New to me 2013 Silverado

Hi All,

Its been awhile since I've been active on these forums, but I'm back. I've really enjoyed my Accord V6 coupe as my daily driver, but with a growing family being active outdoors it was time to get something else. I just traded it in for my 3rd GM truck and my first Silverado.  I started with an 89 Sierra, my wife and I still have our 2006 Sierra and now I'm adding a 2013 Silverado LTZ  to the fleet. The first two trucks were (and the 2006 still is) very reliable, I'm hoping this 2013 will be as well. It has about 70,000 miles and is a one owner truck. Clean carfax and service history, heck... it even has the original window sticker with it. I'm going to tune it to disable the AFM, and look into reinforcing the dashboard so it hopefully doesn't crack any time soon. Other than that i should be back to reading the forums more and participating in some conversations.

If you have any suggestions for a new GMT-900 owner don't be shy.

Oh... and since this post is worthless without a picture....

silverado.JPG

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sierra89 said:

Hi All,

Its been awhile since I've been active on these forums, but I'm back. I've really enjoyed my Accord V6 coupe as my daily driver, but with a growing family being active outdoors it was time to get something else. I just traded it in for my 3rd GM truck and my first Silverado.  I started with an 89 Sierra, my wife and I still have our 2006 Sierra and now I'm adding a 2013 Silverado LTZ  to the fleet. The first two trucks were (and the 2006 still is) very reliable, I'm hoping this 2013 will be as well. It has about 70,000 miles and is a one owner truck. Clean carfax and service history, heck... it even has the original window sticker with it. I'm going to tune it to disable the AFM, and look into reinforcing the dashboard so it hopefully doesn't crack any time soon. Other than that i should be back to reading the forums more and participating in some conversations.

If you have any suggestions for a new GMT-900 owner don't be shy.

Oh... and since this post is worthless without a picture....

silverado.JPG

If I could make a suggestion. If you are going to just disable the AFM with programming I would get an AFM Range disabler. It's a plug in for the DLC and also gives you a little bit better throttle response on early acceleration (removes the lag. If that's all it did it would be worth it.) They are less expensive than the programming and the best part... If you upgrade to a newer vehicle with AFM. You remove it and plug it into the new vehicle. No added cost.

Just my opinion. I am actually in the process of making a review video on it as we speak. It is super nice.

Range Tech AFM Disable -  https://amzn.to/3cav3Ck

Nice looking truck.  Well, you probably know to keep the fluids clean, use GM OE or ACDelco Professional parts and get a Tech-2 or equivalent to work on  your trucks.  Get a BlackBear tune, not only to disable AFM but to improve the performance of the transmission.

I upgraded my front end to match the 2012 -13 LTZ style like yours except mine is all white. I have an LT.

I have the Range which disables the AFM system and leaves it in V8 mode all the time.

You didn't say what engine you have in it, I have the 5.3L and I don't lose any mileage with the Range either.

Mine is the 2009 and I don't have any dash cracking issues with it yet. I hope you don't either.

Looks like a nice truck.

Drive safe.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check out the Range AFM disabler. Glad that it sounds like MPG is not effected much if at all. As much as I would like decent MPG, this is a truck and long term reliability is way more important to me. Yes she has the 5.3.

This truck has the 20inch rim option. The rims look really nice but I wasn't stuck on having such large rims. I'd like some more sidewall because I do use my trucks as a truck. Does any one know how tall of tire I can put these on these rims without any modification? I believe its a stock P275/55R20 tire now, can I go to 275/60 or 65?

Thanks.

-Needs trans or oil cooler lines now or soon
-Gonna need oil pan gasket/rear main by 150k
-Take a look at rear headliner it may be leaking at the third lamp they’re notorious for it
-brakes switches go bad sometimes
-you don’t need to ‘reinforce’ the dash just replace the upper vent panel the clips break then cause the dash itself to vibrate and break. ALWAYS USE A DAMN SUN SHADE. AND NO ARMOR ALL.
-Gonna need to remove the body plugs in the doors underneath the lower rubber molding along bottom of door otherwise ur door will cause a water leak
-you got power fold mirrors? Those always go bad people hit them
-you’re gonna need an oil pressure switch. Remove the stupid oil pressure switch filter under the switch it’s stupid and lowers the gauge reading when they get older
-replace the rear shocks over time they start to sag and you won’t really notice much but when you put a new set on you’ll be all “wow didn’t know it sat that high”
-bulbs. Check them. The 900’s eat bulbs. Idk why, just do. Mostly Yukon/Tahoe but still.
-lol I bet all the buttons are scratched up, go to amazon and get the sticker kits 10/10 worth it
-center console leather likes to split amazon has aftermarket ones that look nice for cheap
-motor mounts like to break on the 6.2’s and sometimes the 5.3’s just look out for it if you feel the thing hammer under the hood under accel u need one
-sometimes the front end will shift around hard when turning that means the diff brackets are getting weak no big deal but it happens
-if you have a belt squeal in the AM it’s the ac stretch belt guaranteed.
-when ur at a stop light and the dash sims and the volt gauge goes down ITS NORMAL
-ur gonna need battery cables one day. Both pos and neg. everyone that complains about random electrical accessories going on or off or truck dying or whatever never listens to me but they need cables you will one day too
Ok I’m all out of beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 1:38 PM, Sierra89 said:

This truck has the 20inch rim option. The rims look really nice but I wasn't stuck on having such large rims. I'd like some more sidewall because I do use my trucks as a truck. Does any one know how tall of tire I can put these on these rims without any modification? I believe its a stock P275/55R20 tire now, can I go to 275/60 or 65?

275-65-20 - No rubbing with stock wheels.  That's a 34" tire.

On 6/6/2020 at 2:36 PM, swathdiver said:

275-65-20 - No rubbing with stock wheels.  That's a 34" tire.

Awesome thanks. That's about the size I'd like to run. Having only a 55 sidewall makes me a bit nervous for working the truck and I have no desire to level it at this time.

I drove the truck home a week ago and I gotta say I really like this rig. The Check engine light came on on the drive home and I scanned the code and it came up oil pressure sensor, which was no surprise. It went out the next day. I'm thinking I will leave it alone until it comes back on. The oil pressure gauge was a little low on the drive home in my opinion, but when I changed the oil the next day the pressure was where I'd expect it to be and has stayed in that range since.  I wonder if the CEL was from the truck sitting on the lot for a bit.  Anyway... thanks for the good advice guys.

Edited by Sierra89

1 hour ago, Sierra89 said:

Awesome thanks. That's about the size I'd like to run. Having only a 55 sidewall makes me a bit nervous for working the truck and I have no desire to level it at this time.

I drove the truck home a week ago and I gotta say I really like this rig. The Check engine light came on on the drive home and I scanned the code and it came up oil pressure sensor, which was no surprise. It went out the next day. I'm thinking I will leave it alone until it comes back on. The oil pressure gauge was a little low on the drive home in my opinion, but when I changed the oil the next day the pressure was where I'd expect it to be and has stayed in that range since.  I wonder if the CEL was from the truck sitting on the lot for a bit.  Anyway... thanks for the good advice guys.

My family likes them a lot too, enjoys how versatile they are and plan to add a few more to our stables too!  If your engine is a 5.3 equipped with AFM, there's a little screen under the oil pressure sensor that gets clogged up over time.  You can clean or replace this if you pull the sensor.  Oil pressure runs a little lower in the aluminum block motors but runs 1/3 more volume.  These motors like clean oil and the AFM system demands it to work properly over the long haul, the 7500 OCIs are just too long, I like 5000 and the motor still feels better with fresh oil.