Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Karnut's story about his Dad speaks to the flavor of my father's work ethic.  It is really mind-blowing how powerful our influence is on our children.  If you model  healthy habits, chances are your kids will follow.   My children are all in their 40's and will often credit an accomplishment to something they learned from their dad or mum.  Of course, this works for the negative stuff too!   The activities you do at the office won't be remembered like the things you do with (or in sight of)  your kids in your spare time.  The same applies to grandparents.  The time I spent with my grandpa 60 years ago is remembered in fine detail.  I keep this in mind whenever I interact with my grandchildren on Zoom or in person! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Karnut's story about his Dad speaks to the flavor of my father's work ethic.  It is really mind-blowing how powerful our influence is on our children.  If you model  healthy habits, chances are your kids will follow.   My children are all in their 40's and will often credit an accomplishment to something they learned from their dad or mum.  Of course, this works for the negative stuff too!   The activities you do at the office won't be remembered like the things you do with (or in sight of)  your kids in your spare time.  The same applies to grandparents.  The time I spent with my grandpa 60 years ago is remembered in fine detail.  I keep this in mind whenever I interact with my grandchildren on Zoom or in person! 

My son went to work with me a few times when I was delivering equipment and training operators. This was after my father retired. Spent a few summers working in our manufacturing shop under my brother doing entry level work. His career is selling homes. My nephew on the other hand is for the most part running the family business. We taught family and business importance. Instead of everything starts and ends with the business. My father’s way. The difference probably is never living through the depression. My life flourish with retirement. My father’s declined. Even though he built a thriving business. The inability to relate to the new working environment. Pansies he would call men today. I got to admit it’s different, I’m glad not training operators today. Basic equipment understanding is lost on youth today. Everything is set up like video games. Otherwise most people can’t relate.

• Like 1

"My life flourish[es] with retirement."  I hope everyone has spent a healthy proportion of their spare time in pursuit of resources and skills to flourish in their retirement years!    Don't be caught unprepared.  If you're simply planning to work through your retirement years, you're significantly reducing the odds of  success.  You may not be able or needed to remain in the workforce!   You don't need to amass a lot of toys and wealth to have a productive and happy post work life.  Things change.  Yesterday my wife was more excited when I came home with a new mobility walker than any vehicle I've ever purchased!  We asked ourselves," How is this worth getting excited about?"   The facts that we're so fortunate to live to be old and can afford the tools necessary to live a comfortable life are reflections on our hard work and some planning paying off!  However, the fact that I made my wife so proud, relieved and happy was a little more surprising than I anticipated! 😉 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Donstar said:

"My life flourish[es] with retirement."  I hope everyone has spent a healthy proportion of their spare time in pursuit of resources and skills to flourish in their retirement years!    Don't be caught unprepared.  If you're simply planning to work through your retirement years, you're significantly reducing the odds of  success.  You may not be able or needed to remain in the workforce!   You don't need to amass a lot of toys and wealth to have a productive and happy post work life.  Things change.  Yesterday my wife was more excited when I came home with a new mobility walker than any vehicle I've ever purchased!  We asked ourselves," How is this worth getting excited about?"   The facts that we're so fortunate to live to be old and can afford the tools necessary to live a comfortable life are reflections on our hard work and some planning paying off!  However, the fact that I made my wife so proud, relieved and happy was a little more surprising than I anticipated! 😉 

I tell everyone work only as long as you need to. Retired is wonderful. Although I do know people who love their work and get lots of time off. They don’t think about retirement. I don’t think their marriage would survive it.😳 I was a business owner. Loved my work. Love retirement better. 

• Like 1

We had a Zoom family birthday gathering yesterday for a granddaughter in lockdown.  We may think we've seen our way through this pandemic but it's alive and still impactful.  We had done some planning for an in-person appearance to this "milestone" bday but ended up with more time and money to do other things!  If you're familiar with Dave Ramsey you'll appreciate when I say my income has grown through the pandemic.  We don't have to give up our income to credit card debt or loan payments.  (If the money isn't in our savings, we need to save more!)  It is really remarkable how you can increase your income by taking the time to plan.  When I was working full time and had a good income, my purchases were often spontaneous and poorly researched.  Now, I get up at dawn with a pot of coffee and research my wants and needs.  Currently my search is for tires before winter.   I have an estimate for a set at a local tire store but just found out that my area Costco is having 20% off all tires on Monday.  If nothing else, this could result in negotiating a better price at my local store.  Tires for winter are an expense we have allowed for in our budget. Taking the time to research may result in about a $200 increase in our household income for this month!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Donstar said:

