Where to hide key

Never found anything better than Heating and air condition vent tape , the silver aluminum .stuff. I have taped keys under the fenders, hood trim , and had to cut it out with a pocket knife when I sold the truck , or need it. You see I watched My late father hunting in the back woods lock his keys in his sharp 79 chevy PU, and before I could say dad don't, he popped the window. So call me crazy I always have a spare someplace on the truck. Screw technology  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badge171 said:

Never found anything better than Heating and air condition vent tape , the silver aluminum .stuff. I have taped keys under the fenders, hood trim , and had to cut it out with a pocket knife when I sold the truck , or need it. You see I watched My late father hunting in the back woods lock his keys in his sharp 79 chevy PU, and before I could say dad don't, he popped the window. So call me crazy I always have a spare someplace on the truck. Screw technology  

Thanks for the reply badge171.....I feel exactly the same way. It's cheap insurance. FYI, I used that same silver tape on my last truck. The front plate holder on my '96 would allow you to just slide the plate in from the top. No screws holding it in. I just taped a spare key to the back of that plate and slide it in place. Easy peazy! Saved me from breaking a side window one time. Well worth it.

1 minute ago, Frankielozano214 said:

Probably invest in one of these and a alarm that allows u to use a app to open your truck, I personally would never leave a extra set of keys in my truck, shi+ I don’t even like leaving my pistol in it ? 

472AD43E-DC36-4897-B346-3E5566E2443B.jpeg

WOW!  That's quite a safe. 

• Like 1

Don't need this, you just put your keys in the hollow hitch, slide it in the receiver and get a combo receiver bolt lock.  Now it looks just like every other truck with a hitch still in the receiver.

combo lock
That's a dang good idea. Thanks for sharing. It might be a pain if your pulling a trailer, but other than that, it's a great idea.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ammoaddict said:

That's a dang good idea. Thanks for sharing. It might be a pain if your pulling a trailer, but other than that, it's a great idea.

Me too? I just ordered a new comb type hitch pin lock. The spare key has found a home!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rbrjr1 said:

DONT..

go to the dealership and have them install the keypad entry. (works like a code-activated keyfob).

I LOVE it on my truck..

I've only seen this on FORDs. I didn't know GM offered this. Can you post a picture of yours?

Me too[emoji16] I just ordered a new comb type hitch pin lock. The spare key has found a home!
Did you order the one from the link or did you find a different one? I'm thinking seriously about doing that too. I would have never thought of that, great idea.

1 hour ago, ammoaddict said:

Did you order the one from the link or did you find a different one? I'm thinking seriously about doing that too. I would have never thought of that, great idea.

I ordered it from Amazon with free shipping.  I think it was the same as the one in the link. I actually have a nice hitch cover that the key fits in & it's relatively hidden. The combination hitch pin just adds a level of security (even though it can be picked). I actually found another good hiding place while surfing Youtube but because of the eyes of thief's are here as some have mentioned, I'd have to kill you! ?  the hitch will do for now.

Edited by rav3

On 8/2/2020 at 2:42 PM, ammoaddict said:

It's not that way anymore. I bought my truck in 2018, it only worked for a few months, can't remember how many.

I've been using mine since 2016 and never paid a dime? 

22 hours ago, rav3 said:
I've only seen this on FORDs. I didn't know GM offered this. Can you post a picture of yours?

They didn't put it exactly where I would have installed it, but i love it.

I haven't looked at the instructions about replacing the battery but it's essentially a code-key fob that sticks to the door with 3M tape.

go to the GM website and search through the available accessories for your vehicle. I dont know if it works with "proximity unlock" setups.. but I dont see why it wouldn't.
0061747ca577cb1c97ce0d2a0eb4e276.jpg

Edited by rbrjr1