Transmission temp

you could remove the transmission line from the radiator and see if oil is flowing when the vehicle is running. And if so the flow rate. Maybe there is a blockage somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah unplug the cooler lines and run into a bucket and see if they are flowing..

pick up a cheap harbor freight  laser temp gun,  shoot the lines, oil cooler,  torque converter if accesable... even the trans case and pan, good to note all the temp variations

next upgrade install fan on cooler

if your serious, pick up a used HPtuners module pre Bluetooth model, this will allow you access into the trans ecu for data logging all the parameters and sensors inside

Edited by flyingfool

Mine was just replaced by the dealership, in 102* i hit 202 doing 90mph for about 80 miles or more straight. Most of the 200mile trip I made it’s between 190-196*.

My converter went bad as well and is what cause the whole trans to be replaced. If your hitting 240 something is definitely wrong, or not flowing the correct way. When they flushed your trans cooler and installed new one did they flush it correctly or did they even flush it? Not sure of the quality of shop you went to but I have heard some places cut corners with that.

7 hours ago, Stevenmorris.us said:

Mine was just replaced by the dealership, in 102* i hit 202 doing 90mph for about 80 miles or more straight. Most of the 200mile trip I made it’s between 190-196*.

My converter went bad as well and is what cause the whole trans to be replaced. 

Anybody read the white paper from SONNAX on the 6L80/90 torque converters?

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/845-6l80-6l90-transmission-tech-advisory-consider-an-updated-converter-in-your-next-rebuild

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Anybody read the white paper from SONNAX on the 6L80/90 torque converters?

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/845-6l80-6l90-transmission-tech-advisory-consider-an-updated-converter-in-your-next-rebuild

Very nice Grumps!  I feel the 8L90 while it has it's moments is very robust.  Weak link seems to be Torque converters,Cheap wire harness and crap fluid that needs to be replenished often.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2020 at 6:09 PM, Jcantu2187 said:

So i pulled of the t-stat opened it up and no it did not have a plug, the little deal inside was just flipped. I went ahead and tapped into it and placed a plug put the cap on and installed it.. but no luck i drove for a bit and still gets hot 

Just to be clear either method works. Flip the pill OR remove it and plug the bypass. Not both.

You may have noticed when you had it apart that the plug itself partially restricts the lines flow in some positions. It will be obvious. 

That said...sounds like more that this....

2 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Very nice Grumps!  I feel the 8L90 while it has it's moments is very robust.  Weak link seems to be Torque converters,Cheap wire harness and crap fluid that needs to be replenished often.  

If you go to PATC transmissions you will note that the converters they use of severe service are billet on the clutch side. I don'[t worry much about Peppers box as I don't haul or tow with her and I keep her like an ice box. Gotta have some place to chill da beers. :)  

41 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

If you go to PATC transmissions you will note that the converters they use of severe service are billet on the clutch side. I don'[t worry much about Peppers box as I don't haul or tow with her and I keep her like an ice box. Gotta have some place to chill da beers. :)  

I am in same boat although I do notice my 8l90 is definitely meant to run hot and shifts accordingly to temp.  I don't tow either but drive frequently you have 6speed and they seem far less finicky than the 8's 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

I am in same boat although I do notice my 8l90 is definitely meant to run hot and shifts accordingly to temp.  I don't tow either but drive frequently you have 6speed and they seem far less finicky than the 8's 

I just put a shout out to PATC. Doing some fishing. See what I catch, eh? 

17 hours ago, Stevenmorris.us said:

My converter went bad as well and is what cause the whole trans to be replaced. If your hitting 240 something is definitely wrong, or not flowing the correct way. When they flushed your trans cooler and installed new one did they flush it correctly or did they even flush it? Not sure of the quality of shop you went to but I have heard some places cut corners with that.

What happened exactly that they approved a replacement transmission. I easily hit 185 driving around the city for an hr when its 86* out. Cant imagine where it would be at towing at its rated capacity.

What happened exactly that they approved a replacement transmission. I easily hit 185 driving around the city for an hr when its 86* out. Cant imagine where it would be at towing at its rated capacity.

The converter failed and caused debris to pass through transmission, which caused more damage. Replaced whole trans and converter with a 12month 12k warranty no questions asked at all.

11 hours ago, Stevenmorris.us said:

The converter failed and caused debris to pass through transmission, which caused more damage. Replaced whole trans and converter with a 12month 12k warranty no questions asked at all.

Which is exactly what SONNAX said. 

20 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

or you can try ordering a 2012 Isuzu NPR 4500HD torque converter, this is in one of my trucks and its rock solid, but it doesnt have the clutch system. so no lock up..