Does this piece come off of step bars?

25 minutes ago, 99Mastercraft said:

My step bars are chipping and i was thinking about having them repainted. Does the plastic pieces come off of them or are they glued on? How would I get them off?

thanks!

FE004776-5572-4713-935C-FEE10CD0569E.jpeg

My guess is they snap on and they can be pried off from the top. try taking a putty knife to it. 

They do snap on and off but as previously suggested new clips will likely be required. I think the effort will exceed the benefit and I'd touch up the chips while leaving the step pads in place. and the bars on the truck.  Sometime in the future you may decide to treat yourself to an entire new set!

On 4/15/2020 at 11:29 AM, ILSilverado said:

My guess is they snap on and they can be pried off from the top. try taking a putty knife to it. 

Say goodbye to scratches and chips.

I powdercoated mine, i bought them used, they were chromed, i had them coated semi dull black. I've never liked them shiny.

It was about $30 dollars.

the  rubber/plastic i took off by pushing the clips from the bottom.

your should have access holes, look at them fro the bottom.

I've powdercoated my wheels for SEMA feature vehicles. Only problem was putting your car/truck on jack stands, and have the tires dismounted. Then have my painter draw a color line at the flat part next to the tires. Mine has a hub welded to jackstands, mount the tire and spin It as he paintstripped it, while turning.

Any of you go to Sema.org and search under SEMA featured vehicles and search for lovecars.com. 

That website I used for sales. Now I use lovecars.co only for my email address.

Maybe one day when I get off my a** and put up a real website.

Stay safe you guys.

On 4/15/2020 at 2:02 PM, 99Mastercraft said:

My step bars are chipping and i was thinking about having them repainted. Does the plastic pieces come off of them or are they glued on? How would I get them off?

thanks!

What are your plans to repair the chipped paint? Mine are doing the exact same thing I actually posted a similar question just last week.   I plan to keep the step pads on but you can remove the bars from the mounting brackets with a few bolts, i think. 

Part of me wants to try to sand, prime , paint.  Other part says bedliner.  Other part says just do minimum necessary to touch up but I am doubtful it'll blend and I have some decent sized pieces fall off