Where to hide key

Just now, rbrjr1 said:

0061747ca577cb1c97ce0d2a0eb4e276.jpg

Thanks....I've never seen this on a GM vehicle. Nice to know. What did they charge for this? I will assume, with this, you could just hide a spare key inside the cab, you your code to open the door, then find your hidden key & start her up. Very interesting & would have solved my "hiding a spare key" concerns. Thanks for sharing.

1 minute ago, rav3 said:

Thanks....I've never seen this on a GM vehicle. Nice to know. What did they charge for this? I will assume, with this, you could just hide a spare key inside the cab, you your code to open the door, then find your hidden key & start her up. Very interesting & would have solved my "hiding a spare key" concerns. Thanks for sharing.

it's not cheap, $225 at our dealership.  It required dealer install because there is a code that they have to get from GM according to the VIN to program it? (they waited 4-5 hours for GM to get back with them)..

I've seen the part number for sale on Ebay for around $130ish if you can get someone to install it.. (maybe the Dealer will install your part for a fee?)

my wife handled it for Fathers Day..

1 minute ago, rbrjr1 said:

it's not cheap, $225 at our dealership.  It required dealer install because there is a code that they have to get from GM according to the VIN to program it? (they waited 4-5 hours for GM to get back with them)..

I've seen the part number for sale on Ebay for around $130ish if you can get someone to install it.. (maybe the Dealer will install your part for a fee?)

my wife handled it for Fathers Day..

Thanks again.....That was a sweet nice fathers day gift! You've got a keeper!

I ordered it from Amazon with free shipping.  I think it was the same as the one in the link. I actually have a nice hitch cover that the key fits in & it's relatively hidden. The combination hitch pin just adds a level of security (even though it can be picked). I actually found another good hiding place while surfing Youtube but because of the eyes of thief's are here as some have mentioned, I'd have to kill you! [emoji85]  the hitch will do for now.
Let us know how you like it once it arrives.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

On 8/4/2020 at 2:57 PM, rav3 said:

Thanks again.....That was a sweet nice fathers day gift! You've got a keeper!

Be forewarned:  unlike the Ford's keypads (which are hardwired,) GM's stick-on keypads are battery powered and non-serviceable to boot.  Not only do you have the fear of the battery dying in the back of your mind (so you end up carrying your keys with you all the time anyway,) you also get the joy of forking over more cash for a new pad and programming when the battery dies.

28 minutes ago, Cheverado said:

this is where I hide mine:

IMG_8236.jpg

Good idea Cheverado. I do this for one of my BMW's BUT it came with a nice compact plastic key small enough to fit in my little pocket knife's pouch, which I carry on me all the time. However, the Chevy key is a little big for that.  Maybe I need to look for a bigger wallet! 

20200806_153002.jpg

• 3 months later...