What oil and filter do you run?

For years, I’ve been running supertech synthetic and never had issues. Usually run a purolator ONE filter... I wanted to get mobil 1 for the Silverado, thinking it’s the best oil out there but doubting the cost is worth it. 
At Walmart, 5qt of M1 is about $23

costco has 10qt of the Kirkland synthetic for $24.99... seems to be a good oil. And I will be doing 5k changes with no towing really.

will this oil work fine for the life of my truck?

Yeah, on this, I stick to name brands.

I've heard stories of how these "house" brands shop for the best price from suppliers. 

I wouldn't buy Kirklands any sooner than I'd buy Amazon Basics oil.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve841 said:

Yeah, on this, I stick to name brands.

I've heard stories of how these "house" brands shop for the best price from suppliers. 

I wouldn't buy Kirklands any sooner than I'd buy Amazon Basics oil.

https://pqia.org/kirkland-signature-full-synthetic-sae-5w-30-motor-oil/

There are stories and then there are facts.

Please, read them.

Pretty good oil if used properly on short enough OCI's

Compare the facts to Mobil 1 and you will have a new opinion.

My best guess anyway. 

Now for the fun part

Let me get my drink and....

:lurk:

• Like 5

I switched to AMSOIL XL with the ac Delco filter. Although I have been reading up on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum being really good as well. The only thing I find with the Pennzoil is some of the additive package will settle out on the bottom of the container. I have shaken container vigorously before using on prior changes on my other cars but still seems to not blend. Neither of these oil are Dexos certified. PUP is currently selling for $25 at Walmart and Amazon now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mobil 1 Full Synthetic with AcDelco filter changed by the dealer. They change it, rotate my tires and top off my washer fluid for $99. As much as I paid for the truck, I can spare a few bucks for the Mobil 1. 

• Like 4

Whatever the dealer puts in. They rotate my tires and change my oil when the truck says it’s due. Cost wise it’s between $50 and $70 depending on promos. Can’t beat that, especially when you factor in my time to rotate my own tires without a lift. Much rather sit in the lobby and eat free popcorn.

Trigger anyone with that logical behavior yet???

28 minutes ago, steve841 said:

You take your chances, I'll take mine.

Warren Oil isn't exactly small time. 

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

Been getting down on the Kirkland 0W-20 Love the price!

TWO five quart jugs for $24!!! There's a price. :) 

To each his own.  I'm very shy about letting a dealer or (even worse) a quick lube place touch my vehicles.  Took wife's car into Discount Tire last December for a tire rotation and got 4 cross-threaded lug/lug nuts and one lug with no lug nut on it.  I haven't used my free GM oil change and probably won't.  First oil change was NAPA Synthetic (Valvoline) and I went with the oem AC Delco PF63e filter only because Amazon had them for around $3.99 back earlier in the year.  I usually run Wix or NAPA Gold though.

Edited by Foghorn19
  • Like 1

TWO five quart jugs for $24!!! There's a price. [emoji4] 

Testing kirkland out in my Kia Optima turbo. Heck why not. Engine has a lifetime warranty for self destructing. Bearing failure. Tried out the AMSOIL engine flush to.

10 hours ago, Foghorn19 said:

To each his own.  I'm very shy about letting a dealer or (even worse) a quick lube place touch my vehicles.  Took wife's car into Discount Tire last December for a tire rotation and got 4 cross-threaded lug/lug nuts and one lug with no lug nut on it.  I haven't used my free GM oil change and probably won't.  First oil change was NAPA Synthetic (Valvoline) and I went with the oem AC Delco PF63e filter only because Amazon had them for around $3.99 back earlier in the year.  I usually run Wix or NAPA Gold though.

I never let the dealer touch my vehicles unless it's a recall or warranty item.  I had one car come with free lifetime oil changes.  Still wouldn't let the dealer touch it.  I never took GM up on any of their free oil changes.  I've heard too many horror stories about dealers, jiffy lube places and independents screwing up a simple oil change.  I do it myself and it gets done right.  And I know I'm getting the Mobil 1 oil I paid for, the oil filter was installed correctly and the drain plug wasn't tightened with an impact wrench.  Actually, I have Fumoto oil drain valves installed on all my vehicles, which makes oil changes even easier.  And I can change the oil in my garage much faster than I can get it changed at the dealer.

• Like 3

on my trucks I've only used mobil 1 and acdelco filters, change it myself. spending $30 on the oil and filter from Walmart every 7 months or so isn't going to break the bank. acdeldco filter is what came on the truck when I bought it, mobil 1 has dexos, so I went with that. won't change my preference when I get the new truck.