LED Grill Lights Installed the Easy Way - The "Raptor Look"

Installed some Amazon LED grill lights.  I read a thread where guys were mounting on a 1" x 36" aluminum bar stock 1/8" wide.  I did it a different way.  I was playing around and found the threaded stud OD of the lights was just wide enough to "friction fit" them in the grill.  I simply put the light in the "receiver" as shown and tapped them in tight with a socket against the outer flange of the light.  They're in there pretty snug and I don't think I'll have any issues.  I did super glue the flange to the body of the light as the flange pops off easily.  Time will tell....

I think they look good without being over-the-top.  Comments welcomed, I have thick skin.

IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6820.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

Edited by rikhek
  • Like 3

Thanks.  I think if anything goes awry it will be due to the "cheap" lights failing.  They seem well made but how well can they be when they only cost ~$15 for a box of 10.   They're in there pretty good...

Edited by rikhek

I think it looks pretty decent. Considering GM has made it near impossible to add factor marker lights up top for 2020, this might be a good alternative for towing. Maybe even stick one on the running board, midship.

I grabbed power from fuse #40 which is Misc. Ignition.  Anytime truck is running they're on.

Link provided.  Note these are rated at 90 lums and I wouldn't want them any brighter.  Amazon has other similar lights by different manufacturers at the same price point but the next lowest lumen I saw was 120. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU7IT47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by rikhek

1 hour ago, rikhek said:

I grabbed power from fuse #40 which is Misc. Ignition.  Anytime truck is running they're on.

Link provided.  Note these are rated at 90 lums and I wouldn't want them any brighter.  Amazon has other similar lights by different manufacturers at the same price point but the next lowest lumen I saw was 120. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU7IT47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 8:04 PM, rikhek said:

Just so you know, I had initially wired my grill lights from that fuse as well but noticed they “flashed” when the auto-stop cycled and didn’t like that so moved to the side marker light fuse.  Just and FYI.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:16 PM, J2Jones said:

Just so you know, I had initially wired my grill lights from that fuse as well but noticed they “flashed” when the auto-stop cycled and didn’t like that so moved to the side marker light fuse.  Just and FYI.

Thanks.  How did you notice that as you can't see them when you're sitting in the truck?  FWIW, I'm not concerned as I disable the auto-stop as part of my starting the truck routine.  I turn the auto-stop off in less than a second after I push the ignition start button every time I start the truck..

6 minutes ago, rikhek said:

Thanks.  How did you notice that as you can't see them when you're sitting in the truck?  FWIW, I'm not concerned as I disable the auto-stop as part of my starting the truck routine.  I turn the auto-stop off in less than a second after I push the ignition start button every time I start the truck..

I could see the lights flash in the reflections off the vehicle in front of me at stop lights.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE: Don't waste your time on these specific lights.  One of the lights burnt out after about 3 months followed by another a couple weeks later and a third one today.  Shows you get what you pay for.  FYI, the friction fitment held up GREAT.  They didn't move at all.

I need to find some high quality lights that don't burn out so quickly.....