Pro's and Con's of these two types of leveling kits

22 hours ago, 737mechanic said:

I want to level my 2016 Z71 Sierra, Out of these two types of kits are there any pro's or cons between the two? 

T198814008.jpg

T198814026.jpg

I am not positive, but if you don't change the bump stops, one can cause the shock to be the potential bump stop on up travel, and the other can cause the shock to be the bump stop on down travel. I am not sure how large a spacer it takes to hit the limits of the factory shock travel.   

• 5 weeks later...

Pull the 1-1/4" spacer from the rear spring instead of messing with front end geometry. Need more" 2" shackle drop the rear. Now it's level. No pinion shim required. Check the alignment. Removes a hair of castor which plays with the camber and toe. Normally fine unless it was near out to begin with. Factory isn't picky. Beauty of this method is factory shocks are now centered in all four corners and your tires look right. You loose a hair of frontal area and your happier at the pump. Less up to get in. What's not to like?

• Like 2

my thoughts exactly, i was planning this removal too alleviate some axle wrap, and its a plus to help drag your ass into the truck after a long day, lift kits actually cause so much loss in performance across the entire envelope of a trucks overall duty

another issue with the lift , after its done will require recal of the steering angle sensor, then your gonna want to install a taller tire like a 33-35", which may not fit in the spare wheel well.. more problems overall.

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

A top spacer or bottom spacer will ride and handle the same. I had a 2" top spacer on my 2014 double cab, a 2" bottom spacer on my 2015 crew cab. They rode the same, bottom spacer was a little easier to install, less things to unbolt. An alignment was done afterwards to both trucks, no other issues. 

I purchased the bottom Motofab spacer kit (1.5") and it is still in the box. The subjective improvement in looks is the only "pro" I could find after a lot of reading of the lengthy threads on the topic of levelling kits.  When/if  it comes time to change shocks, I may add a little height with Bilsteins as suggested by Flyingfool.  The ability to accommodate bigger tires is also a matter of looks.  You can find premium quality tires that will exceed your needs in the size posted in your truck.  If your plans include serious off road adventures where ground clearance is an issue,  you will find a lift kit will better suit your needs.

• Like 1