Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

My son pulled my words to him from his youth and they were similar to yours.   I also recognize that maintaining a vehicle is cheaper than buying new.  However, I am experiencing some significant maintenance costs with my six year old truck.  I am not totally dependent on my truck on a daily basis so I can afford the commensurate down time.  October will end with me totaling $2100 in truck maintenance during the month.   The sad part about these costs is no one but me will notice!  This does not include new wheels but I am getting my factory wheels re-painted.   My tires are a new replacement set of Michelin Defenders but 265 vs 255 width.  The larger size is $30 per tire cheaper.  Now I'm faced with the same dilemma I struggled with the last time I got new tires c/w alignment.  Do I pay the extra and have my 1.5" level kit installed?  My hope would be for a subtle enhancement to the truck without making entry/exit problematic.  My intention with the spacers was to enhance the look without looking modified.  Opinions? Experiences?

Since the 90s when our business got profitable I bought a new truck about every two years. I drove about 50K miles a year. My business cost was about 3to500$ per month. Naturally more as time progressed. Not counting gas and general maintenance. Warranty covered any repairs. My 14 GMC was 435 per month , it was a fantastic deal. Not happy with cylinder deactivation I didn’t keep it. My almost 20 year old cherry Avalanche cost me with TT&l 6700$ with 168K mile. New tires,plug, wires, brakes,shocks. The only flaw is the drivers side seat. I covered it. I switch all fluids to Amsoil. Spent 200$ on an AC leak that’s it. It’s my personal vehicle replacing what normally would be a collector vehicle. My wife had difficulty getting into pickups or  SUVs so we don’t use them for trip vehicles. At between 8-10K miles a year it’s a perfect fit for me. That leaves me at about 350$ a month. Going down each month as long as nothing major fails. My wife’s Genesis is 10 years old. Both these vehicles stay within 10 miles from the house. Mother in law decided she didn’t want to drive anymore so we got her 15 CRV with 6K miles on it. My wife drives her around so anyway that was the trade off. My 17 Camry was our trip car, Grandaughter drives it now. Honestly I don’t really prefer trucks as trip vehicles. Car’s and front drive SUVs drive better and are more efficient. You  get more bang for the Buck. I’ll always have a truck. Just as a personal vehicle. 

• Like 1

Living a substantial portion of my adult life pre-internet really helps me appreciate the pros and cons of spending leisure time online.   I find myself taking interest in things I wouldn't have bothered with if I had to use the traditional methods of research.  I recently had my wheels refinished and was subsequently reading reviews on the company that provided this service.  One writer complained about wheels not torqued properly after having this work performed.  I decided to check my truck but my 3/8" torque wrench was only good to 100ft. lbs.  This served as a good excuse to buy a new tool.  My research informed me that not all torque wrenches are created equal and it took hours  online  before I could find the right one at the right price.  It turns out that the reviewer was correct and one of my wheels required some tightening.  I was proud of my efforts and my new complete wheel replacing kit c/w a 1/2" torque wrench.  Yesterday I was reading old threads on this forum and discovered that the 7/8" deep socket that came with my new kit works but is the wrong size!  Thanks to the internet, I went to the tool store and spent $12 more dollars on a 22mm deep socket for the next time I decide to check the lug nut torque of my truck!  Ignorance could have save me time and money!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Living a substantial portion of my adult life pre-internet really helps me appreciate the pros and cons of spending leisure time online.   I find myself taking interest in things I wouldn't have bothered with if I had to use the traditional methods of research.  I recently had my wheels refinished and was subsequently reading reviews on the company that provided this service.  One writer complained about wheels not torqued properly after having this work performed.  I decided to check my truck but my 3/8" torque wrench was only good to 100ft. lbs.  This served as a good excuse to buy a new tool.  My research informed me that not all torque wrenches are created equal and it took hours  online  before I could find the right one at the right price.  It turns out that the reviewer was correct and one of my wheels required some tightening.  I was proud of my efforts and my new complete wheel replacing kit c/w a 1/2" torque wrench.  Yesterday I was reading old threads on this forum and discovered that the 7/8" deep socket that came with my new kit works but is the wrong size!  Thanks to the internet, I went to the tool store and spent $12 more dollars on a 22mm deep socket for the next time I decide to check the lug nut torque of my truck!  Ignorance could have save me time and money!

In my youth my attitude was if a human can do it I can too. I learned a lot with that attitude. The problem was usually I spent more money learning things the hard way. The internet showed me the right way to do things the first time. What comes to mind is changing the inside door handle on a 98 Tahoe I owned years ago. Recently changing and buying a tail light for my daughters odyssey. Big money savings buying and repairing. I remember the Tahoe especially. I probably would have torn the thing up. The YouTube video I looked at prior made  the exercise a breeze. With the net and a little desire a person can do anything. Maybe not brain surgery.  

• Like 1

Well I spent time getting my Covid-19 booster. I barely noticed my fist shot with nothing more than some injection site discomfort. That about half that of a tetanus shot. The second was a bit more difficult but so little so that it took seeing the experience in the rear view mirror to note that for a few days I was extra tired and slept a bit longer. 

