What are ya'll doing for oil changes?

Just picked up my 2020 LT Trail Boss 5.3L this past weekend. Thinking about oil changes and such. I usually do my own and used either Mobile1 or Castrol GTX full synthetic in my old 2016 Tacoma V6. I also upgrade the filters as well, going with Puralator ONE's for the most part. I stay far away from Fram and the other store brands. Had a bad experience with Fram in my old old F150 and I swore them off for life (well Fords as well but that's another story). Just curious what you guys are doing for oil changes and other routine maintenance? What intervals are you going with?

I'm doing my free dealer changes.. local dealer has such high volume in sales they do 6 years of free maintenance, use to be lifetime actually. My uncle has a 1992 GMC 1500 and only paid for his first service earlier this year.

But im doing 6 months as my distance will be less than owners manual.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Andyh1 said:

I changed mine at 1K miles as my first oil change. My ongoing intervals will be every 5k miles using Mobil 1.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Same here. Changed mine at the dealer around 1K (I think), then again on 5K intervals at the dealer. I live right by a big dealer, and they get me in and out in less than 30 min each time. For me, that's more convenient right now than changing it myself. 

• Like 1

I use Amsoil. I get it cheaper than market cost so it works out. Took my own oil and filter to the dealer at 1k miles and they did the first free oil change.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What are ya'll doing for oil changes?

Nothing. I hire it done.

Haha! I like wrenching on my truck, even if it's just oil changes and the occasional suspension thing. I'm cooped up all day on my computer programming, so getting out and getting my hands dirty feels good.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

Haha! I like wrenching on my truck, even if it's just oil changes and the occasional suspension thing. I'm cooped up all day on my computer programming, so getting out and getting my hands dirty feels good.

Remember to put your pants on. Easy to forget these days. 

• Haha 2

I usually drive it to the dealer and eat free popcorn.

If you want to DIY on the cheap with a good Dexos approved oil...go to Advance Auto Parts, look on their clearance shelf. Rotella Gas Truck was recently discontinued. I bought them out here, but I bet lots of the stores still have the 0w20 you would need. It was roughly $12 for a gallon jug, and around $3 each for a quart bottle. Can’t beat that no matter what. Otherwise Walmart has always good prices on M1. Just not THAT good.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BossTaco2020 said:

GM is pulling out all the stops for high EPA numbers. Even the ones that have proven not to work well long term. 2.4, 3.6 cases in point. Choice of Pure One is solid a choice as can be made short of by-pass system add on to lower efficiency filters. 

Oil degrades. ALL OIL degrades. There is no such thing as a forever fluid. I'm not personally convinced there is even a annual fluid unless the motor is used less than a few thousand miles a year. 

The use of ultra low tension ring sets is asking more from oil than owners are willing to admit IMHO. ANY gum or varnish will stick them and "any" is pretty early in the oil life cycle. GM knows this and 'off the books' has floated memos that much shorter OCI's that are 'book' may be in order. 

Personally I run AMSOIL now and recently changed and still change every 5 K miles. I ran Red Line for decades trouble free at 7.5 K intervals. That is before AFM and ULT rings. Before that I ran Mobil 1 BUT back then it was a PAO and as good as AMSOIL or Red Line in varnish/gum protection. THAT is no longer true. Just a Group III these days and the supplier for AC-Delco oil. A money grab. I heard today that EXXON/MOBIL has been de-listed from the Dow Industrial's. 

Anyway, keep it clean, change it often. 

• Like 3

GM is pulling out all the stops for high EPA numbers. Even the ones that have proven not to work well long term. 2.4, 3.6 cases in point. Choice of Pure One is solid a choice as can be made short of by-pass system add on to lower efficiency filters. 

Oil degrades. ALL OIL degrades. There is no such thing as a forever fluid. I'm not personally convinced there is even a annual fluid unless the motor is used less than a few thousand miles a year. 

The use of ultra low tension ring sets is asking more from oil than owners are willing to admit IMHO. ANY gum or varnish will stick them and "any" is pretty early in the oil life cycle. GM knows this and 'off the books' has floated memos that much shorter OCI's that are 'book' may be in order. 

Personally I run AMSOIL now and recently changed and still change every 5 K miles. I ran Red Line for decades trouble free at 7.5 K intervals. That is before AFM and ULT rings. Before that I ran Mobil 1 BUT back then it was a PAO and as good as AMSOIL or Red Line in varnish/gum protection. THAT is no longer true. Just a Group III these days and the supplier for AC-Delco oil. A money grab. I heard today that EXXON/MOBIL has been de-listed from the Dow Industrial's. 

Anyway, keep it clean, change it often. 

Where do you buy amsoil for a good price these days?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I change my own oil.  I don't trust the dealer, jiffy lubes or independents.  I didn't even take the dealer up on the free oil changes.  I can do it in my garage way faster than taking it in to the dealer and waiting three hours for an express oil change.  And I know it's done right and I got the synthetic oil I paid for.  I use Mobil 1 oil and filter.

• Like 2