In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

dwchapmanjr

2015 GMC Yukon - Rough Highway ride - Possible Magnetic Shock Failure?

I have a 2015 GMC Yukon Denali @ 36k miles.  It was Magnetic Ride Control.  About 6 months ago dealer indicated my right front strut was leaking and I found out quickly how much it is to replace one!

Driving the truck now on highway it has felt like possibly the shocks are not working so I took a look at the rears and noticed some moisture around one and debris on another.  Not sure if this is normal or indicative of a failure.

Anyone had one fail and see what it looks like?

https://imgur.com/a/SX5uu8f

Both rear shocks found shot, air bags not holding air, nothing to be seen; however, when truck was not level the rear shock air compressor would work continuously trying to fill the air bags to level the truck, until the truck was shut off.  Had the truck been left on would have eventually burned out the compressor.  Have a garage/mechanic you trust check them out (unless still under warranty).  If interested I can tell you where I found OME replacements at the lowest, but still expensive, price.  Good luck.

@Russ Swift - Crazy.  I don't have any issues like that.  My drive is just a little rougher than expected lately.  I did find some OEM replacements for the rear and they seem economical compared to dealer price $310ish.

I'm just curious if a non dealer can properly diagnose them since they're so complicated.  Dealer charged me $900 for the failed front one.  I may have them check the rears next time I go in although in these times you always worry they're hurting for business and may recommend it a bit earlier than necessary.

Thanx for info, I’ll add Rock Auto to my list of OME parts suppliers.

@Russ Swift If you're curious about what the inside of the rear shocks looks like I posted some pics at the end of this blog - https://blog.woohoosvcs.com/2020/07/gmt-k2xx-magnetic-ride-control-shock-inspection/

Pretty neat.  They have to be leaking for a while to start to break through the air bladder and show visible signs.

High Guys, I feel your pain!  I have had ongoing issues with my MagRide in my 2015 Yukon Denali - BUT WAIT!  I have good news!  My ride is now (last 2 weeks) SMOOTH as driving it off the lot!  Here is a very brief summary of what I did:

1. Had 2 bad shocks, 1 up front and 1 in the back = Replaced all 4x
    1. Result:  Ride was better but NOT smooth NOT what it should be
  2. Took it to several stealerships - No one could "find any issues"
  3. Bough this reader / writer: Autel AP200 (TH200) <-- Link to Amazon Best $70 I have spent on the truck
    1. Read and Cleared ALL Codes (Especially ride control)  Note:  I did NOT have any "check engine" codes or lights
    2. Result:  SMOOTH SMOOTH Ride - what it should be after having new shock all around

I am very very happy with the ride in the Yukon again. 

Note:  No matter how may times I asked stealerships to check ride control modules and any low level/deep codes = They all  failed, they said they could not find any issues

I just replaced all four shocks on my wife's 2016 Yukon Denali XL and it is still riding like crap.  The back shocks were toast and one of the front shocks had fluid leaking out.  Yes ride did improve but not to what I expected.  My Jeep rides better than my Denali and that just is not right.

I just replaced all four shocks on my wife's 2016 Yukon Denali XL and it is still riding like crap.  The back shocks were toast and one of the front shocks had fluid leaking out.  Yes ride did improve but not to what I expected.  My Jeep rides better than my Denali and that just is not right.

I was feeling the same way until I cleared all the codes. I recommend either having the dealer clear EVERYTHING or doing it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I did not find any codes to clear.  Anyone know if this looks normal in regards to ride height sensors?

20200831_182109.jpg

I imagine the ride height is whatever it is. What matters is that it adjusts tot he up and down while you drive so the shock signal is sent accordingly

jmac - I scanned mine and mine are fairly close to yours, 1.77 rears and 2.6 and 2.4 fronts.

• Like 1

I did the trim and no dice yet but I'm starting to think it may be a tire or balance issue at this point. I'll stop spamming here until I find a resolution (if I do). I could just be expecting too much out of the truck or have terrible roads near me. Seems to happen more at 60mph or so than 30-40.