Multipro rocks, tailgate speaker DIY harness review!

@Mason603a is selling these at MultiProrocks.com and they are awesome!

i got the plug and play harness for the speakers and power from him as well ass the no drill bracket and precut inserts. Install took about an hour and it really sounds good! Almost looks factory!

if you want some speakers for tailgating, check this out!!!

F7ACD21A-7903-4B31-9D4D-E9FE63E77974.jpeg

54425E93-E37F-41F0-8EEF-B77EF3D71BBD.jpeg

76E4F1AF-3839-48F7-A17D-FC8FDD8EB694.jpeg

CCDEAD51-3645-4E05-91A5-F033C4D4BE07.jpeg

• Like 1

What speakers are you guys using?  I saw on their website where they used a bunch of washers to make the step clear the speakers and it looked anything but factory.  Do you have any clearance issues when folding the step up?

Edited by JAEDEE

8 hours ago, JAEDEE said:

What speakers are you guys using?  I saw on their website where they used a bunch of washers to make the step clear the speakers and it looked anything but factory.  Do you have any clearance issues when folding the step up?

I used Polk DB522, but you can use really any speakers up to 5.25” (max size). The step clears and closes fine without the speaker grills, but I liked the look and protection with the grills. I have since painted the washers black and it looks fine, only noticeable if you’re looking for it.  Photo attached of step closed, with grills on and washers/spacers in place 

B6CB6D53-C14C-4A4F-B8D9-725BFAE49503.jpeg

8 hours ago, Unwrntd said:

I also went with the polk DB522

here is a quick video of the sound, sorry for the background noise, neighbors AC was running

What grilles are those?  Did you have to use washers to clear them?

Edited by JAEDEE

19 hours ago, JAEDEE said:

What grilles are those?  Did you have to use washers to clear them?

Polk DB522 but with different grills, I did use some washers but not as many as with the grills that come with the speakers

• 2 weeks later...

I've also purchased the Soundstream amp and wire harness from John at Multipro products about a month and a half ago.  I used an adjustable hole saw attachment from Harbor Freight to make the speaker cutouts.  However, I'm only using two Polk Audio db522s placed in the outer left and right locations to maintain more stereo separation.   I don't quite have the amp gain turned up halfway, and let me say that these two speakers are PLENTY LOUD for me.  They are highly efficient.  Also, I didn't put grill coverings because I didn't want to add washers.  If anything, I find the install to look very clean without the grills and have no concerns about damaging the speakers.  I've been listening almost every day while working around my house and everywhere when sitting outside and LOVE it!   Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:20 PM, Jdel said:

I've also purchased the Soundstream amp and wire harness from John at Multipro products about a month and a half ago.  I used an adjustable hole saw attachment from Harbor Freight to make the speaker cutouts.  However, I'm only using two Polk Audio db522s placed in the outer left and right locations to maintain more stereo separation.   I don't quite have the amp gain turned up halfway, and let me say that these two speakers are PLENTY LOUD for me.  They are highly efficient.  Also, I didn't put grill coverings because I didn't want to add washers.  If anything, I find the install to look very clean without the grills and have no concerns about damaging the speakers.  I've been listening almost every day while working around my house and everywhere when sitting outside and LOVE it!   Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Thank you for your purchase!! I am glad that you are enjoying them!

17 hours ago, Smrtasp said:

Yes, That is all you need!

If you want to add LED lights, you will also need this:

https://multiprorocks.com/products/led-lights

Thanks!!

On 8/14/2020 at 8:35 AM, Chay Dommeti said:

Can you send me the link for the grill you used and also how many washers did you use for that grill setup?

Hogtunes SGF AA Replacement Front Speaker Grilles for 1996-2013 Harley-Davidson FLH Touring Models - SGF GRILL-AA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011J6OKA4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BYsrFbTJTBJ8D

im not sure how many washers, maybe 5 or 6, it’s not noticeable at all and the step is flush with the tailgate when closed

Has anyone had any issues finding dust, dirt, water or anything like that while doing this? I live in Canada and a bit nervous doing this mod and having the salt or brine just eat the hell out of everything. I was thinking if I cant go this route maybe I can install a boat tower speaker somewhere in the bed and get kinda the same result.