Transmission temp

2 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

who ever installed it , did something wrong..

Thats what im thinking i let the sun go down and check it out myself I saw some videos on youtube and it dont look hard.. just got to pick wich one to do since there are different ways to do it

If your transmission did get that hot.  I would change out the fluid.  It pretty much is toast.  Especially since it more than likely isn't a 100% synthetic fluid which most transmission shops use the least expensive fluid that meets the specification. 

• Like 1

If your transmission did get that hot.  I would change out the fluid.  It pretty much is toast.  Especially since it more than likely isn't a 100% synthetic fluid which most transmission shops use the least expensive fluid that meets the specification. 

What’s the max temp for amsoil before it’s shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Bob2C said:

There is no specific temperature that I'm aware of.  If using AMSOIL's fluid the same rule applies as if you had the factory fluid.  The only difference is if you did get up high like 240°F you have way better protection since it is 100% synthetic.  AMSOIL did a study with their fluid on taxi cab's in Las Vegas during the heat of the summer out there.  The information is no longer on AMSOIL's site since it is outdated.  I'm sure if you Google it you can find were some other dealer has posted it.  I don't have it on mine because it is outdated.

The AMSOIL transmission fluid, ATL that was in my 2002 Silverado for 100k miles tested fine.  No issues at all and I towed a 4k lb trailer with it and the transmission would get up to 210°F on the interstate in the summer with outside temps at 98°F.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob2C said:

PAO has an oxidation initiation temperature around 250 F. Seals go next and so on. This charts fluid numbers are for mineral oils. By the time you varnish a PAO the seals are in trouble. transmission-fluid-life-.thumb.png.794ac83317a1d9195ed0011c651b32ff.png

• Like 3

PAO has an oxidation initiation temperature around 250 F. Seals go next and so on. This charts fluid numbers are for mineral oils. By the time you varnish a PAO the seals are in trouble. transmission-fluid-life-.thumb.png.794ac83317a1d9195ed0011c651b32ff.png

Thanks Grumpy. Much appreciated

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I'd be looking for a kink in the cooler lines if all else checks out okay. There was a TBS on that once upon' a. 

If the trans cooler return line is hot, it should be flowing pretty good. Would be cool if it wasn’t.

those are about the same temps I was getting with a faulty oem trans thermostat that wouldn’t open and my driver side line was hot and passenger side line was ice cold (ambient)

Edited by truckguy82

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

If the trans cooler return line is hot, it should be flowing pretty good. Would be cool if it wasn’t.

those are about the same temps I was getting with a faulty oem trans thermostat that wouldn’t open and my driver side line was hot and passenger side line was ice cold (ambient)

I should have been more precise. Kinked is not closed, just restricted so to an untrained hand....just saying....it cost nothing to look at all the hoses. Right? Free, simple and all???  :)

38 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

i have a feeling the installer forgot to install the pipe plug into the t-stat block... this separates the two lines, cooled and hot side... without the plug , there probably is no flow ..

That would do it! I just flipped the pill doing mine but if he gutted it and didn't plug it...BINGO!! hydro short circuit. :crackup:

9 hours ago, flyingfool said:

i have a feeling the installer forgot to install the pipe plug into the t-stat block... this separates the two lines, cooled and hot side... without the plug , there probably is no flow ..

So i pulled of the t-stat opened it up and no it did not have a plug, the little deal inside was just flipped. I went ahead and tapped into it and placed a plug put the cap on and installed it.. but no luck i drove for a bit and still gets hot 

Edited by Jcantu2187
  • Sad 1