Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Wow!  Major roads are washed out and people have realized that supplies aren't getting through.  Panic buying is now creating a problem.   I am surprised that so many didn't learn from the great TP crisis of 2020! 😉  The part of the news people don't heed is that the panic buying is creating current shortages, not the damaged roads!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Wow!  Major roads are washed out and people have realized that supplies aren't getting through.  Panic buying is now creating a problem.   I am surprised that so many didn't learn from the great TP crisis of 2020! 😉  The part of the news people don't heed is that the panic buying is creating current shortages, not the damaged roads!

It’s happening here with Christmas shopping. My son and I go Christmas Eve as a tradition. He shops I watch. It’s usually amusing. I expect it to be less hectic with people getting it done early. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I've heard a Lion directs his roar to the earth when hunting to confuse the prey. This tactic hiding his direction of approach. The prey then often runs to the lion in panic. As big and bad as we believe ourselves to be...we are prey when we feel vulnerable. Some still need to learn it's not the quickest draw that hits the mark. It's the coolest head and careful aim. No need to spray and pray. :crackup: It's sad wisdom is not the possession of all people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our recent weather event has created tremendous hardship for many people in our province.  Many have lost their homes and life's memories.  We've only experienced supply and fuel delays but nothing dramatic.   Yesterday morning I wanted more than just the good of donating to disaster relief.  I decided to spruce up my little piece of the province and moved my Christmas lights from my crawl space to my eavestroughs.  Either my efforts were contagious or coincidental, but two of my neighbours got into the spirit and by the time the rain returned, our street looked a little happier!  

• Like 1

I found a cartoon depicting a boy standing next to his teacher's desk.  I thought it to be an old joke as the boy appeared to be in bell bottom pants and the teacher's desk looked antiquated.  It took me awhile to finally notice that both characters were wearing masks.  I asked my wife and she also took awhile to spot the masks.  In a short period of history masks have become normal.  I'm sure there are still individuals who wear masks in public venues begrudgingly but accept this as the price of admission.  Covid continues to impact  our lives and we've changed to minimize risk.  Over the past (almost) two years I have dramatically changed how I interact with my grandchildren.  Doing things together for a few weeks a year has been replaced with regular video face to face conversations.  In a short while we will return to the in-person visiting but the Covid Zoom visits will continue.  There is some unanticipated value in this focused one on one conversation that is hard to get in a busy family environment.  Sometimes we change without noticing.  I recently read about a child asking his parent why we say, "Hang up the phone."    Who noticed that most of us have lost our ability to hang up the phone? 😉 

• Like 1

I do lots of reading in my spare time. Information is all over regarding the Covid. Florida and Texas seem to be held out as what not to do in regards to the Covid. Recently I read that overall Florida has faired the best in regards to the Covid. Same can be said about Texas. Strangely there’s been in the last year an uptick in people moving to each state. Wonder why? 

Edited by KARNUT

I've gotten so use to wearing it when in strangers company that it feels funny not to. I've also found a mask very useful when doing things that trigger my allergy response. Like mowing grass and bagging with the push mower. Working outside when it's cold. Shoveling snow. Keeps the cold air out of my lungs. I can work longer an in greater comfort. I spent most of my working life in a full face respirator in killer heat and bitter cold. Never bothered me then and doesn't now. 

I suffer tinnitus so Zoom meetings and services is great as I can control volume. Suffering is suffering and this ain't that. 

• Like 2

Interesting observations and thoughts. 

2 cents worth:  

Viruses don't care what we think or what we do, they are  bio-machines are looking for live hosts to thrive on. Period.  Virus is not alive. 

"Viruses occupy a special taxonomic position: they are not plants, animals, or prokaryotic bacteria (single-cell organisms without defined nuclei), and they are generally placed in their own kingdom. In fact, viruses should not even be considered organisms, in the strictest sense, because they are not free-living—i.e., they cannot reproduce and carry on metabolic processes without a host cell." Britannica 

Bottom line is that if you are a available host you are carrying it, sharing it, helping it thrive.  We must get past hunkering down but not ignore the system that has killed nearly 800,000 US Citizens since Jan 22 2020.  Some stats for various states.......

USA FACTS.ORG 

Vermont,Florida,Texas,Maryland and my state Colorado 

virus don't care what we think, kinda like honey badger...... LOL 

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 22.00.18.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 22.01.27.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 22.02.05.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 22.04.26.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 22.05.26.png

Edited by customboss
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I do lots of reading in my spare time. Information is all over regarding the Covid. Florida and Texas seem to be held out as what not to do in regards to the Covid. Recently I read that overall Florida has faired the best in regards to the Covid. Same can be said about Texas. Strangely there’s been in the last year an uptick in people moving to each state. Wonder why? 

