Stereo Upgrades

Yesterday I ordered a 2021 3500HD and will be trading my 2019 Trail Boss LT. In the 1500, the Bose was available with the LT in convenience package 2. In the HD, it’s not available in the LT and requires LTZ. I don’t want the extra chrome goodies in the LTZ at a cost of about 5,000 more (I know there are other extras such as LED headlamps and ventilated seats but nothing I desire for the extra cost). I’m not interested in going to a full blown custom stereo install; but would like to add some upgrades to enhance the sound. Perhaps a subwoofer. Can anyone suggest some relatively mild upgrades which won’t require tearing into dash or excessive wiring modifications? Thanks in advance.

arent peeps adding that chevy accessory sub woofer or box that goes under rear seat....made by kicker i think....said it really helps the standard radio and am sure there are others out there as well......

but you can also have them install it and it would be complete when you receive the truck

Edited by Dunn

Requires work you don’t want to do but i upgraded (added) better front speakers in dash and new door speakers. Mine is is WT so basic model. Of course the stereo is so ridiculously basic that it doesn’t even have a balance or fader control which is totally assinine. But the speaker upgrade did add much needed sound 

On 8/26/2020 at 7:20 AM, CT Chevy Connoisseur said:

Requires work you don’t want to do but i upgraded (added) better front speakers in dash and new door speakers. Mine is is WT so basic model. Of course the stereo is so ridiculously basic that it doesn’t even have a balance or fader control which is totally assinine. But the speaker upgrade did add much needed sound 

i had a 19 RST and now 20 2500 and interiors are identical...

EDIT: this is meant for trailboss1

Edited by Dunn

On 8/23/2020 at 7:13 PM, TrailBoss1 said:

Thanks! I’ve looked at that and would consider it; just not sure if it fits since it’s marketed for the 1500. I assume the rear seat bolts which are used for mounting are in the same position for the 1500 and HD series trucks?

post above i did is meant for you.....i believe they are identical

• 4 weeks later...

The stock speakers in the non Bose system are terrible. The best bang for the buck is swapping those out. I added Infinity Reference to the doors and Kenwood Excelon to the dash, nothing fancy the whole set was under $300 on Crutchfield. I’ve also added the kicker sub and amp, it does make everything sound a bit better and add quite a bit at the low end. I don’t know if I’d buy the kicker kit if I installed the speakers before ordering. Start with speakers, then look at the kicker kit if you want to limit modifications to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thread from last year, but how hard are we talking to remove the door panels? I would just like to do a plug and play swap of the door speakers only but I'm not sure what all is involved.  I can really only find the new body 1500s on youtube. Are they the same doors as my 2021 2500 LT?  I guess I'm just nervous removing door panels on a 2 week old truck. But these stock speakers suck. Ha

Two 7mm screws on bottom of door. One behind door pull handle and two behind wood grain (or similar trim piece). Pry trim piece on the fat end first. 5 screws total. Once those are out start at front bottom corner and snatch the panel toward you. Plastic pins will pop right out. Two minute ordeal.

18 minutes ago, wade_660 said:

Two 7mm screws on bottom of door. One behind door pull handle and two behind wood grain (or similar trim piece). Pry trim piece on the fat end first. 5 screws total. Once those are out start at front bottom corner and snatch the panel toward you. Plastic pins will pop right out. Two minute ordeal.

Awesome. Doesn't sound that bad and that sounds like what I saw on the 1500 video. Thanks! 

Wow!!! $700 for that kicker kit!! 
Anyone got good pics of what it looks like installed. Also where does it tie in to the factory harness for signal to power up and rca plugs for the sound. Or whatever it is they use. Google images weren’t that great.