GM Splash Guards installed "backwards"?

So I just picked up a 2020 AT4 and I had the dealer install the GM Splash Guards front and rear, and on the rear they installed them on the cab side of the wheel wells.   This seems backwards to me, I've always seen/installed splash/mud guards on the rear of the wheel well. 

Interestingly looking at the GM site pictures it does seem like they show the rear version mounted on the cab side.   I guess it helps keep spray/junk off the truck cab side, but it seems like if I want rearward mud guards I'll have to either buy another set, or something else molded for it.  They are shorter than I thought they'd be so it's probably best to get something longer on the rear anyway.  Just thought it was odd.

Thanks,

Todd

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 1.56.37 PM.png

I'm sure there are great Techs, but I think you got a NOT so great one.

Reminds me a bit of watching a Tech at a local Chevy dealer put a friends Gen 6 Camaro up on the hoist. ZERO attention to WHERE the pads were under the car.Tech did damage to the underside.As well as damned near slid it off the lift!  There are SPECIFIC jacking points with that  gen  camaro.   Guy didn't care.

Larggr on the front work well only if you travel faster and for greater distances in Reverse than Drive. Take back and have the dealer install them properly.

OEM guards on the Silverados are moron proof, forward mounted rear stone guards come stock so there is only one side to install the mud guards. Reminds me of the time a neighbor came back from a "tire specialty shop" with his 2 new snow tires mounted on the rear wheels of his FWD Toronado.

DSCN0969.JPG.81a90a9c229bef86f0190ff4beeecd70.JPG

• Haha 1

Yeah I had a sneaking suspicion that's what happened. The dealer is quite a ways away so we'll see what they do, it's almost not worth the 3+ hour trip to get them fixed.   It makes me seriously scared how they installed the other stuff :)   They look fine but as someone above said, who knows if the holes aligned or they just drilled new ones 

Worst part is, even if I wanted to swap them, I'm not sure the rear factory short rear ones would go on the front, and they didn't give me the original parts back, that was a slip up on my part I usually always ask for any replaced part for something like that. 

Standby for unhappy dealer email.

Thanks

Todd

23 hours ago, todd308 said:

So I just picked up a 2020 AT4 and I had the dealer install the GM Splash Guards front and rear, and on the rear they installed them on the cab side of the wheel wells.   This seems backwards to me, I've always seen/installed splash/mud guards on the rear of the wheel well. 

Interestingly looking at the GM site pictures it does seem like they show the rear version mounted on the cab side.   I guess it helps keep spray/junk off the truck cab side, but it seems like if I want rearward mud guards I'll have to either buy another set, or something else molded for it.  They are shorter than I thought they'd be so it's probably best to get something longer on the rear anyway.  Just thought it was odd.

Thanks,

Todd

My AT4 is exactly the same, 1 in front of the tire, and 1 in the back.

IMG_0757.jpg

It is interesting, because if you do the GMC build it clearly puts them on the rear of the vehicle.   The GM instructions don't seem to really clearly indicate what side the go on, to the cab or exhaust.

Pics from the GM Accessory site though seem to show them on the front of the wheel well toward the cab (you can see the rear end in the pic)  the provide. 

Attachments are pre-post pics from the GMC builder, showing them added to the rear, and the GM accessories site which appears to show them on the front toward the cab. 

gmc_builder.jpg

640X640.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Michael621 said:

My AT4 is exactly the same, 1 in front of the tire, and 1 in the back.

Hard to tell from your picture angle but I think those are the stock ones, the "splash guards" are slightly longer and flare out a bit.

22 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Reminds me of the time a neighbor came back from a "tire specialty shop" with his 2 new snow tires mounted on the rear wheels of his FWD Toronado.

If you're only installing two new tires, it's generally safer to install them on the rear as it promotes understeer.  That way you can see the ditch coming at you, as opposed to going into the rhubarb backwards.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Salsa De Piña said:

If you're only installing two new tires, it's generally safer to install them on the rear as it promotes understeer.  That way you can see the ditch coming at you, as opposed to going into the rhubarb backwards.

I used to work for michelin and we did a track day demonstrating differences in tires (new on a mini van vs worn on an AWD BMW, underinflated vs over, new in front vs rear).  New tires in front vs rear was definitely the most surprising to me and the one most people get wrong by mounting them in front.

On 5/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, todd308 said:

Thanks,

Todd

Definitely done wrong. I did my own and the directions diagrammed and told you which existing screws to remove and where to drill holes that were additional.

GMCrear.jpg

GMCfront.jpg

GMCrear2.jpg