We had a Zoom family birthday gathering yesterday for a granddaughter in lockdown.  We may think we've seen our way through this pandemic but it's alive and still impactful.  We had done some planning for an in-person appearance to this "milestone" bday but ended up with more time and money to do other things!  If you're familiar with Dave Ramsey you'll appreciate when I say my income has grown through the pandemic.  We don't have to give up our income to credit card debt or loan payments.  (If the money isn't in our savings, we need to save more!)  It is really remarkable how you can increase your income by taking the time to plan.  When I was working full time and had a good income, my purchases were often spontaneous and poorly researched.  Now, I get up at dawn with a pot of coffee and research my wants and needs.  Currently my search is for tires before winter.   I have an estimate for a set at a local tire store but just found out that my area Costco is having 20% off all tires on Monday.  If nothing else, this could result in negotiating a better price at my local store.  Tires for winter are an expense we have allowed for in our budget. Taking the time to research may result in about a $200 increase in our household income for this month!  

I started listening to Dave while running my equipment on ROWs in my 30s. We finally got climate control cabs with radios. He came on after Rush🥲. Anyway. By 40 we got serious with our planing. Social Security and a rent house covers the nut. Picking the right place to live makes a big difference. Dave Ramsey was a big influence with my planing.

So I walked into a tire store yesterday looking for a good deal on stock, factory sized, all-season passenger highway tires for my 1/2 ton pickup.  I went home with an estimate for upsized, E rated all terrain, all weather tires. (Nokian Rotiiva AT+ )  I was enthralled with the salesman by his sales skills and confidence in his product.  All I could ask is how much and when!   I didn't commit as I suspected that time or my wife would squash this idea. Neither has happened.   One thing this past year and a half has taught me is there is no need to rush nor do I always need to be practical and boring!! 

11 minutes ago, Donstar said:

So I walked into a tire store yesterday looking for a good deal on stock, factory sized, all-season passenger highway tires for my 1/2 ton pickup.  I went home with an estimate for upsized, E rated all terrain, all weather tires. (Nokian Rotiiva AT+ )  I was enthralled with the salesman by his sales skills and confidence in his product.  All I could ask is how much and when!   I didn't commit as I suspected that time or my wife would squash this idea. Neither has happened.   One thing this past year and a half has taught me is there is no need to rush nor do I always need to be practical and boring!! 

Oh no. Tire topics are as contested as oil topics. Hold on.🍿

35 minutes ago, Donstar said:

One thing this past year and a half has taught me is there is no need to rush nor do I always need to be practical and boring!! 

"Boring" is an interesting word. I asked a nine year old once what boring means. Her reply, "Not, Entertained" For a girl of nine she showed much insight. I liked her answer. It fits my experience. Can't speak for Webster or Oxford. 

As more than appearance can entertain us I find myself unable and unwilling to be bored. When it came time, for example, to start looking for Pepper's new shoes I made a mental check list of those things I thought the current tire fell short of in meeting my needs, wants and expectations and started researching. More than a year in advance. I tend to ignore most but not all "consumer reviews" and boast from "product influencers". Use a grain of salt reviewing professional reviews from sources who are sponsored by the products they review. Picking through the trash if you will. I find this whole process quite entertaining long before the purchase. Then the buy...that's a small thing but still entertaining. 

My mechanic didn't like my choice. My neighbors think them ugly, plain, boring. The conversations with these people are...entertaining. As is my defense. 

In use, they have proved to be everything I hoped they would be and quite a bit more I am still discovering. Much like learning all those unknown details you uncover about your wife after you marry her that last a lifetime. 

So while the majority do not approve...I do....am entertained, satisfied, content and happy!! And yes...they are extremely practical. 

And they were at a great price. My mind is way to inquisitive and active to be bored. Yes even with the mundane.

