Beacon Wire Connection

I need help connecting to the Fifth, the # 5, Upfitter power wire in the Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL).  I would like to power a headache rack mounted light bar from that switch.  I have looked at the Upfitter Bulletin #157, but it does not give me enough information to identify the location to drill in the CHMSL.  Has anyone in the forum done this and can add some advice, or pictures?  Image below is from the bulletin.

Beacon.thumb.PNG.4a7b24fc3f775743c2234bb09a8be674.PNG

Insert other media.url

• 4 months later...

Boredom overcame the fear of drilling a hole to find the beacon, or fifth Upfitter switch, wirers.  I used a 5/8 drill, the largest I have, and the smallest I would recommend. I started with a 3/8, then stepped up to a 1/2, and finally the 5/8.  I was hoping to avoid chipping the paint, didn’t work, a small hole saw would have done a better job. A 1/4 ID / 5/8 OD grommet hides some of the paint chips, but not all.  The two wires, hot and ground are wrapped in BLACK cloth tape making them very hard to find in the BLACK hole.  The pliers just slipped on the cloth tape, the brake spring hook worked much better.  I included a link to the Upfitter bulletin and a few photos.  Switch number five now powers a 52 inch light bar.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1329/UI Bulletin_157.pdf

IMG_3916.png

IMG_3918.png

IMG_3919.png

IMG_3920.png

Edited by Major Tom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Truck will still make it into the garage, but just.  Garage is 23 feet to the step up and 82.5 inches from floor to bottom edge of the weather strip. The light bar deflects the weather strip ion the way in an out.

Headache Rack and 52” light bar are from Magnum.

29A76BA4-BAD0-43A6-9C40-50598B53BE61.jpeg

Just confirming that this is a green with blue chaser wire for B+ and black for B-?

I looked at the AUX connection and found the Gr/Bu wire on the corner of the connector.  I would assume this is the line side of the wire and if you didn't want to drill the holes, you may be able to cut and splice this wire to use as another point to connect to switch 5?

When I install my switches, I'll check power at the connector before I cut and splice into it for sure.

The green wire with blue stripe is the +12 volt connection and the black wire does go to ground.  Take a look at the link in the second post of this thread for a link to Upfitter bulletin # 157, page four and five have references to the switch connector.

• 4 months later...
On 9/24/2020 at 11:52 AM, Major Tom said:

Truck will still make it into the garage, but just.  Garage is 23 feet to the step up and 82.5 inches from floor to bottom edge of the weather strip. The light bar deflects the weather strip ion the way in an out.

Headache Rack and 52” light bar are from Magnum.

29A76BA4-BAD0-43A6-9C40-50598B53BE61.jpeg

Did you get the regular height or low rack from Magnum? Any issues with the upper camera if you have one? I have one on a 1500 and love it, but not sure if it would interfere with the camera on a 3500.

The light bak comes with a weatherproof plug with about a nine inch pigtail.  The hole in the plastic third brake light housing is sealed wit a tight fitting rubber groment with a little silicon sealer for good measure.  I live in Phoenix Arizona area.  We have only had a total of about two inches of rain in since I mounted the light bar, no leaks yet.

• 1 year later...