Brand New truck did not pass CA smog

I live in the wonderful state of Komifornia. 

Unfortunately I bought my truck in Nevada 60 miles away,  simply because it was the only truck I wanted in the surrounding area. I knew it would be a hassle getting it registered. 

CA requires a smog for any vehicle coming into the state, regardless of age or emissions. Usually not a big deal on a new vehicle. My last out of state vehicle was fine.

New truck is a CA emission truck and has 190 miles on it.

I went to have smog done yesterday, and it failed. 

Some of the "monitors" were not ready. Smog guys says it needs to be driven more. Says they see this frequently, more so on gas motors.

Does anybody have ideas on how to make it "ready" quickly? or suggestions?

Thanks

My first thought is that you need to get 500-1000 miles on there.  The thing is still too new, many of those monitors do not sample things until specific millage intervals like Every 250-500 miles and such.  The good news is that you said that it meets cali standards. 

Second thought-  Go talk to your dealer service department.  They might be able to cycle some things using the Tech-2 or whatever they use on these new trucks now, or they may just tell you you need to get more miles on it as it is operating properly and you just haven't reached the checkpoints for those things on the truck.  But talk to the dealer regardless, and then you and the wife take a nice long drive up and down the coast, spend the weekend at a B&B and you'll likely have a happy wife and truck! 

Happy wife = happy life 

Happy truck = happy guy

Edited by Colossus

Also, I am assuming this is a gas powered and not Diesel?  And making sure this is a 2500/3500?  What engine? 

Diesels will definitely need a few thousand miles on the thing, it has to go thru a few good/satisfactory DPF regens to trigger a ready status in the monitor computer. 

14 hours ago, Colossus said:

Also, I am assuming this is a gas powered and not Diesel?  And making sure this is a 2500/3500?  What engine? 

Diesels will definitely need a few thousand miles on the thing, it has to go thru a few good/satisfactory DPF regens to trigger a ready status in the monitor computer. 

No, this is a 3500 Duramax.

This is not a big deal.  'Monitors' are basically self tests the engine computer performs on certain components.  In order to run all the tests, the truck has to be driven through various cycles of warm up, acceleration, deceleration, and steady cruise.  Usually these self tests will all run in a day or two of normal driving.    

On 9/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, kylant said:

I live in the wonderful state of Komifornia. 

Unfortunately I bought my truck in Nevada 60 miles away,  simply because it was the only truck I wanted in the surrounding area. I knew it would be a hassle getting it registered. 

CA requires a smog for any vehicle coming into the state, regardless of age or emissions. Usually not a big deal on a new vehicle. My last out of state vehicle was fine.

New truck is a CA emission truck and has 190 miles on it.

I went to have smog done yesterday, and it failed. 

Some of the "monitors" were not ready. Smog guys says it needs to be driven more. Says they see this frequently, more so on gas motors.

Does anybody have ideas on how to make it "ready" quickly? or suggestions?

Thanks

Follow this from GM as much as you are able:

Turn OFF all of the accessories, e.g., A/C, blower fan, etc.

Set the vehicle parking brake.

Verify the transmission is in PARK for automatic transmissions, and NEUTRAL for manual transmissions.

Start and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Using the scan tool trigger a driving regeneration and drive 112 km/h (70 mph) for 20 minutes, then coast down to 88 km/h (55 mph), accelerate back to 112 km/h (70 mph). Do this 5 times until regeneration is complete.

Drive at 72 km/h (45 mph) for 5 minutes.

Drive a city type cycle between 0–72 km/h (0–45 mph) for 20 minutes.

Stop the vehicle and allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.

Observe the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Status with a scan tool. All of the I/M System Status indicators should display YES.

If any of the I/M System Status indicators display NO, refer to the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table for the indicator which did not display YES. The I/M System DTC Table identifies the DTCs associated with each I/M System Status Indicator.

Observe the I/M Test DTC information with a scan tool. Verify there are no I/M Test DTCs present.

If an I/M Test DTC is set, diagnose the DTC using the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle and refer to Inspection/Maintenance System Check.

Observe the engine DTC information with a scan tool. Verify no DTCs are present.

If a DTC is set, diagnose using the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. After repairs, perform the Inspection/Maintenance Complete System Set Procedure to verify no further DTCs are set.

The diesel monitors need about 300-500 miles to set.  Assuming you don't have a scan tool that can command a regen, it MUST do a regen otherwise you will have to keep driving it until it does one.  My Colorado diesel after I fixed my CEL under warranty took almost 400 miles just driving it to set the monitors (NY state).   

Edited by newdude

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Lfod1836 said:

Move... No smog test in Texas for diesel trucks.

LOL, Texas has nothing for me. Don't think I can snow ski, ride my snowmobile, or mountain bike out my back yard in any part of Texas  ??‍♂️

Where I live, I only have to smog it this one time, never again after this.

Update: I have 800 miles on the truck. various driving styles, at least 1 regen (I could smell it).

Monitors still not ready ?

7 hours ago, kylant said:

LOL, Texas has nothing for me. Don't think I can snow ski, ride my snowmobile, or mountain bike out my back yard in any part of Texas 

This is true. I have to drive a long way to do any of these things. :) But hey that's what the truck is for!! LOL

• 2 years later...

Just for future folks that come across this problem.  GM put out a bulletin on this situation and indicated the ECU does not even try to run certain monitors until the car has driven 1500 miles.  They do this to allow the Cat's to sort of "break in"  In other words they did not want people that just paid $50K for a car to get a check engine light in the first 1000 miles because the cats were still not reading correctly. 

This was of course never a problem in most states except CA that required out of state cars regardless of age to be smogged.  And it was traditionally never a problem in CA  because who would in thier right mind go to the next state over to purchase a new car when we got them in CA!!  Well until the market went sideways.  

Other manufacturers follow a similar pattern,  talked with a guy that brought a new Honda Odyssey from Ohio and had the same issue.