What goes on in my noggin in WAY more exciting / entertaining than anything in an others 'reality'. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

I used tires as example of how I am spending some of my time.  I  often take what can appear to others as mundane and relatively simple choices and come up with results that challenge my common sense. You can find me scoffing at the same type of tire I'm considering in other threads on this forum!     In my current circumstances, this would be a no risk (and unnoticeable to most others) way to add a little "entertainment" to my life!   A very noticeable risk I took last week was to buy a black (match my Harley 😉 ) 4 wheeled mobility walker.  Like tires, there is a huge selection of styles, shapes and sizes.   I won't attempt to spark your interest on such a purchase but will share an observation.  There often comes a time when you think getting assistance will demonstrate weakness or generate unwanted pity.  The fact is you'll garner far more respect and relief from others when you demonstrate that you're taking control over your well being.  Like many, I suffer with significant back issues which is often reflected in a guarded walking style.  I feel safe but those around me worry. A proper walker used properly forces me to a normal, walking position and significantly increases my distance while minimizing my back pain.  The good thing is that I don't have to use it and will be comfortable using it when it becomes necessary 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I used tires as example of how I am spending some of my time.  I  often take what can appear to others as mundane and relatively simple choices and come up with results that challenge my common sense. You can find me scoffing at the same type of tire I'm considering in other threads on this forum!     In my current circumstances, this would be a no risk (and unnoticeable to most others) way to add a little "entertainment" to my life!   A very noticeable risk I took last week was to buy a black (match my Harley 😉 ) 4 wheeled mobility walker.  Like tires, there is a huge selection of styles, shapes and sizes.   I won't attempt to spark your interest on such a purchase but will share an observation.  There often comes a time when you think getting assistance will demonstrate weakness or generate unwanted pity.  The fact is you'll garner far more respect and relief from others when you demonstrate that you're taking control over your well being.  Like many, I suffer with significant back issues which is often reflected in a guarded walking style.  I feel safe but those around me worry. A proper walker used properly forces me to a normal, walking position and significantly increases my distance while minimizing my back pain.  The good thing is that I don't have to use it and will be comfortable using it when it becomes necessary 

I led a very exciting life. I love what other people call boring. I’m self entertaining, just ask my wife. Sitting on my deck, going for ride, even watching reruns on tv. I was always too busy working. I’m catching up now. Ncis never saw it until I was retired, I was in bed by 8. Still am, I like early mornings. If want more exciting I go visit grandkids and play board games. I can relate to the back thing. Operating equipment took care of that. A walker is in my future, I’ll embrace it. I don’t want to leave anything on the table when I go. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

Did you buy one of those"upwalkers? that I see advertised?

5 hours ago, txab said:

Did you buy one of those"upwalkers? that I see advertised?

No.  I think the upwalker design would be great but more of a leap than I was prepared to make at this time.  It is definitely a consideration in the future. 

51 minutes ago, Donstar said:

No.  I think the upwalker design would be great but more of a leap than I was prepared to make at this time.  It is definitely a consideration in the future. 

I was looking into those for my mom before she passed. I feel it's a good design to keep you upright. I had been looking for people who actually had one to get their experiences

• Like 1

14 hours ago, txab said:

I was looking into those for my mom before she passed. I feel it's a good design to keep you upright. I had been looking for people who actually had one to get their experiences

Finding the most appropriate medical aids for a loved one is a daunting task.   Needs vary and change.  Differences of opinions, experiences, relationships and reality add to the mix.  I remember a difficult discussion with my mother's care home.  We wanted her to use a motorized chair in the facility but they preferred residents use walkers.  They had a "use it or lose it"  argument.  The effort required for her to go beyond her room was heartbreaking and she was getting very tired of making the effort.  They respected our wishes and we believed mom was much happier and was able to participate more in activities and outings.  I really don't know if our choice was the best as she was non-committal  on such matters.   In my case, I've put a lot of time thinking about this and I want to move under my own power for as long as I am able.  I also know that I need to appear safe or other well meaning family may start trying to challenge my choices!  I actually feel bad about how happy my wife is that I've accepted a walker into my life.  I knew she was watching me like a hawk but I didn't appreciate her level of concern.  Yesterday when I showed her what you meant by "upwalker", she said it can be one of my Christmas presents!  I wish she'd show the same enthusiasm when I show her new trucks...

• Like 2