June mostly can’t be beat for weather. Just a small taste of winter, mostly. The end of June until the end of September takes a little getting used to. In small doses. I don’t miss even NJ winter’s as a trade off. 

• Like 1

I'm just not a winter guy. Winter heating bills are killer. Don't ice fish. No snowmobile. Can't ski. Hate salt. HATE SALT. Haven't built a snowman since grade school. My dad however would be happy on the South Pole. His thinking is you can always put more on. You can't take it all off. Me...I dislike pain and cold hurts. Heat is just uncomfortable. 

:rant:

• Haha 1

I'm with your Pop, Marty!  I had to live in Texas for work. I left as soon as I could because of things I can't speak directly  about in this board....LOL 

Karnut, there are beautiful places in NJ, and they are all owned by rich folks who fly in and fly out....LOL

So I get why Texastan looks so good to you. 

29 minutes ago, customboss said:

I'm with your Pop, Marty!  I had to live in Texas for work. I left as soon as I could because of things I can't speak directly  about in this board....LOL 

Karnut, there are beautiful places in NJ, and they are all owned by rich folks who fly in and fly out....LOL

My father had a large farm in Cream Ridge NJ. He had a large construction C0. My brothers and sister showed Appaloosa Horses. It became hard to own a large business there. Long story with soprano like implications. Easy peasy in Texas. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My father had a large farm in Cream Ridge NJ. He had a large construction C0. My brothers and sister showed Appaloosa Horses. It became hard to own a large business there. Long story with soprano like implications. Easy peasy in Texas. 

Beautiful country and I get it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, customboss said:

I lived in El Paso. Loved it. Hot? Oh yea but it was a dry heat 

:crackup:

In a decade there I saw snow twice. It stuck once...till about noon. 

Why did I leave?

:banghead:

• Haha 1

Most of my working life was in the public school setting so July and/or August were often spent with family in the Houston area.  Over the years I've experienced significant periods of extreme heat and bitter cold.  I'm not a fan of either extreme but  would prefer my chances of surviving outdoors in the cold over the heat!  I have tremendous respect for the Houston area pioneers pre AC.  At least my northern ancestors always had fire!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

Most of my working life was in the public school setting so July and/or August were often spent with family in the Houston area.  Over the years I've experienced significant periods of extreme heat and bitter cold.  I'm not a fan of either extreme but  would prefer my chances of surviving outdoors in the cold over the heat!  I have tremendous respect for the Houston area pioneers pre AC.  At least my northern ancestors always had fire!

If it wasn’t for AC I wouldn’t live here. I lived in both climates. The area I live in gets damn hot for just 21/2 months. The rest of the time it’s very nice. Today it’s 80. In two days it going to be 60. We don’t get frost so the grass is green. I just came back from Fayetteville NC. The grass is brown. It was cold and windy. I do miss spring in NJ. The smell is refreshing. 

Christmas is less than a week away and most of us know where we will be eating and who will be joining us at the table.  We thought up until last week that family may join us but recent covid travel advisories have dashed that wish.   We then started to examine our potentially worst case scenario.  It looks like two best friends who have been together through everything over the past fifty years, sitting alone eating a prime rib dinner, followed by TV and an early night....   Hmmmm.....     

• Like 1