We have also experienced a tremendous "uptick" in people moving to our area over the past year.  We have comparatively strict Covid protocols in place.  Yesterday, someone was canvassing our street offering a cash purchase of our homes, no inspection, 100K+ over market value!   We used some spare time analyzing the possibility of further downsizing our home for more spending money.  Snowbirding in The Woodlands was a major topic for consideration!  I would not go into a mall or public venue where masks are optional.  This, in itself, wouldn't prevent me from moving to your neighbourhood as I have personal connections and they all wear masks and are double vaccinated! 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Donstar said:

We have also experienced a tremendous "uptick" in people moving to our area over the past year.  We have comparatively strict Covid protocols in place.  Yesterday, someone was canvassing our street offering a cash purchase of our homes, no inspection, 100K+ over market value!   We used some spare time analyzing the possibility of further downsizing our home for more spending money.  Snowbirding in The Woodlands was a major topic for consideration!  I would not go into a mall or public venue where masks are optional.  This, in itself, wouldn't prevent me from moving to your neighbourhood as I have personal connections and they all wear masks and are double vaccinated! 😉

I always have a mask in my pocket. I’m all for personal comfort and freedom. Reading hearing about a new Covid. First few days was panic reporting and shut down speculation. Now it’s a very mild strain. Which always seems to be the natural course in the past. Woodlands cool, I’m around lake Conroe. Moved from communist NJ 40 years ago. My house has tripled in the last few years. I don’t want to move for  any amount. 

We ran out of excuses for not shopping for a new mattress.  We've done this chore a few times in our half century of living together  and have never enjoyed the process.    We thought that going to a major chain store specializing in beds would ease our anxiety and expedite the process.  Nope.   We then visited a popular furniture store with a small selection of beds that are popular sellers.  We saw one we both liked, in stock, and half the price of one we gravitated to at the previous store.  I have surprised myself a few times over the past year on how much money I can save by taking time to shop around!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Donstar said:

We ran out of excuses for not shopping for a new mattress.  

We got rid of a mattress that was perfectly fine because Mrs. Bear said it was "OLD" and THEY say we need to replace it every X years no matter what. Whatever. I gave in....eventually 😉 

So the replacement was great...for about 3 months then we suffered with it for a few years. About a year ago we bought another when my back treatments were costing more that the debts of some small countries. Eventually she gave in 😉

I told here to forget what THEY say and remember....

There will be no divorce as long as I have a sharp shovel and a big backyard.

:crackup: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

We got rid of a mattress that was perfectly fine because Mrs. Bear said it was "OLD" and THEY say we need to replace it every X years no matter what. Whatever. I gave in....eventually 😉 

So the replacement was great...for about 3 months then we suffered with it for a few years. About a year ago we bought another when my back treatments were costing more that the debts of some small countries. Eventually she gave in 😉

I told here to forget what THEY say and remember....

There will be no divorce as long as I have a sharp shovel and a big backyard.

:crackup: 

Our current mattress has served us for over a decade and would probably last us a few more years.  Three months after we bought it, it began to settle on both sides leaving a high middle.  Our warranty claim was dismissed as the height difference had to exceed 1.5 inches to be covered.  Visits to the middle soon lost all spontaneity and/or subtlety.   We paid a lot for this set so we put up with it for so many years.  This time, we didn't follow the logic that more expensive means better.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Our current mattress has served us for over a decade and would probably last us a few more years.  Three months after we bought it, it began to settle on both sides leaving a high middle.  Our warranty claim was dismissed as the height difference had to exceed 1.5 inches to be covered.  Visits to the middle soon lost all spontaneity and/or subtlety.   We paid a lot for this set so we put up with it for so many years.  This time, we didn't follow the logic that more expensive means better.  

There seems to be a thought that something 'new' in technology is equal to 'better'.

The that first mattress was a pocketed coil spring with a cotton batting pillow top. At twenty years it still looked and felt new but hey there was new 'technology' and cotton burns...it's a safety thing. LOL I'd spent less on cars. 

Second one was a memory foam of multiple density laminated construction that 'ditched' in months favoring my heavier areas the put the back in spasms it wouldn't come out of for months. (What is more deadly than burning foam?) 

Know what that don't make anymore? Cotton batt pillow top's. Because the discontinued them, NOBODY was buying them so.....they discontinued them? 

:idiot:

We found a coil spring synthetic fiber pillow top that is pretty close to our first and seems to be holding up quite well. Still not like the first but as good as 'Better" is going to allow. Different is more times than not...just different.

😡

• Like 1