This third one however tapped my in the forehead and whispered, "Hang on kiddo". I wasn't chilled but was cold. Like standing in the beer cooler too long cold and very tired for about 50 hours. All over body ache that took nothing more than a couple of Advil to calm down. Nothing about it was worse than half that of seasonal flu. 

I did this as my fathers cancer diagnosis and treatment leaves him exposed more than most and we do like to visit. Oh and it is less painful than death I assume. 😉 

• Like 2

Got my booster. Only reaction on this one was a slight headache for about 2 hours maybe. Nothing on the first shot. Second shot had a headache starting in the evening. Had it when I hit the sack. Fine the next morning.

Anyone had their shingles vaccine? Got mine friday. Holy crap wasn't prepared for the sensation I was getting during the injection. It's quite a bit of fluid apparently, so there is a  pressure building sensation as your tissues are saturated. No pain just some discomfort for a few minutes. Final shot will be in 2-6 months. I'll get it 12/30 to get it over with

Edited by txab
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, txab said:

Got my booster. Only reaction on this one was a slight headache for about 2 hours maybe. Nothing on the first shot. Second shot had a headache starting in the evening. Had it when I hit the sack. Fine the next morning.

Anyone had their shingles vaccine? Got mine friday. Holy crap wasn't prepared for the sensation I was getting during the injection. It's quite a bit of fluid apparently, so there is a  pressure building sensation as your tissues are saturated. No pain just some discomfort for a few minutes. Final shot will be in 2-6 months. I'll get it 12/30 to get it over with

Yes, got my shingles shot and getting the second one in Jan.  Man, that first shot did me in.  Not sure what was up but I was not feeling well after it.  But if it keeps me from getting the shingles then it is worth it. My dad had them and he was in serious pain for a long time.  Same with my mother-in law.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Donstar said:

I got a set of metric and standard, deep 6 point impact sockets from Harbor Freight.  Works well for tire rotations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Yes, got my shingles shot and getting the second one in Jan.  Man, that first shot did me in.  Not sure what was up but I was not feeling well after it.  But if it keeps me from getting the shingles then it is worth it. My dad had them and he was in serious pain for a long time.  Same with my mother-in law.

Whow! Are you saying this is a two shot course? 

Wow! Glad I didn't have that reaction. Hoping to miss out on reaction to the second one too.

I watch my mom suffer through shingles twice. Second round not as bad as the first.

Had an uncle get shingles in the face, affect the one of his eyes. Fortunately, he went straight to Dr. at first signs. Shingles around the eye is serious, as I'm guessing vision loss is a good possibility without proper treatment early

• Like 1

1 minute ago, txab said:

Wow! Glad I didn't have that reaction. Hoping to miss out on reaction to the second one too.

I watch my mom suffer through shingles twice. Second round not as bad as the first.

Had an uncle get shingles in the face, affect the one of his eyes. Fortunately, he went straight to Dr. at first signs. Shingles around the eye is serious, as I'm guessing vision loss is a good possibility without proper treatment early

So two shots and you can get it multiple time as well? Anymore good news? 😱

11 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I got a set of metric and standard, deep 6 point impact sockets from Harbor Freight.  Works well for tire rotations.

I bought a kit that was advertised as a "Tire Change Kit" that included sockets to fit most applications.  I was surprised  that a Sierra/Silverado 1500 didn't fit under the category of "most".  I would have bought a set of metric 1/2" deep sockets if I wasn't trying to streamline my tool collection.   I actually sold a good quality 1/2" Torque wrench c/w sockets a while back in my Covid 19 spare time decluttering efforts.   I've always found that the time you will need a tool the most is after you've sold it or loaned it to a friend!

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So two shots and you can get it multiple time as well? Anymore good news? 😱

Yes, it's a two dose series. Mom wasn't vaccinated. The two times she had shingles was prior to the development of the vaccine. Second time was milder than the first. Still uncomfortable though. I've heard you really should only have it one time, but some people, like my mom, can get it twice. I'll chalk her experience the second time being due to being on Arthritis meds. They surpress you immune system

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a mild case years ago. It was still a pain. The booster, I’m on the fence. I’m watching the trends. I have muscle pains at the injection site that limits mobility at times. Glad it’s on my left arm. And it’s only there. Another weird thing. My seasonal allergies never left. Headaches have become daily, never had that problem before. Always stayed away from medications for headaches and allergies. Now almost daily. The dizzies at times. So I requested a Heath screening giving no reason just that I turned 65. Found I’m just peachy. So yea, on the fence I am.

We've talked about activities and projects that occur when we find ourselves with uncommitted time.  I cannot enjoy or consider a project if I haven't dealt with my personal health.  Keeping vaccines up to date is a great example.  On a broader scale, I make sure to have a comprehensive physical once a year because most maladies have better outcomes if detected early.   My exam in September revealed an exceptionally high PSA level.  Subsequent testing indicates I have no immediate worries but it was a wake up call to remain diligent in preventative maintenance!   My father had such tests done in reaction to debilitating discomfort and he experienced the worst of outcomes at my current age range.   We seldom wait for something to break on our trucks before giving it a check over.  You don't need to wait until something hurts to visit your Doctor!

• Like 1