GM Splash Guards installed "backwards"?

Been installing the OEMs for the past 7 vehicles and the bowtie logo always faces the rear of the vehicle where it is most visible..

So the dealer is going to send a tech out to install another set on the rear at no charge.  I did take a close look at them, and at least from the screw holes you can see on the outside they appear "reversible".    Going to be watching him like a hawk, if it's the tech that did it, I'm sure he's not happy about re-doing it and driving here to do it.

I guess I'll have double splash guard protection now ? setting a new truck fashion trend!

Sorry about your luck.   Don’t wanna hi jack your thread, but something similar happened to me with my 2018 Sierra Denali.  Ordered the GM Rev Tonneau Cover and also GMC moulded splash guards as well.  So the dealer got the rear splash guards correct, but I noticed the front ones didn’t look quite right to me.  The front splash guards didn’t follow the contour of the black wheel opening moulding that comes on Sierra GMC’s for that model.  Got home and couldn’t stop staring at it.  Finally, checked with another dealership, gave the parts guy the part  # on my bill for the mud flaps and immediately told me they had GMC  flaps on rear and Chevy flaps on the front.  Maybe would’ve looked normal to some people, but looked very weird & not right to me.  Dealer swapped them out and apologized.    

7 hours ago, todd308 said:

So the dealer is going to send a tech out to install another set on the rear at no charge.  I did take a close look at them, and at least from the screw holes you can see on the outside they appear "reversible".    Going to be watching him like a hawk, if it's the tech that did it, I'm sure he's not happy about re-doing it and driving here to do it.

I guess I'll have double splash guard protection now ? setting a new truck fashion trend!

.02  Whatever you're happy with.......But.......Only another set on the rear? Each one is  shaped that way for a reason.....they have to swap them and do it correctly fronts in front and rears in rear!  The Silverados, and ditto the Sierras, come with a small flap on the forward rear wheel well which is designed to provide an aerodynamic flow around the wheel well and save a zillion dollars worth of gas......the larger rear flap in the front will interfere with the air flow......since fronts and rears are designed to work in tandem probably won't make a difference in gas mileage but may cause a noise/whistle/howl at certain speeds and/or the larger flap may trap excess mud/ice buildup in the front of the well. 

No charge? They already charged you for the job and they should do it correctly.....one look seeing  same sized flaps with logos facing forward and rear  on the same wheel well screams  that it is a half a$$ed install.

They sent a tech out today to put on a new front and rear set so they are both as they should be, and refunded me the cost of the parts/labor.  I also had him silicone plug the holes they have to drill to install them, which the old standard pieces covers up.  Tech seemed great, he said they've had this happen a couple times now over the years, for 3 reasons.

1) The instructions don't clearly say where they should go on the wheel well, this is fair I looked at them and they don't. 

2) They get a tech that doesn't know mud flaps should go on the back, lots of big city kids around here, trucks aren't that popular.

3) The parts are interchangeable, so if they try putting them on the front of the wheel well, they fit perfect and there's nothing to make them stop to think they are doing something wrong.

Crappy, but aside giving me a new truck (not likely), that's about all they could do.

• Like 1

The directions are worthless, they don't clearly state or show where the part goes.  In reality the blame lies with GM for putting out crap instructions, the average tech is not what they used to be, common sense is very uncommon these days.

https://ecom-dam.ext.gm.com/parts/documents/ISheets_84110084.pdf

What's worse is if you go to GM Accessories page on the part, it clearly shows them installed wrong on the front of the wheel well, you can see the rear diff and rear cab door opeing in the picture.   So even if the tech questioned it, and looked at the picture, they'd still put them on wrong.  Even GM can't figure out where they go!

640X640

Edited by todd308

Common sense behind the wheel.

Common sense doesn't exist any more, especially with the new generation.

Me, I would install a no drill mudflap.

:)

• 11 months later...
21 hours ago, SSsierra said:

Winks did you have to drill holes for install?

Seems like I did. It has been 2 years ago since I installed them. It was really simple though, no big deal.

You have the Updated  Truck. its designed to operate in Reverse  99.9% of the time  this makes them installed correctly. The Problem is they forget to flip the interior and door hinges , 

I would so be taking it back for the interior flip to match the  flaps.. 

Good Luck 

Stupid People Do stupid things.