Where to hide key

46 minutes ago, smurfy71 said:

Guess I’ll check back here next year when my app runs out. Or just call AAA if I get locked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smurfy71.....opening the truck is one thing but how do you get AAA or any other locksmith to start the truck once you get in? If you have lost your keys for whatever reason, how would you drive it?

I was camping years ago, had backed the camper in place, truck was running with A/C on to keep me cool, I accidently locked the doors & as the truck door shut...Oh NO! I couldn't get in the truck, I couldn't turn it off, I was in the middle of the Smokies, no cells at that time (no coverage there even today). Had my diabetic son of 10 with me. Only option at that point was to break a window to get in. THEN, I remembered I had a spare key made & hid it behind the front license plate. It was a life saver. I gave that truck to my son and the key is still there. For the guys here worried about it getting stolen, go ahead and find the truck and you got the key too. 

38 minutes ago, ammoaddict said:

They make those magnet key boxes you can put on the frame rails somewhere.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Thanks for the constructive reply but I was hoping to find a more robust idea here than those key holders. I've heard of those falling off or disappearing for what ever reason. 

Find a spot on the truck and use black electrical tape to completely tape it to that spot up out of the way and covered with enough tape so water and such can't get to it.  Not like anyone is going to crawl under your truck and look for something like that.  To many places you can do it so that it can't really be seen unless you look hard enough.

smurfy71.....opening the truck is one thing but how do you get AAA or any other locksmith to start the truck once you get in? If you have lost your keys for whatever reason, how would you drive it?
I was camping years ago, had backed the camper in place, truck was running with A/C on to keep me cool, I accidently locked the doors & as the truck door shut...Oh NO! I couldn't get in the truck, I couldn't turn it off, I was in the middle of the Smokies, no cells at that time (no coverage there even today). Had my diabetic son of 10 with me. Only option at that point was to break a window to get in. THEN, I remembered I had a spare key made & hid it behind the front license plate. It was a life saver. I gave that truck to my son and the key is still there. For the guys here worried about it getting stolen, go ahead and find the truck and you got the key too. 

I’m sorry this happened to you, but I’m the 35 years I’ve been driving, I’ve never locked my keys in a vehicle. When we travel, we have two sets with us, I carry one and my wife carries the other. Maybe it’s an occupational hazard, I don’t leave my truck running unless I’m in it. I’ve seen too many get stolen that way.

In you case above, if that happened to me with no spare key, I’d break a window.

Thanks for the constructive reply but I was hoping to find a more robust idea here than those key holders. I've heard of those falling off or disappearing for what ever reason. 
They will fall off if they are stuck to the bottom of something, but if you can find a place where you can sit it on top of something it should stay there. I have one on my old Ford that's been there for years, it's sitting on top of the receiver hitch brace.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

might want to hide it behind the front license plate, drill a 1/4" hole on the key ring part, and use a wing nut to attach it to the lic plate bolt, use your imagination

Edited by flyingfool

1 hour ago, smurfy71 said:

I’m sorry this happened to you, but I’m the 35 years I’ve been driving, I’ve never locked my keys in a vehicle. When we travel, we have two sets with us, I carry one and my wife carries the other. Maybe it’s an occupational hazard, I don’t leave my truck running unless I’m in it. I’ve seen too many get stolen that way.

In you case above, if that happened to me with no spare key, I’d break a window.

smurfy71....I usually do the same as you BUT there's always that (1) time. I'm too old to screw around with every thing else. I carry AAA but it always depends where you are with them and if you have cell reception. Otherwise it becomes a BIG DEAL to correct. A spare key (hidden) is a very simple & timely solution to this issue. Do you  not agree?

I just thought this group, with all it's members & mind trust, someone would have a "answer" to the question instead of all the 'other' options.  i.e.  If I wanted to replace a water pump, I wouldn't need direction the an auto mechanic, I'd just want the procedure to change the water pump. Does that make sense. I could pay the $16/month so Onstar would allow me to open it IF I was within cell reception. but what if I'm not & I lost the key? they could open the truck but they sure can't start it for me. Hiding a $25 chipped key is cheap insurance & a good peace of mind, at least for me.

Thanks for your input

3 minutes ago, rav3 said:

smurfy71....I usually do the same as you BUT there's always that (1) time. I'm too old to screw around with every thing else. I carry AAA but it always depends where you are with them and if you have cell reception. Otherwise it becomes a BIG DEAL to correct. A spare key (hidden) is a very simple & timely solution to this issue. Do you  not agree?

I just thought this group, with all it's members & mind trust, someone would have a "answer" to the question instead of all the 'other' options.  i.e.  If I wanted to replace a water pump, I wouldn't need direction the an auto mechanic, I'd just want the procedure to change the water pump. Does that make sense. I could pay the $16/month so Onstar would allow me to open it IF I was within cell reception. but what if I'm not & I lost the key? they could open the truck but they sure can't start it for me. Hiding a $25 chipped key is cheap insurance & a good peace of mind, at least for me.

Thanks for your input

Completely forgot about these:

See the source image

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

might want to hide it behind the front license plate, drill a 1/4" hole on the key ring part, and use a wing nut to attach it to the lic plate bolt, use your imagination

@flyingfool....Good idea. I did this on my old '96 Z71. It's still there today! Unfortunately, my CPO truck doesn't have a front license plate...BUT I would have done this & not post this question. I guess I could buy one & install it (with the spare key)

I'll have to do as you mentioned, "use my imagination." Thanks for input

17 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Completely forgot about these:

See the source image

GREAT IDEA! I haven't seen this anywhere. Thanks. I'll look for a HitchSafe & see how they work.

I found this video....Humm..he picked it in a minute or so.?

This guy did it faster, not good but a good idea.

https://youtu.be/ympVA0GW1jE

https://youtu.be/_sBn_5dnBDo

Edited by rav3
added video

1 hour ago, rav3 said:

GREAT IDEA! I haven't seen this anywhere. Thanks. I'll look for a HitchSafe & see how they work.

I found this video....Humm..he picked it in a minute or so.?

This guy did it faster, not good but a good idea.

https://youtu.be/ympVA0GW1jE

https://youtu.be/_sBn_5dnBDo

Don't need this, you just put your keys in the hollow hitch, slide it in the receiver and get a combo receiver bolt lock.  Now it looks just like every other truck with a hitch still in the receiver.

combo lock

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Don't need this, you just put your keys in the hollow hitch, slide it in the receiver and get a combo receiver bolt lock.  Now it looks just like every other truck with a hitch still in the receiver.

combo lock

@Black02silverado.....I hadn't thought of this either. Good Idea. Simple & doesn't draw too much attention. I knew there where some great minds on here. Thanks for a good constructive idea.

• Like 1

@flyingfool....Good idea. I did this on my old '96 Z71. It's still there today! Unfortunately, my CPO truck doesn't have a front license plate...BUT I would have done this & not post this question. I guess I could buy one & install it (with the spare key)
I'll have to do as you mentioned, "use my imagination." Thanks for input
Do it on the rear plate then.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk