Is anyone else having issues with there sunroof leaking? Today marks 1 year owning my 2020 AT4 1500 and I just dropped it off for the 3rd time at the dealer for my sunroof leaking. First time in they said nothing was wrong. Second time in they said they had to adjust it because it wasn’t sitting flush. Today I dropped it off and they said there going to replace the seal around the sunroof. Every time I can visually see water dripping across the front of the sunroof into my headliner. I know I have read a lot of people having issues with the rear window leaking but no so much sunroofs.

7ABD0468-E75A-41D1-A91E-DA9C2C07AD2E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Drain tubes/lines can get clogged with dirt and debris causing water to back up and leak into the interior. Usually dealers will check these lines and unclog them for these kinds of issues.

I had a 2008 that had this same issue and water leaked on my lap after a rain one day.   It was only 2 years old when this happened but at the time I had no garage and parked outside all the time. Lots of dust and pollen mixed with water over time clogged the drain lines. Dealer unclogged the lines and everything was fine. Never leaked again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine leaks during a car wash. On the rear side. Haven’t experienced a leak any other time, could be mine just leaks under pressure. It’s garaged most of the time. I would guess you got a shitty install at the factory

• 5 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, Dbrace said:

Is anyone else having issues with there sunroof leaking? Today marks 1 year owning my 2020 AT4 1500 and I just dropped it off for the 3rd time at the dealer for my sunroof leaking. First time in they said nothing was wrong. Second time in they said they had to adjust it because it wasn’t sitting flush. Today I dropped it off and they said there going to replace the seal around the sunroof. Every time I can visually see water dripping across the front of the sunroof into my headliner. I know I have read a lot of people having issues with the rear window leaking but no so much sunroofs.

7ABD0468-E75A-41D1-A91E-DA9C2C07AD2E.jpeg

I have the same exact problems and mine is blue as well. About to drop it off the for 4th time. Any luck with yours? 

On 11/14/2020 at 11:23 PM, Z06JPB said:

Drain tubes/lines can get clogged with dirt and debris causing water to back up and leak into the interior. Usually dealers will check these lines and unclog them for these kinds of issues.

I had a 2008 that had this same issue and water leaked on my lap after a rain one day.   It was only 2 years old when this happened but at the time I had no garage and parked outside all the time. Lots of dust and pollen mixed with water over time clogged the drain lines. Dealer unclogged the lines and everything was fine. Never leaked again.

Great info. Location of the drain lines I guess this can be done by the owner?

1 hour ago, WeGone said:

Great info. Location of the drain lines I guess this can be done by the owner?

One of the reasons I'll never own a sunroof. But you can do it yourself, open the sunroof in the 2 corners you will see a hole little smaller then a pencil those are the drain holes take a cup of water and dump down the hole and see if it goes down if not then its plugged now you can take some weedeater string don't use metal coat hanger or bailing wire as some of those drain tubes are plastic or rubber and you can poke a hole in the line or you can use a can of compressed air and blow down the hole to clear it out if the caned air doesn't work and it blows back at you then your going to need a compressor psi turned down way low with a blow tip.

• Like 1

My 20 year old truck leaked when I first got it. I don’t think it ever saw rain with the original owner. I just sealed it. Don’t use them anyway. Every sun roof vehicle iv owned doesn’t seal. They have drains. 

• 8 months later...

In the post above mine Silverado4x4 tells were to look and how to check and clean. At this point I have not had any issues with mine but will be checking about every 3 months just to be sure I don't.

• 1 year later...

just got a 2023 sierra with less than 1000km on it coming in for water leak dripping from overhead console,i dropped down the headliner ,sprayed the sunroof area to test for leaks,the water was leaking between the plastic drain insert and the aluminum railing which contains no sealing of any kind.I ordered a new sunroof housing and same issue.I believe the lack of sealant/gasket between the drain area and the railing is the issue.The water drips from the 2 area circled on the picture.It does that on the passenger side as well.And the drain tubes are clear(that's the first thing i checked).

9013bd7d-f6f6-49a3-9500-d3a5ebad9d4a.jpg

Edited by Tech2

On 1/31/2024 at 2:09 PM, Tech2 said:

just got a 2023 sierra with less than 1000km on it coming in for water leak dripping from overhead console,i dropped down the headliner ,sprayed the sunroof area to test for leaks,the water was leaking between the plastic drain insert and the aluminum railing which contains no sealing of any kind.I ordered a new sunroof housing and same issue.I believe the lack of sealant/gasket between the drain area and the railing is the issue.The water drips from the 2 area circled on the picture.It does that on the passenger side as well.And the drain tubes are clear(that's the first thing i checked).

9013bd7d-f6f6-49a3-9500-d3a5ebad9d4a.jpg

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Tech2.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2023 GMC Sierra's sunroof leaking. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Tech2/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com