Question About Towing

Hello All! I’m back in the GMC family as I recently purchased a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with 6.2L and 10 Speed Transmission. I love this truck. I came back to GM from the dark side having been in a Ford Powerstroke. I just didn’t like the upkeep of a diesel. Now to my question...

I tow a 8.5 X 18 enclosed trailer that weighs 3000 pounds empty. My Polaris Ranger weighs 2300 pounds and I plan on having an additional 400 pounds of gear in trailer for a total of 5700 pounds. I’m well within towing range of truck but do I need to run a Weight Distribution hitch? Thanks for any advice! 

1 hour ago, SMW said:

Hello All! I’m back in the GMC family as I recently purchased a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with 6.2L and 10 Speed Transmission. I love this truck. I came back to GM from the dark side having been in a Ford Powerstroke. I just didn’t like the upkeep of a diesel. Now to my question...

I tow a 8.5 X 18 enclosed trailer that weighs 3000 pounds empty. My Polaris Ranger weighs 2300 pounds and I plan on having an additional 400 pounds of gear in trailer for a total of 5700 pounds. I’m well within towing range of truck but do I need to run a Weight Distribution hitch? Thanks for any advice! 

You're owner's manual will tell you to because you're over 5,000 pounds.  That weight will put you right up to or over the tonque weight depending on how the trailer is loaded too.  I've done runs around town up to 6,000 pounds and had no problems but not sure I'd want to run on the highway like that for any great distance.

3 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

You're owner's manual will tell you to because you're over 5,000 pounds.  That weight will put you right up to or over the tonque weight depending on how the trailer is loaded too.  I've done runs around town up to 6,000 pounds and had no problems but not sure I'd want to run on the highway like that for any great distance.

So if I was to get load under 5000 Pounds, I can go without a weight distribution hitch? 

1 minute ago, SMW said:

So if I was to get load under 5000 Pounds, I can go without a weight distribution hitch? 

According to the owners manual, yes.  What is your hesitation in using a WD hitch?

6 minutes ago, TRKLGND said:

According to the owners manual, yes.  What is your hesitation in using a WD hitch?

I don’t know anything about them

1 minute ago, SMW said:

When adjusted properly, and that isn't difficult, they take some of the load from your rear axle and distribute it forward.  It will make the truck drive and handle better with a heavier trailer.  It will also squat less.
Get one with an anti-sway feature and you will have very good control of your trailer in a serious crosswind.  The only downside to the anti-sway is that you have to disconnect the sway-bar, which is VERY easy to do,  before backing up if you will be turning at all.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SMW said:

Load your trailer up and go for a drive and see how you like it.  Take it to the CAT Scales and weigh it to see how much is on your tongue.  If she gets a little nose high or drives squirrelly, get the WD hitch.

I don't think you're going to have a problem not using one.  When I read this the first time I saw Denali and thought of the wagon, not the pickup.  Your ratings may be even higher and should say so in your door jamb on the stickers and at the hitch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Load your trailer up and go for a drive and see how you like it.  Take it to the CAT Scales and weigh it to see how much is on your tongue.  If she gets a little nose high or drives squirrelly, get the WD hitch.

I don't think you're going to have a problem not using one.  When I read this the first time I saw Denali and thought of the wagon, not the pickup.  Your ratings may be even higher and should say so in your door jamb on the stickers and at the hitch.

I have the truck. Not a SUV. Owners manual says up to 7,000 pounds a weight distribution hitch is optional. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TRKLGND said:

The only downside to the anti-sway is that you have to disconnect the sway-bar, which is VERY easy to do,  before backing up if you will be turning at all.  

You don't need to disconnect the anti-sway on some brands.  I agree that Op should get a proper WDH if he plans to tow such a heavy trailer.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of trailer for a ranger.

Be sure to position load in trailer to get the correct amount of tongue weight.  To much or too little can significantly will impact how well it pulls.. 

A 'test pull' before heading out is always a good idea.  Will give the opportunity to changes things if necessary, without spoiling the first part of your trip. As swathdriver suggested, test pull will also give a good chance to do a scale check.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SMW said:

I have the truck. Not a SUV. Owners manual says up to 7,000 pounds a weight distribution hitch is optional. 

There you go.  Answered your own question.  That is not meant to sound sarcastic at all.  Please don't read it that way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SMW said:

Are you sure?   I would think any 6.2 would be over 9k for a conventional hitch.  Check your door sticker.  

Edited by MichLakes

13 hours ago, SMW said:

I have the same situation as you 6.2, 8.5x18 trailer around 3000 lbs and my rzr is not quite as chunky as your ranger but loaded i am 5500-6k i have an anderson weight distribution hitch i use, it rides much more smoothly and more controlled in heavy crosswinds. Without the WDH i get a little squat and is not as stable but that is remedied with the WDH. I previously used a husky centerline WDH and it worked fine but it is very heavy and was a pain in the butt to flip the bars in place and nearly injured myself a couple times doing it, and it was extremely noisy going around turns. I have been using an Anderson WDH for several months now and it is significantly lighter, imperceptibly quiet and easy to hook up.

I would highly recommend the Anderson for safety and stability. Previously towed trailer with a V8 grand cherokee and it would not have been possible without the WDH. 

20200527_215707.jpg

Edited by Greyhound6.2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a video explaining WD hitch.  He also has sway control added - I have always used this on bigger trailers in past and it is a great addition as well. I would get one if over 7,000 lbs for sure - not expensive and really helps out.  

No big deal to use one and it does improve towing performance all around.  I also have enclosed that I use for track car and/or rzr so 6,500 lbs with rzr and about 8,500 with car and stuff.  I have 2019 AT4 and tows great. 

link: 

• Like 1